Author Topic: Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)  (Read 51846 times)

Online Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
Re: Streaming Gems (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)
« Reply #570 on: June 06, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
This is only acceptable if you've been in solitary confinement for the last 10 years.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline MetalDog

• GrogHeads Mods
  • Arquebusier
  • Central Scrutinizer
« Reply #571 on: June 06, 2020, 01:44:43 PM »
When it comes to shows that people insist I absolutely, positively, MUST watch, I tend to not want to watch it even more.  I guess I like to zig while everyone else zags.  Always kinda been that way.  I'll get around to it when there's time.  Like when I am old and confined to a bed.  Gives me something to look forward too while I am dying.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Online Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #572 on: June 06, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
Iíve been married for about 20 years. Solitary sounds pretty good!
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline airboy

• Crossbowman
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #573 on: June 06, 2020, 02:02:31 PM »
We have just about finished all of the episodes of "Nailed It."  They take three real amateur bakers, give them something next to impossible to make with a lot of intricate decoration, give them too little time to make it, and give $10,000 to the winner (often the only one who makes something edible). 

Short episodes, light hearted, makes me want to make a cake with buttercream icing.  Not a hard core baking show.

Offline Silent Disapproval Robot

• Crossbowman
« Reply #574 on: June 14, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »
I watched the final episode of Giri/Haji on Netflix last night.  It's an 8 part series about a Japanese detective sent to London to try and track down his brother who has ties to the Yakuza.  Starts out strong but gets weaker as the series progresses.  Overall, I enjoyed it because the acting was first rate and almost all of the characters (even the 'bit' players) were genuinely interesting and had a lot of depth to them.  It was refreshing to see Tokyo presented in a non-fetishized way (although the Yakuza angle was cliched) and I actually found the story of the main character's wife and mother to be more interesting than that taking place in London.  Worth a watch but with diminishing returns as the story progresses.

Offline Con

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #575 on: June 14, 2020, 08:40:21 PM »
Picked up Doom Patrol Season 1 for $10 on Amazon Prime
It is hands down best thing I have watched so far in 2020
I am only 4 episodes in but it is dark, funny, poignant and has great character development.
Highly recommend

Online Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #576 on: July 29, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
I saw a very decently done movie on Netflix last night, "The Old Guard" starring Charlize Theron. It's about a band of immortal warriors fighting to better humanity--you'd think if they had been around for a few centuries they'd know that's an exercise in futility-- while staying one step ahead of all of humanity who's trying to catch them to learn their secrets. It had some great fight scenes and apparently Theron does most of her's herself. Based on a graphic novel it maybe turned into a Netflix series if it's a hit. I liked it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline airboy

• Crossbowman
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #577 on: July 31, 2020, 03:24:37 PM »
Picked up Doom Patrol Season 1 for $10 on Amazon Prime
It is hands down best thing I have watched so far in 2020
I am only 4 episodes in but it is dark, funny, poignant and has great character development.
Highly recommend

My wife loved it.  I found the plot a bit too chaotic.