Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cougar_DK

I had a dream, a dream of Virpil joysticks for years. Pretty expensive and with no way of trying them out before buying. But this March I took the plundge and bought into their range of sticks:

Mounted the look like this:

And June I bought an extra base and stick for the long desk mount/extension for Heli flying:

Now I want to replace my old CH Pro Pedals ;)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Cougar_DK

My monitors are now mounted on gas-operated arms, so I can move them closer when flying since the mounts push me a good distance away from the table.
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Jarhead0331

^ That is all really awesome! Congrats on the new set up. I hear universally fantastic things about that hardware.  :clap:

What were you using before?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Cougar_DK

Thanks Jarhead, its really fantastic. I had full CH gear (from 2005), i.e. Fighter Stick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals and Throttle Quadrant. I'm (still) very impressed of the gear, its 15 years old and still working, even though the "pots" are a little worn and spikes sometimes. But they have done well and is in a box in the basement ;)
They Virpil gear is next level though, the smoothness and precision of the axis's is really good. And the number of buttons on the throttle is mind blowing (its possible to use all 128 buttons which is max in Windows). Not every game can use that though, Elite D I'm looking at you  :(
But DCS and IL-2 have no problems ;)

Jarhead0331

How long did it take from order to delivery?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Wow, that's pretty amazing.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Yskonyn

Nice gear! Enjoy man!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 14, 2020, 02:09:01 PM
How long did it take from order to delivery?

All of my gear are from the "old" times, i.e. you had to be lucky to get to checkout with items in your basket so I can't really talk about the new way with option of preordering.

My first batch was ordered 9. March, Shipped the 17. March and arrived 23. March
The second was ordered 31. March, Shipped the 9. April and arrived 15. April
The third was ordered 6. June, Shipped 12. June and arrived 16. June.

Cougar_DK

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 14, 2020, 08:11:42 PM
Nice gear! Enjoy man!

It sure is and a dream to fly with  ;)

Yskonyn

Quote from: Cougar_DK on July 15, 2020, 12:45:55 AM
Nice gear! Enjoy man!

Did you need to mod the springs on the WarBRD to accomodate the extended stick and keep it from wobbling?
I dont have an extension and find it a tad wobbly already.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 15, 2020, 01:18:49 AM
Quote from: Cougar_DK on July 15, 2020, 12:45:55 AM
Nice gear! Enjoy man!

Did you need to mod the springs on the WarBRD to accomodate the extended stick and keep it from wobbling?
I dont have an extension and find it a tad wobbly already.

Its not and WarBRD, its a VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base. It has three different springs and you can make them as loose or tight as you want. See this video:

And no, I have found a good setting for me for both bases. Both of them have the light springs and about 12 rotations from fully in. That gives at very easy to move stick with the extension (great for heli) and the other a little more force is needed to move it.

Skoop

Quote from: hellfish6 on July 11, 2020, 09:00:43 PM
DCS is still a hollow sim for me, but this Syria map looks amazing. If only they'd do something like dynamic tasking for helicopters - providing randomized purpose to your flying, like CAS or CASEVAC or lift or CSAR or assault - I'd fall in love in a heartbeat. As it is now, I know I'll buy this, fly it for maybe an hour with my Mi-8, wish there was some substance to it and uninstall until the Hind comes out. And repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgNdeeu8ApA

Everything you just described is available in dcs through scripting in the editor.  You don't even need to bother with it because cleaver computer savy people have already made complex dynamic missions in dcs.  You just have to be willing to fly in MP.  Some great servers running PVE only missions with all kinds of dynamic missions for every aircraft in the game.  The Fraternity server is the best one I've seen, the hoggit ones are good as well.  The mission on there Fraternity server requires the fixed wing pilots to take out the red aircraft and provide cas and sead.  Missions for Mi8s are for cas and landing ground troops to capture airfields to become forward bases.  Mission runs for 12 hours and either resets or blue force wins and it resets.   

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Skoop on July 16, 2020, 12:18:01 AM
Quote from: hellfish6 on July 11, 2020, 09:00:43 PM
DCS is still a hollow sim for me, but this Syria map looks amazing. If only they'd do something like dynamic tasking for helicopters - providing randomized purpose to your flying, like CAS or CASEVAC or lift or CSAR or assault - I'd fall in love in a heartbeat. As it is now, I know I'll buy this, fly it for maybe an hour with my Mi-8, wish there was some substance to it and uninstall until the Hind comes out. And repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgNdeeu8ApA

Everything you just described is available in dcs through scripting in the editor.  You don't even need to bother with it because cleaver computer savy people have already made complex dynamic missions in dcs.  You just have to be willing to fly in MP.  Some great servers running PVE only missions with all kinds of dynamic missions for every aircraft in the game.  The Fraternity server is the best one I've seen, the hoggit ones are good as well.  The mission on there Fraternity server requires the fixed wing pilots to take out the red aircraft and provide cas and sead.  Missions for Mi8s are for cas and landing ground troops to capture airfields to become forward bases.  Mission runs for 12 hours and either resets or blue force wins and it resets.

Or you could try "Liberation Dynamic Campaign" out: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214834

hellfish6

Quote from: Skoop on July 16, 2020, 12:18:01 AM
You just have to be willing to fly in MP.

I'm not.