Hardspace: Shipbreaker - Announced - Was Homeworld Shipbreaker 2020 early access

Started by Destraex, February 19, 2020, 04:30:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

It all makes sense now. Focus Interactive are blackbird interactives new publisher and gearbox still control the homeworld ip which Homewolrd3 will be under for that homeworld3 kickstarter. So shipbreakers even though it bears resemblance to homeworld ip and was originally called homeworld shipbreakers I belive, will not be in the homeworld universe. What a shame.

I tell you what I think happened. Blackbird have an idea called homeworld shipbreakers, gearbox buy the homeworld ip, blackbird get commissioned to do a change of direction to a homeworld rts in order to make what gearbox think will be nore money and publish. It does ok but not great and gearbox will not back hw3. Blackbird get a kickstarter going for homeworld3 under gearbox but get a new publisher in general for all other games thry might do outside of homeworlds universe. Blackbird ressurect the shipbreakers idea outside of the homeworld universe as they so not own the ip. Blackbird now doing hard shipbreakers instead of the original idea which they may even still have old code for. Even the name is the same. It still looks like the same art style as well. Except the universe seems to be a lot more goofy and light hearted judging by the voices. Whoch does not really appeal to me at all. Neither does the cloning tech to give you lives. So probably just as well.

http://hardspace-shipbreaker.com/?fbclid=IwAR0x7mmijfa875ldFG1OKwgz-EIwmeB7YjcNUGIOLkwctiaV1KzIrdM9AEo

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Well. Its coming on consoles as well.
Makes sense and unfollowing this one. Was not that interested but now much less interested. I hope homeworld3 is not stunted in this way.

Jarhead0331

This was released into early access...totally sneaked past me. Downloading now.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I've played for about an hour and it is presented very well. It is an interesting game, but honestly...without any combat or any real exploration element, I'm not sure it will hold my attention in the long run. I mean, it seems like a no brainer that you would be able to travel around the galaxy searching for derelict vessels and then to salvage them, you would have to board them and face threats from aliens, to pirates, to military forces, etc. Perhaps this will eventually be added, but I don't think so...

The Homeworld aesthetic and design is definitely there, so it certainly gets points for that.

In any event, still early access and a little shallow. Had a CTD, as well. Will be interesting to see how it develops.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on June 17, 2020, 07:57:26 PM
How do you acquire the ships you take apart?

I'm still working my way though the tutorial, but essentially you purchase them with credits from a menu interface. I'm sure this will change as the game is developed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 17, 2020, 05:27:41 PM
I've played for about an hour and it is presented very well. It is an interesting game, but honestly...without any combat or any real exploration element, I'm not sure it will hold my attention in the long run. I mean, it seems like a no brainer that you would be able to travel around the galaxy searching for derelict vessels and then to salvage them, you would have to board them and face threats from aliens, to pirates, to military forces, etc. Perhaps this will eventually be added, but I don't think so...

The Homeworld aesthetic and design is definitely there, so it certainly gets points for that.

In any event, still early access and a little shallow. Had a CTD, as well. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

I am interested in the idea of the game...but like you am wondering if it is too much of a one trick pony. How does the game hold your interest in cutting up wreaks after you've done twenty or thirty of them?
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Not having VR support is a lost opportunity. Breaking the vessels apart in VR in zero-g would have been very cool.

There are some interesting concepts with depressurization hazards, atmospheric levels on ships and reactor cores going critical.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bobarossa

GreenMan Gaming says it's off 32% right now.  $17.59

Looks like Space Engineers for people that only like doing demo.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2020, 05:21:35 PM

I wouldn't compare it to space engineer at all.

It's fun in relatively small doses, but still very early. No save in free play mode and a few technical issues. It has potential to be an interesting diversion, but probably not much more.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 18, 2020, 05:50:17 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2020, 05:21:35 PM

I wouldn't compare it to space engineer at all.

It's fun in relatively small doses, but still very early. No save in free play mode and a few technical issues. It has potential to be an interesting diversion, but probably not much more.

That last paragraph of yours Jar, is exactly what I thought it would be like. I have not bitten and probably will not. Homeworld3 though, I am down for and kickstarted.