Author Topic: Another Super Virus from China  (Read 21348 times)

Offline GroggyGrognard

• Viking
  • Magister Generalis Of The Bellum Ludus
Re: Another Super Virus from China
« Reply #735 on: August 01, 2020, 09:02:40 PM »
@SirAndrewD

My condolences for your loss of your friend and I hope your other friend has a speedy and healthy recovery.

This virus needs to be taken seriously, despite the tragic lack of national leadership and politics that have been taken over by individuals concerned only with developing cults of personality in order to further their own pursuit of power and wealth.

Groggy
“Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government.”
― Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

Offline Yskonyn

• Landsknecht
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
« Reply #736 on: August 04, 2020, 12:42:37 AM »
The discussion has been about death rates and loss of life these last posts. Terrible, terrible effect of this nasty virus.
‘Loss of life’ can also be interpreted differently; because of the extensive economic damage the virus has brought upon us thousands upons thousands of people have lost or are about to loose their job. In many cases this is also a form of ‘loss of life’.

I don’t feel having arguments about validity of exact numbers is really effective here. It’s pretty clear the damage is extensive and large scale, if not in a biological sense (for those who want to dispute it) then certainly on a social economical scale.

Personally, I will be in doubt until at least October wether the chopping block will cut off my head and if I will be able to provide for my family.
The predictions of recovery of air travel keep being pushed back. Where it was 2022 at first it is now 2024 for levels of 2019 traffic and cabin fill rates.
If the virus won’t be controlled for a good 6 months still from now, that prediction might very well become pushed back even further.

The question then arises for how long commercial airlines can hold out? How much longer is there any sense in keeping emergency funds coming in to keep hosing water to keep the shii from sinking?
Will the big carriers be nationalized at some point then? What happens to the daughters?

The grim picture of uncertainty might very well continue after October and God knows for how long afterwards.

The fact of the matter is that IF I would loose my job as a pilot, the current world is such that I most likely won’t be getting a new job as one anytime soon.
And if I can get flying again it probably will be far away from home.
Pretty life changing whichever outcome that might be.

Let’s be considerate to each other. Be a little more gentle with each other and refrain from nitpicking over statistics instead of looking at the grand scheme of the situation. The medical aspect is not the only thing here.

Thanks Grogs, I love you all. 😀
"(...) running a group thing online can be a little like herding cats :P" - mirth

Offline fran

• Equites
« Reply #737 on: August 04, 2020, 03:33:23 AM »
Thanks, Yskonyn

Very well put and fully agree with below.  O0

'Let’s be considerate to each other. Be a little more gentle with each other and refrain from nitpicking over statistics instead of looking at the grand scheme of the situation. The medical aspect is not the only thing here.'

You mention the aviation sector, but the same effecting hospitality and tourism in developing countries.

In the UK the government assistance program is due to end at the end of October.

Inevitably this will mean another round of job losses, and people's mental health is affected, that will lead to a lot of social issues for years to come.

Oh and we have Brexit looming at the end of the year  <:-) :bd:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 03:36:10 AM by fran »