Main Menu

VTOL VR

Started by Jarhead0331, July 11, 2017, 08:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I've been following this title closely. As far as I know, this is the first simulation with "virtual" control of the stick and throttle and a totally clickable virtual cockpit. I hope to receive press code soon.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/667970/VTOL_VR/

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Come on people...if this was another Civil War or Napoleonic game with stupid red and blue cardboard looking chits with numbers on them, you'd all be on this like stink on $hit. This is an example of true innovation in the industry and nobody has anything to say about it?  :crazy2:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bbmike

I doubt many of us have a VR set.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on July 11, 2017, 05:10:50 PM

This.

It does look cool though. If they can get a function cockpit working it will definitely get me to buy into VR.

Con

Looks like they used a Trump stand in for the pilot.....very small hands

jomni

Good proof of concept.  Clickable cockpits is definitely needed in VR.  How did they do it? 
Quite agile for an aircraft that looks like an Osprey.

Rayfer

Quote from: Barthheart on July 11, 2017, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: bbmike on July 11, 2017, 05:10:50 PM

This.

It does look cool though. If they can get a function cockpit working it will definitely get me to buy into VR.

Same here...no VR set.

mikeck

I get nauseous playing VR. But I'm excited FOR you!  ::)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Yskonyn

That's a pretty cool project, Jarhead!  O0

How would the actual pressing of the buttons work with the Rift's Touch controllers? Do you reach out to a button in the pit and still press a button on the Touch controller?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2017, 04:52:01 PM
Come on people...if this was another Civil War or Napoleonic game with stupid red and blue cardboard looking chits with numbers on them, you'd all be on this like stink on $hit. This is an example of true innovation in the industry and nobody has anything to say about it?  :crazy2:
lol - I was going to comment, but I didn't think you'd like what I had to say so I abstained.

However....................

Ok. Innovative. Speaks volumes for the future.

Not having VR though all I had was "Man - VR graphics have got a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go"...and that's really why I didn't post

It's hard to get a real feel for other people's enthusiasm on VR without VR. No videos that I have seen can do it any favours...so all you have is still images and word of mouth.
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 12, 2017, 01:14:46 AM
lol - I was going to comment, but I didn't think you'd like what I had to say so I abstained.

Not having VR though all I had was "Man - VR graphics have got a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go"...and that's really why I didn't post

It's hard to get a real feel for other people's enthusiasm on VR without VR. No videos that I have seen can do it any favours...so all you have is still images and word of mouth.

True. But with the Rift being on summer sale for 400 dollars at the moment its getting tempting to buy one to experience DCS World, Elite and Assetto Corsa in full VR.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 12, 2017, 01:26:26 AM
its getting tempting to buy one to experience DCS World, Elite and Assetto Corsa in full VR.

through a screen-door  ;)

i wait for the HTC Vive "2" or even "3" ...and that i have the spare money then for early adopters joy
(i had the chance to spend a full blown eve under a HTC Vive at a friends place to check it out last winter
...the lighthouses technology was impressive so!)

Yskonyn

Well, the screen door effect is there in the Rift, but after trying the CV1 at a friend's house I find that the discussions about how its a problem are exaggerated. Still, I would never consider shelling out 800 or 600 for a VR headset.
400 though, is nearing my 'ok I might bite' boundary.
I also shell out 400 for a good HOTAS without problems, so... there. :D

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 12, 2017, 01:26:26 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 12, 2017, 01:14:46 AM

True. But with the Rift being on summer sale for 400 dollars at the moment its getting tempting to buy one to experience DCS World, Elite and Assetto Corsa in full VR.
The impression I get is it doesn't "work" because of the input issues. DCS must be a huge challenge to overcome because of the keys and controller. As a gamer, you need access to that and it pulls away from the immersion.

That's probably where this does excel and shows some promise in that it's fully in the VR world whereas for PC games utilising VR are mostly only utilising the visual aspect - the input aspect is very much hands on, keyboard, mouse, joystick and needing visual access to those - removing you from the VR world.

I'll give JH and all the people who buy in to VR their dues - they provide the interest to make VR more than just betamax. Take up is very important for things like this to take off and provide the rest of us with a valid, affordable and very streamlined VR experience later on in the development cycle  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I'm telling you this right now, VR is not a gimmick, a passing fad, or simply a limited tech demo or proof of concept. The technology is here to stay, and in my opinion, not only is it the future of gaming, but it's the future of recreation. I'm quite confident that VR, or some technology closely related to it, is going to rewrite the book on how people spend their free time and how they interact socially.

In its present state, there isn't a time where I put that head set on and I am not totally awed or wowed by a new experience. It is so much more than evolution in gaming, it is a revolution.

JD, yes, as a general rule, the visual fidelity of most games is limited due to shortcomings in computing power. In order to maintain a high rate of fps, graphics must be lower res, lower texture, etc. but in most instances, they still look very good. VTOL VR looks especially rough, but only because it's pre alpha that you're looking at. You simply cannot discount this technology because of how it looks in screenshots or in 2D videos. I've said it before. VR has to be seen first hand in order for it to be believed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog