Author Topic: Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles  (Read 31967 times)

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
Re: Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles
« Reply #420 on: December 27, 2020, 01:36:06 AM »
Then you'll certainly be happy with the utter violence included in our latest Christmas update, kind Sir  :peace:

This way please gentlemen >  https://steamcommunity.com/games/1281220/announcements/detail/2931245981688855530

Besides, allow us to use this opportunity to wish a very fine Holiday season to all of you Grogheads. Take good care of yourself and of your loved ones. Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:38:32 AM by The_Admiral »

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #421 on: December 31, 2020, 08:16:08 PM »
As impressive as the landings were (in a strategy game no less), I was kind of distracted by how nice the scenery looks -- the clouds and distant mountains and waves.  :smitten:

(For some reason, the horizon scenery reminded me of the "Distant Mountains" storytelling trope, where the author casually drops in details hinting at other stories going on elsewhere.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in chronological order. Lots and lots of order...

Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

Offline Toonces

• Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #422 on: December 31, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »
Release Q1 2021?   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2021, 06:42:08 AM »
No way I am afraid Toonces, but it's always nice to know that at least someone expects us - someone with an acquired taste, no less  :coolsmiley:

Jason, if you like them horizons, the last posts from Saturday are for you! Pretty happy with the sort of feeling the vegetation gives on the crests of the hill at ground level.  :cowboy:

A few twitter updates over the last weeks. I'll post the links directly, and then the pics below. Gotta click on the link if you want the description I am afraid :)

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1341415016910622722

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1345376047412334592

https://twitter.com/DrydockDreams/status/1347904063266963459

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2021, 11:14:00 AM »
Lookin' good as always  :nerd:
"I'm not even dead and I'm rolling over in my grave."

- Toonces

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #425 on: January 10, 2021, 09:48:19 PM »
Makes me want to hop a plane to Tahiti. Then hop a Zero in a Wildcat.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #426 on: February 03, 2021, 03:09:54 AM »
How will this compare to war on the sea by killerfish which came out today?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
« Reply #427 on: February 03, 2021, 07:07:00 AM »
Well, making my own game now precludes me from having a player's perspective that might sound fair & balanced, so better not walk down that path.

But let's just say that I am happy to acknowledge that the two projects are taking very different paths in terms of contents & gameplay despite the common setting, and that this game hasn't made our own irrelevant one bit.

Now as a player still I am a bit disappointed by some of the design choices, be them too radical or not enough, but it's his game and c'est la vie. Back to work now - and not to the drawing board, which in itself is quite the luxury  ;)

Cheers

Offline Toonces

• Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #428 on: February 03, 2021, 10:23:13 AM »
From what I can see (and this is based entirely on gameplay videos and not actual experience), one of the big things that is not in WotS, but I "think" is a major feature of TF:A is flight deck management.

In WotS what I'm seeing so far is that you buy your planes, and then just launch your strike.  In TF:A, I think a lot of the tension is compiling your strike package while simultaneously managing your CAPs and cycling aircraft through the flight deck.  It's that tension of when to bring planes on board vs. keeping aloft a bit longer at the risk of losing them, or deciding to shoot a partial strike or wait until you can get a complete coordinated package together, that make the carrier battles so interesting.  I don't think this is present in WotS.

I'm sure there are many other aspects.  I get the sense that TF:A is a more granular carrier experience.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Offline Toonces

• Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #429 on: February 03, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
You guys have gotta hustle up, Admiral.

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
« Reply #430 on: February 03, 2021, 10:35:19 AM »
Well that's one thing for sure, but WotS didn't claim being much into carrier ops anyway, so I can't blame the game for that. But more generally, we simply do not have the same design approach nor the same idea of the topic and what needs to be done to recreate an authentic experience. All carrier-focused we may be, still I will not release a game about naval combat in 1942 without searchlights and smoke screens and call it fine. Fine it might be for many others - just not for me.  ;)

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
« Reply #431 on: February 03, 2021, 10:38:24 AM »
You guys have gotta hustle up, Admiral.

And quite the contrary though, what we have there today is also the confirmation that nobody does what we plan to do, and that releasing with issues too early is never as good as releasing later with none. So, we'll keep taking your time I am afraid  8)

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #432 on: February 03, 2021, 06:54:28 PM »
Admiral, I am liking what I hear.
It sounds like I will be much more interested in your game.
Have you got a broad ballpark timeline for beta? Will it release with star citizen in 5 years or so?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline Toonces

• Global Moderator
  • Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #433 on: February 03, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
I was reading the Steam forums re: WotS and TF:A came up a LOT in various discussions.  I'm really looking forward to this game, man.

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2021, 10:03:11 PM »
Thanks boys  :peace:

Have you got a broad ballpark timeline for beta? Will it release with star citizen in 5 years or so?
Nah, as ballpark as one can get, ain't 5 years or I will be financially bankrupted by then  :buck2: ^-^

I was reading the Steam forums re: WotS and TF:A came up a LOT in various discussions.
Ah really is that so? Hasn't checked much.

Hope they're saying good stuff. Don't hesitate to feed some some nice screens or videos if need be :coolsmiley:  :smitten: