Gamersgate "download" files are viruses??

Started by DoctorQuest, April 02, 2020, 02:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

I tried to search on this topic so bear with me.

Never bought from Gamersgate before. When I try to download and execute one of their "download" EXE files Avast has a serious hissy fit.

Any ideas from folks who have used GG before??
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

DoctorQuest

Avast decided it was OK. There is a GG FAQ about the issue telling you to disable AV and BitDefender. Not my favorite option for such things.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

steve58

I have purchased from GG before, many times.  Not so much in the last few years, but as recently as this past February.  Never had a problem with their downloads, but then I also don't use Avast.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

DoctorQuest

FarAway Sooner

I have no opinion on GG, and haven't used it for years.  My sense is that Windows Defender is YEARS ahead of where it used to be.  I've tried living without any other AV packages for more than a year and have yet to regret it.

Depending on the sites you like to visit, your mileage may vary...  :)

JasonPratt

I've used Avast since it was free for home use (aside from the 9 month repeating re-registration), and I played a lot more things directly from GG back then (aside from Steam keys). I can confirm never a problem as long as Avast is temporarily disabled for installation, which a lot of things suggest anyway.

That said, keep in mind that GG sells a bunch of programs from disreputable parts of the world.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

I think Avast looks for rootkit malware and, IIRC, a couple of the older titles in GG's catalogue come with Starforce DRM still part of the install. Starforce is some real evilbad rootkit-type mojo. :buck2:
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys