Author Topic: Airbrush recommendations  (Read 3276 times)

Offline acctingman

• Man-at-Arms
Airbrush recommendations
« on: June 08, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
So, I tried my hand in 15mm ww2 miniature gaming and while it was ok, what I enjoyed the most was painting the tanks! Selling off my mini's and terrain I made  :bd:

15mm is a nice looking scale for gaming, but I'm looking at 1/72-76 or possibly 1/48th for tank kits. I found I didn't need an airbrush for 15mm, but anything larger I think an airbrush is going to be a requirement. So, here I am, asking any kits builders what you'd recommend for an airbrush.

Thinking I should start out with a used airbrush or something entry level as I build up skill and technique. Has anyone used those trigger brushes?

Danke!

Offline Barthheart

• Order of the Square Button
  • Arquebusier
  • Looking for walkie-talkies in 1809.....
Re: Airbrush recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »
JD just went through this... the thread should still be here somewhere....
PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

I'm not a drunk, I'm just Canadian - Shawn Germain

Offline acctingman

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Oh, great. I'll take a peek around  :notworthy:

Offline Barthheart

• Order of the Square Button
  • Arquebusier
  • Looking for walkie-talkies in 1809.....
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
PETS - People for the Ethical Treatment of Square corners

I'm not a drunk, I'm just Canadian - Shawn Germain

Offline acctingman

• Man-at-Arms

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
You mean to tell me we haven't had an airbrush recommendation thread in 4 years?  Wow are we slacking in this joint.

Offline mirth

• Tercio
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
You mean to tell me we haven't had an airbrush recommendation thread in 4 years?  Wow are we slacking in this joint.

The dongle threads have been all consuming.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can’t ‘un’ until you ‘pre’, son." - Gus

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »
I'd rather discuss airbrushes personally.

Offline acctingman

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
I do know that I don't want to spend too much right out of the box....I've used an airbrush a couple time many many years ago. Something used and cheap while I hon my skills. I'll practice on a couple cheap kits but after that is the help I'll need.

I REALLY like the look of these and from what little I've read, they seems to be very popular.

https://www.amazon.com/Grex-Tritium-TG3-Trigger-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B002XQ2K5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496942480&sr=8-1&keywords=grex+tritium

Review...

http://www.finescale.com/product-info/kit-reviews/2014/05/grex-airbrushes
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:24:26 AM by acctingman »

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
You rang?

I bought a Harder & Steenbeck Ultra.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Harder-Steenbeck-Ultra-Airbrush.html?gclid=CIn-ofzlrtQCFawK0wodODQJDw

It was a great brush, but I was having some difficulty with the trigger (it requires downward pressure to allow air and pull back pressure to allow paint flow). If you can control it, it's great but I had difficulty (because I was new to it - not because it's not a nice configuration).

In the end I sold that and bought this bad boy (similar to yours)

Iwata Neo Trn1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Iwata-Gravity-Pistol-Trigger-Airbrush/dp/B00HJ777W6/ref=sr_1_4/262-3946170-7516226?ie=UTF8&qid=1496944024&sr=8-4&keywords=airbrush+iwata+neo
or in the US
https://www.amazon.com/Iwata-Medea-NEO-TRN-Trigger-Airbrush/dp/B00HJ777W6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496944093&sr=8-1&keywords=neo+trn1

I love it. The trigger mech is much easier for me to use. It's easy to control paint and airflow, it's easy to strip down and clean and it's got a preset nut at the back (as do most - including my Harder & Steenbeck) to set the maximum pull back of the needle, limiting paint flow.
Alba gu' brath

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 11:49:51 AM »
I should also point out what I "skimped on" was the air compressor - something I plan to remedy soon.
Alba gu' brath

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 11:51:39 AM »
I've been considering this one or one similar to it.  http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Airbrushes/Neo-Gravity-Feed-Trigger-Airbrush/p/80732503

I'm just not ready to drop the money on an airbrush, compressor, and then another line of paints....yet.  Give me a year or two and that might change.  I'm really more interested in one for priming purposes, because I've come to not enjoy using the aerosol cans of primer.

Offline acctingman

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
Can't really find anything used in my area, but after visiting a Hobby Lobby I think I'm going to pick up one of those beginner $25 airbrush kits that take the canned repentant (and a bargain bin kit to practice on) to get a feel for everything. Once I feel my skills are adequate I'll graduate to a nice trigger airbrush.

Thanks for the info gents

Offline JudgeDredd

• Longbowman
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
I'll be honest with you I bought a cheap starter set (about £60 I think it was for the airbrush and compressor of which roundabout £20 was the airbrush) and I was having no end of issues getting any consistency.

I had no idea whether it was the brush or the compressor (airing  ;D  on the compressor because of the air feed feeling ropey). I posted around the internet and the general consensus was that the brush was not up to the job.

Changed the brush and hey presto - a working solution.

In short, I wasted some money. YMMV but I thought I should pass on my experience.
Alba gu' brath