Main Menu

FRIDAY and Joy

Started by Tripoli, March 27, 2020, 10:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

This weekend: BoC/TF Admiral work. Civil War II AAR.  Possibly a little Kerbal, using the Kerbalism mod.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

WYBaugh

Awesome song!!  Man I miss SRV

Dammit Carl!

Arma, IL2, & DCS and maybe, just maybe, I'll get time to play them. 

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: WYBaugh on March 27, 2020, 11:17:45 AM
Man I miss SRV

Amen.  Legit cried when I heard of his passing.  Spent many an hour in the back of Dad's truck with SRV in the Walkman as we went here and there.

GroggyGrognard

Great song selection! Another brilliant musician who left us too soon.

Taking a break from The Divison 2 this weekend. I'll shift my game focus over to Warplan and maybe some Order of Battle. I'd like to try one of Erik's mods. Also, maybe Doom on the PS4.

Stay safe and happy gaming, Grogs!

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

Martok

Yeah, SRV is awesome.  A pity he was a little before my time, but I'm glad I've at least gotten to know his music. 

Have returned to playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes the last few days.  Probably a bit of Stellaris and Rome II as well. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Phantom

DC Barbarossa - isolation means I get chance to play a Loooooong game for a change!

Gusington

Most likely will start a heavily modded Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai campaign. Either that or Wolfenstein: Youngblood.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

WarPlan has been my most recent timesink once again.  I'll probably mix it up with some Panzer Corps 2 campaigning, and maybe get back on my Darkest Dungeon campaign (finally reached the last tier of bosses!)

Also, I just picked up Guns of August and Crown of Glory so I'll give those a spin at some point.  Oh and Piercing Fortress Europa...... damn this quarantine is hitting my wallet!  :-X

Mentions of DC: Barbarossa make me want to fire that game up again.  One of my all-time favorite wargames that I almost never play because it's so damn hard.   :-[
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

Quote from: al_infierno on March 27, 2020, 02:53:03 PM
maybe get back on my Darkest Dungeon campaign (finally reached the last tier of bosses!)

Damn, that's impressive. Must of been a lot of pain along the way. I play for awhile, put it down, pick it up and want to work on a new party config, so i start over.

After finishing Doom 2016, i installed FEAR 2, more than halfway through already. A much different experience than doom. Don't think ill bother with FEAR3, doesn't sound to good. FEAR 1 still one of the best cover based FPS games, with an AI that will flank you and nothing like some slow bullet time destruction. I picked up France 14 a couple of weeks ago, so might start playing that.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

^ Admittedly, I always checked a wiki before I start a new boss fight, so I never lose characters just to learn what the game is gonna throw at me ;)

The first 2 tiers of bosses are actually pretty beatable once you're used to how RNGesus tends to buck you around.  Having good trinkets with the right party comp is crucial.  Once you get to the level 5+ dungeons, though, the game stops screwing around and really starts to whoop you around.  On my first attempt at a pretty basic Level 5 dungeon run, I lost 2 Level 5 characters in the first fight -- had to take a break from the game for a while after that  :2funny:

Also, agreed with your comments about FEAR 1 versus the sequels.  I still reinstall the original game and its expansion every now and then - one of the all-time best FPS  O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

I loved the original FEAR but never played any of the others. How is 2?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

FEAR 2, so far, so good.............no, it's not as good as one. Combat is the same, so that's a good thing. More than halfway through, and Alma hasn't made a big appearance....yet. Story continuation is kinda meh, not really paying attention to the story at this point, i guess Alma's got a hardon for me and wants to absorb me.........don't think i'm into that concept ;D

After FEAR 2, thinking about loading up Dead Space 2 and finishing that, about halfway through that game when i put it down. I like it better than 1, which I rage quit after the umpteen time being locked in a room, low on ammo. I'm just not a fan of the space parkour either, jumping puzzle crap, love the atmosphere though.

Darkest Dungeon will test your cyber manhood and your anger control ;D, really curious what happens at the end.

YEA.....this is the only way forward...really.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Can I get FEAR 2 standalone somewhere? On Steam I only see it bundled.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Martok on March 27, 2020, 01:03:47 PM
Yeah, SRV is awesome.  A pity he was a little before my time, but I'm glad I've at least gotten to know his music. 

Have returned to playing Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes the last few days.  Probably a bit of Stellaris and Rome II as well.

Maybe some Attila 1212 and definitely some World of Warships and maybe some naval boardgames ("Admiralty Trilogy" -- which now has 5 parts 1)"Dawn of the Battleship" (or wars of the 1890s);2) Russo-Japs (which is dawn of the rising sun or something);3) Fear God and Dread naught ( 1907-1925?); 4)command at sea (1926 to 1955); 5)Harpoon! ( 1956 to ?)  Things are still getting revised, but I think Command Modern Byzantine Warfare! (CMOBW) has superceeded Harpoon!.