Author Topic: Microprose  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Jarhead0331

• Judge Advocate General
  • Administrator
  • Arquebusier
  • Global Moderator, General Counsel, Heavy Weapons
Microprose
« on: January 27, 2020, 11:47:42 AM »
I know there is a thread somewhere around here about the rebirth of Microprose, but I can't seem to locate it.

In any event, a recent twitter post seems to have clues about two projects in the works, and boy is it exciting news...well, I'll let you see for yourself.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Offline hellfish6

• Hoplite
Re: Microprose
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:55:22 AM »
I would love a tank game that fits somewhere between Arma3's 'splodey tanks and Steel Beast's sim. Both are great in their own right, but god do I want a dynamic campaign and crew management.

Offline Gusington

• The Jewish Missile
  • Global Moderator
  • Tercio
  • You must be at most 'this tall' to ride the Gus.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 11:59:32 AM »
Glorious rebirth of M1 Tank Platoon?
"...feels like a 39.99 game to me.”

- Grim Reaper, Grogheads Seer

Offline SirAndrewD

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 12:34:28 PM »
Seems almost too good to be true.

Offline DoctorQuest

• Condottieri
  • I'm not a real doctor.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:51 PM »
We can only hope. I tend to agree with hellfish that there is a place in this world for an updated M-1 Tank Platoon.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Offline solops

• Viking
  • Woof!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 01:26:20 PM »
We can only hope. I tend to agree with hellfish that there is a place in this world for an updated M-1 Tank Platoon.
Oh yeah! One of my favorites!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Offline gregb41352

• Hoplite
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
Microprose used to put out some great stuff.

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
  • Aboard the Praetor's Pride
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »
I also used to love everything MicroProse put out back in the day.  The golden age of computer gaming.

Now I hate to be that one guy, the kibitzer if you will, that says be careful what you wish for.  If MicroProse does indeed rise from the ashes like some golden phoenix I hope that the mindset of the developers, or whoever will be in charge, is one from the early '90s who remembers the core components of the classics that attracted so many of us like moths to the flame.     

Modern day business people are all about milking nostalgia for every dime it's worth while delivering a product that absolutely disappoints in every way imaginable.   
Forgive me my old friend.  But I must use all my experience...to get home.

Offline hellfish6

• Hoplite
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »
I'm a little concerned by their existing project. It looks like it would have been modern in 1996. But they're also somehow associated with Titan IM which could be promising...

I'm gonna temper my enthusiasm for now.

Offline SirAndrewD

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
^ In the old thread JH mentioned, this is why there was skepticism. 

What's wanted is exactly what was mentioned above, mid-range sims with robust single player and dynamic campaigns with management options.  There's a serious gap in the market for games like that, Microprose used to fill it along with some of the other classics like Dynamix and Spectrum Holobyte.

If Microprose returns I want it to be that, not just a new iteration of Warbirds. 

Offline mikeck

• Condottieri
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 06:15:54 PM »
Man, my favorite games for my Commodore 64 were microprose sims. First one was F-15 Strike Eagle (5 years before there was a strike Eagle too), played Gunship! And F-19 stealth fighter to death. Great campaigns
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Skoop

• Viking
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
Man I played gunship to death too, I almost joined the army just to fly apaches cause I loved that game so much.

Offline Destraex

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 10:07:06 PM »
As long as, unlike the game “tank crew”, infantry are faithfully portrayed in any tank game they bring out.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Offline dinsdale

• Velites
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 10:45:57 PM »
I also used to love everything MicroProse put out back in the day.  The golden age of computer gaming.

Now I hate to be that one guy, the kibitzer if you will, that says be careful what you wish for.  If MicroProse does indeed rise from the ashes like some golden phoenix I hope that the mindset of the developers, or whoever will be in charge, is one from the early '90s who remembers the core components of the classics that attracted so many of us like moths to the flame.     

Modern day business people are all about milking nostalgia for every dime it's worth while delivering a product that absolutely disappoints in every way imaginable.

I'll join you as the other guy.

Surely this new venture is as close to being Microprose as having Ringo team up with an X Factor winner and calling themselves The Beatles.

I mean its great to see someone building sims but it's not Microprose, that era's gone forever. There are still great games around, but the 80s/90s are over, and no amount of nostalgia, 'spiritual successors' or rebrands can bring them back.... or make me 20 again :)

Offline Toonces

• Arquebusier
  • Yvan eht nioj!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 11:48:16 PM »
Man alive did I love Microprose back in the day.

Is that a B-17 I see?  I have been thinking more and more recently that a solid B-17 sim is a gold mine just waiting to be prospected.  Maybe I'll do it in retirement if nobody else does.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

"Maybe the slightly sullen look is blaming you for making her feel dirty, wanting to be hot. Yes, it's your fault." - Biggs (again)

"That's what you get when you are getting older and less sober as I am." - SirAndrewD

"Toonces Drunk - (adj) Tooh-nsays Dru-nk Descr:  Smash into a room, insult all your friends, fall asleep for 2 days, naked, face down wearing nothing but ALL your watches on one arm."  - UCG