FoG:Emp team multiplayer ALPINE WALL vers 3: running!

Started by JasonPratt, December 01, 2019, 02:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

With Yskonyn and perhaps some other Grogs picking up Fog:Empires recently, and wanting to get into a multiplayer game...!

I've been wanting to try an "Alpine Wall" team game for a while. This would only need a few teammates (even only one would be super-helpful!) The idea is to provide security for each other's flank in at least one direction (and maybe a little mutual defense help), while we work to take over the alps as a wall against Rome's expansion (and the older Successor states), and also spread into central and northern Europe.

We might have to temporarily go to war with each other to trade off 'goal' territories, and otherwise check with each other before expanding to make sure we aren't encroaching on each other's game-assigned goals -- there's no way to trade territories peacefully in this game -- but otherwise we'd ally with one another immediately and stay that way as much as possible.

We win by surviving, and by CDF rankings (since Legacy rankings might be screwed up a little).

I would take the Rhaeti, who have the dippy start position of a primitive capital in the Alps (almost impossible to improve)! -- but also two good completely undeveloped lowland areas north of our capital (including apparently our original homeland territory as one of our goal areas already held.)

Potential team-neighbors north of the Alps (not south where you'll get steamrolled by Rome soon, and also more constrained by land expansion by the same token), as shown in the snapshot are:

Aedui: one territory but starts already on the Alps, too, and has a great though primitive army and defensive structure!

Marcomanni: one territory and probably never on the Alps, but lots of rich expansion room. Theoretically you'd donate cash to me once you've got rich areas going, to help pay mercenaries for taking and securing the Alps.

Bohoiemi: three territories, like the Rhaeti, but you'll have to work a little to get to the Alps and would be responsible for guarding a large pass. You might have to deal with both Rome and one or two Successor states eventually!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

JasonPratt

Room for one more then! -- we'll box the compass and spread out from there! Europa Uber Alles!

...oh. Oh, uh, maybe, um... some other slogan...  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

MetalDog

If you can't find anyone to take Aedui by the time you are ready to start, I will volunteer.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Ysk, that would leave you as the Marcomanni by deduction. You okay with that? Or would you rather have the Aedi? (They have poorer starting land but a better starting army and fort areas.)

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Speedy

If you want another nation to help against the Roman hordes I could take Dalmatia or Illyria.

MetalDog

Just to be clear, I am throwing my name in there as a placeholder unless you can't find anyone.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Then Speedy could take the Aedui? (Though Ysk may have first pick relatively.)

Dalmatia might be an interesting ally south of the Wall; and they kind of start on another wall. In that case, though, an Illyrium ally would be nice for them since they'll be cut off from the rest of us for a while.

JasonPratt

Okay, I'm going to set up the game.

The game (or "Challenge") name will be ALPINE WALL, and it will be listed referencing Grogheads.

Password will be Grogs (capital G).

5 players, in case no one takes the Aedui and MD still wants that. I can start it manually without him if the slots otherwise fill up or players cancel out.

Keep in mind if you're new to FoG:Emp multiplayer (as Ysk presumably is, at least), that you must log in to the Matrix/Slitherine servers using your Matrix/Slitherine unified account. If you don't have one, the mp login window has a button to lead you there. (I'm unsure if they ever combined this with their forum logins; the forums ran on a different engine than their website. Anyway, unless you're sure they're the same don't presume your Matrix FORUM username and password will work.)

3 day turnaround, which should be okay for any of us who are scattered around the world. If you time out, the game will take over temporarily; if you miss 2 or 3 (I think 3?) turns, the game will take over for you semi-permanently; but you can still log back into the game and take over at any time!

Fog of War is on, so unless the game is sharing information from an ally, you'll need proximity to a region (at least) to see who's there.

None of us are likely to have lots of Legacy points for a while, so I've made sure Quick Victory is off so that we don't get steamrolled by a Successor state or one of the new superstates (e.g. Rome). Legacy instant win will trigger only once the first place faction has more than 3x the legacy of the 2nd place.

I've turned on slower progress and decadence since we're likely to be struggling as decadence sinks for a while, and that hurts more in the early game than slower progress hurts in the later game.

Out of Supply penalty is on, so you (and the AI) can lose units if they're out of supply too long.

I think that's everything? Make sure you left-click your faction in the list! -- otherwise you'll default to Rome or to whoever is next down the list if someone else mistakenly didn't click their chosen faction!

Tuna

No Decadance to hurt the 'big' countries as they are running wild?

Yskonyn

Oof, trial by fire then! I had hoped to at least finish reading the manual before we started and ideally played one or two intro games. :D

I'll be depending on trustworthy allies for the first turns until I know what I am doing. Go easy on me please. :)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tuna on December 03, 2019, 09:20:40 AM

Same lesser dec for them; also same lesser progress tho!

I can recreate the game easily enough with normal dec/prog rates, if there's a majority in favor.

Tuna

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 03, 2019, 11:45:17 AM
Quote from: Tuna on December 03, 2019, 09:20:40 AM

Same lesser dec for them; also same lesser progress tho!

I can recreate the game easily enough with normal dec/prog rates, if there's a majority in favor.

I just think that is one advantage we have over the AI 'big' countries'.. when they're running rampart, their decadance is through the roof and you hope for and lots of time see Civil Wars.. If they don't have that, then they can go on being powerful steam rolling opponents.