New patches for WINSPWW2 & WINSPMBT

Started by Oche, April 03, 2020, 11:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oche

Pete Dero

al_infierno

Oh boy!  The semiannual reminder that Shrapnel is still in business came early!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

WallysWorld

I finally got around to installing both on my computer earlier this week so this is good news. Thanks for posting.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Zulu1966

Yeah . they still have a forum for All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy FFS ...  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

rwenstrup

Sharpnel has my eternal thanks for keeping Steel Panthers current! Thanks guys!!!

Yskonyn

So, I've tried to play this several times now (WW2), but the grainyness and lack of contrast for all the units (especially on rural maps) just causes me to overlook many a unit.

How do you guys cope with this?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

I don't................ anymore :) but yet i installed the update :uglystupid2:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 04, 2020, 12:06:43 PM
So, I've tried to play this several times now (WW2), but the grainyness and lack of contrast for all the units (especially on rural maps) just causes me to overlook many a unit.

This is a video playing the CD enchanced version of the game.   Maybe you like that version a little better ?

gabeeg

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 04, 2020, 12:06:43 PM

Yeah, 800x600 is painful to play.  You need to purchase the CD or enhanced version, that opens up all the resolutions.  There is still a problem with the game being stuck with a 256 color palette, but at least you can get high resolutions which makes the game highly playable IMHO.   I still think it is the best tactical PC war game available, especially playing PBEM...and worth looking past the "ugly".

Shrapnel has done us a great service keeping this game limping along and even improving into the 21st century.  I am real curious to see how 2x3 games spiritual successor comes out...going to take quite a bit to come up with a game with this much detail and info. If anybody can do it Grigsby and 2x3 can ...especially since Gary Grigsby was the designer of the original Steel Panthers.
Kind Regards,
Harry

demjansk1942

Did Matrix have Spwaw on sale over the winter for the General edition?

Yskonyn

I do own the enhanced CD edition, though.

The nationality flag overlay helps, but it detracts from the game I find.
Do you guys actively toggle it?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!