Author Topic: Another Super Virus from China  (Read 21349 times)

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
Re: Another Super Virus from China
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 09:13:40 PM »
Play up while you can Brother Grogs. Our Viral Overlords approach.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 10:14:07 PM »
Apparently carried by bats; such as the bats fried up (alive) and eaten in an area market of the outbreak.  L:-)

To be more specific, the virus seems to have mutated from a virus found in bats and an "unknown origin" virus. Just happens to be a level 4 biohazard lab in that area, too. Could be totally coincidental.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in chronological order. Lots and lots of order...

Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

Offline The_Admiral

• Viking
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 05:42:12 AM »
No Worries. Admiral Nimitz is here for our Chinese fans  :peace:

(made a special announcement for our Chinese audience... The text in Chinese is just a simple reminder of basic security measures to take btw)

On another note though, beyond the grim situation of course, it's highly dangerous for it's new and it can spread on unprepared population, but as you might know, it obviously pales in result so far to the normal, seasonal flu that kills people in hundreds every week in China and elsewhere. Does it warrant all the fuss about being careful & thoughtful regarding the risks? Absolutely. Is it a good reason to panic? Well, I don't think so.

What's good with a virus is that everybody can die of it, politicians included - and I would say, politicians especially, considering their age category. So, yeah, everybody's hard at work. For the rest, let's notfall victim to conspiracy theories, at least for now - it is true that Occam's razor's blade is much more of a relative concept as it supposedly stands for, but the fight is on. There will be ample time to point fingers later.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 05:44:39 AM by The_Admiral »

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
  • Honus Wagner - "The Flying Dutchman"
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
Not good...if this virus breaks out and does some broken field running, it will be dark days indeed.

The Great Influenza did its worst work in about 24 weeks at the end of 1918 (the pandemic itself lasted about two years). In that time high estimates say it killed 100 million people. Low estimates are 20-30 million, but still jaw dropping.

According to John Barry's Book "The Great Influenza," priests drove wagon's down the streets of Philadelphia, calling for people to 'bring out your dead'. That was 1918....not medieval times. There are still people alive who were alive then (sure they were just babies or kids).

Of course part of the reason the "Spanish Flu" (actually it appears the flu actually started in the US) was so bad was that there was a major war going on. Also, medicine of 100 years ago didn't have the capabilities we have now.

But the lesson of history is that coronavirus could get very bad.

Not a time for panic... But it is time to watch this virus like you'd watch a bear in your back yard.     
Honus Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »
It helps that the virus isn't as inherently fatal as the Spanish flu could be, but it can be deadly to people with immune systems already depleted for other reasons. More or less like normal flu.

Of course there's no cure, but there's no cure for most (or any) viruses yet. There are inoculations and ways to keep the virus down until the body deals with it, but not really a cure. I get the impression there aren't any good ways to keep the virus down yet, much less inoculate.

The real trouble is that they recently confirmed that this thing is transmittable almost immediately, under normal flu methods of transmission, and for up to two weeks before you start showing any symptoms at all.

At that point, the flu doesn't even have to mutate (farther? -- it seems to be a hybrid of a virus found in Chinese bats with some other virus). Though if it did, you'd be in a nightmare scenario.

But even without that, just having umpty million people out sick with the flu would be a catastrophe in itself. There's no telling how many people would die just as a side effect from that! The cascade effects could be a lot like Thanos' snap, except played out more slowly and with (of course) many fewer direct fatalities.

....have a good weekend!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in chronological order. Lots and lots of order...

Dawn of Armageddon -- a narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse: The Hunt Begins: Insert Joke Here!

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR, lots of screenies.

Offline Staggerwing

• Blunderbuster
  • "Today your love... tomorrow the World!"
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 07:52:06 PM »
Stockpile your N95 masks now, don't wait until the scalpers have jacked the prices up to a hundred dollars each....

... then, in a few weeks you can resell them for big bucks!  :))
Vituš ér enn - eša hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »
Stockpile your N95 masks now, don't wait until the scalpers have jacked the prices up to a hundred dollars each....

... then, in a few weeks you can resell them for big bucks!  :))

I am in Arizona, masks have been sold out everywhere near me for the last two weeks. Walgreens gets a shipment every once in while and they are gone very quickly.

Actually it may just be a local thing. I am near Sun City...and the retirees have plenty of time to track stuff like this down and clean out the stores.

The runs have started on hand sanitizer and vitamin C...
Honus Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Offline ArizonaTank

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 08:29:47 PM »
It helps that the virus isn't as inherently fatal as the Spanish flu could be, but it can be deadly to people with immune systems already depleted for other reasons. More or less like normal flu.

Agree. I think the Spanish Flu was around 20%...but a lot of that was that it took down immunity and then folks got pneumonia without a defense...  The pneumonia is what got them.

In those days, it was mostly the younger adults who died. The reason was, they would get sick with flu, then start to feel better. They would then go back to work (this was before "sick days") because they needed the money, not realizing that their immunity had been stripped away. Then they got something worse, like pneumonia. 

Coronavirus Seems like 2 - 3% fatal.  But a tragedy if you or your loved ones are in the 2%. 

Also not clear how many folks are just damaged from it. Weakened lungs...weakened hearts etc.

But even without that, just having umpty million people out sick with the flu would be a catastrophe in itself.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that just before the Kaiserschlact Offensives of March 1918, Germany lost about 20% of its effective fighting force to the flu (not dead, just out of action). Even then, Germany still almost got to Paris (stopped in part by 'Rock of the Marne' US 3rd ID). Imagine what they could have done with those extra troops.

Isn't the flu a card in Paths of Glory?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 08:32:48 PM by ArizonaTank »
Honus Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 09:01:52 PM »
Ah! -- that factoid is going into my giant collection of notes tomorrow for my upcoming project...  :coolsmiley:

(Which factoid? We shall see...  >:D )

Meanwhile, parts of my brain are dueling each other on the topic of which society is more vulnerable to side-effect scaling catastrophe from a nominally debilitating but massive flu outbreak. Pre-modern? Modern? Quasi-modern? (...would that be "second world" now? ;) )

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
I am in Arizona, masks have been sold out everywhere near me for the last two weeks. Walgreens gets a shipment every once in while and they are gone very quickly.

We're running short on Niosh masks at the factory. Decided to reorder; was told in effect, {spit} "No way", albeit more nicely. Hadn't even occurred to us there's a shortage with the distributor sending them out on special priority (and obviously we're far down that list, we're just not that hazardous). But then we realized, where are those particular masks made?

Offline airboy

• Landsknecht
    • averysgameblog
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 10:02:20 PM »
Interesting front page article in the 2/13/2020 Wall St. Journal on how the World Health Organization is not exactly trusted when dealing with a pandemic originating in a rich dictatorship.

But we can always trust our Communist Overlords to tell the truth!