Grand Tactician, American Civil War

Started by Phantom, May 04, 2018, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Can the War of Jenkin's Ear be far behind?  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tanaka

So excited for this one!

fran

Looks great, especially enjoy the look and design of the game. Thanks for the video links will check them out later.  :bd:

devoncop

I just watched "The History Guy"  1 hour 40 try out.

This is absolutely mindblowing.

It is described as having the best features of Total War, Ultimate General Civil War and Victoria 2.

Gaming heaven. :smitten:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Rayfer

Quote from: devoncop on August 05, 2020, 05:21:18 AM

It is described as having the best features of Total War, Ultimate General Civil War and Victoria 2.

I watched parts of it too and agree, it looks incredible.  I missed if he said anything about letting the AI handle aspects of the economic part of the game....I was hoping I wouldn't have to scroll the long list of goods to purchase, allowing more time and effort on building brigades, movement, strategy, etc.

hellfish6

I'm like 90% sure he said the AI could/would handle economics. My takeaway was that the economics were more important to keep track of as targets for raids and the like.

And yeah, for the first time ever I'm looking forward to a Civil War game. Probably more than any other game on my summer radar right now. Maybe even 2020... depending on how willing I am to distance myself from the Cyberpunk 2077 hype tsunami.

fran

The map transition is really cool, start from paper looking zoomed out view, and then allow you to drill into google earth like detail with 3d map.

Tanaka

Quote from: Rayfer on August 05, 2020, 06:31:56 AM

I watched parts of it too and agree, it looks incredible.  I missed if he said anything about letting the AI handle aspects of the economic part of the game....I was hoping I wouldn't have to scroll the long list of goods to purchase, allowing more time and effort on building brigades, movement, strategy, etc.

Yeah you can put all that on automatic if you want to.

Geezer

This has huge potential.  For me the real test will be whether the AI can play well at both the strategic and tactical levels.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

AchillesLastStand

Yep, watched parts of it and it looks like an instant purchase from me. I presume{?}Fort battles will be auto resolved like Naval?

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

AchillesLastStand

Pretty good video here. Not sure why it isn't embedding.
You can even change the color of your troops trousers and jackets when you recruit them.
https://youtu.be/GgL1eN1rKaY

MetalDog

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on August 05, 2020, 09:36:46 PM
Pretty good video here. Not sure why it isn't embedding.
You can even change the color of your troops trousers and jackets when you recruit them.

There you are, sir!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

devoncop

Some concerns evident about the AI (unsurprisingly given the stage of the game development and the complexity of the game) but the mechanics and game design look truly unique.

I just hope they can tighten up some of the AI behaviour.

Edit :

The developer has just posted this on the game Steam page :

Watching many of the first previews I could see that people try to play it like a typical RTS. Click every unit and move manually. I can tell you this will be very stressful in a large battle. The best way to play it is to sit back and be the Commander. Meaning playing on Corps or Division level and change only details on brigade level. If at all.

Another point is that most of the streamers have turned off the Fog of War, which is a game-changer IMO when you donĀ“t know where and how many enemies you are facing.

This needs to be borne in mind whilst watching some of the Let's Plays. In effect it seems that by moving units individually it may be breaking the OOB based AI which is why some behaviour may seem odd to some You Tubers. It is certainly evident that some of them have not realised there is a built in orders delay system in the game and are repeatedly clicking on a unit to move and getting frustrated when it does not behave like a Total War unit and react with robot like responsiveness straight away.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games