Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 06, 2020, 08:00:12 AM

I don't have a rig capable of running the DCS world...but I must say, that was quite the enticing trailer.  Are the battle scenes cinematic or actual game play?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on June 07, 2020, 08:37:39 AM
I don't have a rig capable of running the DCS world...but I must say, that was quite the enticing trailer.  Are the battle scenes cinematic or actual game play?

In game footage !

You should try DCS World (for free you get the map of the Caucasus region, the TF-51 Mustang and the Su-25T)    https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/
It should run OK even on older systems.  I could get around 30 FPS on my old I5-2500k with many settings on high.

Somebody even got it to run on a Surface Pro 3 m3 !   https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276702

mbar

Do not underestimate the free parts of DCS World. The Su-25T is a capable ground attack aircraft and has full audio tutorials. I remember how thrilled I was when I became capable of cold starting the TF-51 Mustang!

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 07, 2020, 10:19:46 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on June 07, 2020, 08:37:39 AM

In game footage !

You should try DCS World (for free you get the map of the Caucasus region, the TF-51 Mustang and the Su-25T)    https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/stable/
It should run OK even on older systems.  I could get around 30 FPS on my old I5-2500k with many settings on high.

Somebody even got it to run on a Surface Pro 3 m3 !   https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=276702

Thanks PD....and here I was thinking it had to be cinematic.   :o  I see Steam has the free option as well. Any disadvantage of using Steam instead of the link you provided?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Rayfer on June 07, 2020, 12:26:50 PM
I see Steam has the free option as well. Any disadvantage of using Steam instead of the link you provided?

Not really but I only have the standalone version.  You might get new modules (early access) sooner there than on Steam.

I also use this app (GUI updater utility - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053) and I don't believe it works with the Steam version.

Purchases on the ED website can't be activated on Steam but most give you ED miles (10% of your purchase) that you can use to pay future purchases (https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/miles_rules/)

More info : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/500/#1510447

mikeck

I've been playing with the new toys for the Hornet: AGM-84E SLAM, air to ground radar and the new TGP features. I've never used a WW 2 plane but I bought the jug. Hoping DCS can get me into WW2 air warfare like it did modern aircraft
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I've pretty much been flying exclusively carrier ops. Cats and traps, in both the Hornet and the Tomcat. I've noticed some annoying haze since the last update. It's almost like a strange bloom effect. It is very bright and makes it hard to read the DDIs/MFDs.

EDIT: Lighting is confirmed as a bug. Scheduled to be fixed on 6/10.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Jarhead, I hate to tell you this because it's going to break your heart, but...I think I'm going to break down the Obutto.

I just don't do sims anymore.  It looks like crap in my office, and it's taking up room that I could be using for an aquarium and a reading nook. 

I'm sorry, brother.  I think I'm going to have to bail from the club.  Maybe, someday, I'll have room to set it back up in the garage...but that's dependent on finding somewhere to put all my surfboards and I don't have any immediate solution for that.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on June 10, 2020, 06:13:58 PM
Jarhead, I hate to tell you this because it's going to break your heart, but...I think I'm going to break down the Obutto.

I just don't do sims anymore.  It looks like crap in my office, and it's taking up room that I could be using for an aquarium and a reading nook. 

I'm sorry, brother.  I think I'm going to have to bail from the club.  Maybe, someday, I'll have room to set it back up in the garage...but that's dependent on finding somewhere to put all my surfboards and I don't have any immediate solution for that.

Well, I'm definitely disappointed to hear that sims don't interest you anymore. I understand taking down the rig though. I went with a simple flight stand, even though I would love something much more approximating an actual cockpit, but I use my office for more than just simming and gaming, and such a large thing would just detract and complicate everything else I do.

You let me down for sure, but I still love you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Something smaller like a gaming stand would fit much better. 

I would like to get back into Wings over Flanders Fields, but something like DCS...I just don't see that getting any airtime over at least the next year. 

I might Google some flight sim setups for small offices and see what others have done to enjoy the hobby without it being so damn obtrusive. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

Jarhead0331

New button box arrived today!

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Nice! The rotaties are perfect for radio volume or radar tilt.  \m/

@Toonces, I run a 'pit' like jarhead shows on the picture. It's all quickly put out of the way again if I need to do other work. It works wonders and still provides some immersion.
I also recommend looking into something like the Jetseat. It definitely not buttkicker quality feedback, but still provides decent feedback to stalls, drag, weapon releases, etc.
And as its a 'seat cover' kind of thing, its not really intrusive and can be put away quickly if not needed.

Its the ultimate pit for pragmatics. :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

WYBaugh

JH...looks good!  Need to get you a nice mechanical keyboard.

Toonces

Hey Carl! thanks for posting that.  That looks like exactly what I would want.

I like JH's set up - much more elegant than my Obutto - but it's still overkill for my simming needs.  Something like those little on again/off again mounts would be perfect for those occasional simming days.

I gotta think on this, but that looks about right.