Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

QuoteHMS King George V undergoing refit in a dry dock at Rosyth, Scotland 1940

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

QuoteHMS Ark Royal (R09) with a full deck sometime between 1956-58

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

QuoteA Squadron of the German High Seas Fleet Sortieing from Wilhelmshaven, 1910

mirth

QuoteThe patrol missile hydrofoils USS Aquila (PHM-4), front, and USS Gemini (PHM-6), center, lie moored with a third unidentified PHM. The Coast Guard surface effect ship USCGC Shearwater (WSES-3) is underway in the background. Location not certain, possibly the Keys. November 1989.

mirth

QuoteCleveland-class Light Cruiser USS Santa Fe pulls alongside Essex-class Aircraft Carrier USS Franklin as it lists towards its starboard side after suffering two direct hits from a pair of armour piercing bombs, dropped by a Japanese plane. Near Okinawa. March 19, 1945.

mirth

GDS_Starfury

that was pretty much their whole training budget for the year.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

Mirth, that is a very dramatic photo.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

For some reason I thought King George V was sunk in the Pacific, so I checked her out and found this pic of her:

QuoteHMS King George V, photographed with a huge hole in her bows, after the battleship had collided with HMS Punjabi in dense fog on 1 May 1942, at Seydisfjord, Iceland.

That bow, though.  :o

The ship that hit her, the HMS Punjabi, a destroyer, was cut in half and sunk pretty quickly. The USS Washington had to go right over her sinking remains and was damaged by detonating depth charges.

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 21, 2017, 06:25:59 AM
For some reason I thought King George V was sunk in the Pacific

You might be thinking of the HMS Prince of Wales, which was part of the same class. It was sunk, along with the Repulse, by Japanese land based bombers.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Yep, that was the one I was confusing.

besilarius

USS Pittsburgh lost its bow in a typhoon on Juen 5, 1945
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

USS West Virginia before and after her 1944 refit

AAR of her participation in the Battle of Surigao Straits.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/logs/BB/bb48-Surigao.html