News on next Command Ops 2 module...

Started by JasonPratt, May 25, 2020, 09:56:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

...which apparently won't be Patton's Charge, though that has been renamed at some point since I last checked, to be "Bradley at Bay". (Or "Bradleys at Bay", it shows up both ways in their marketing on Steam.) Still no idea when that will be released.

As you may recall, after Patton Charges, the dev team was planning to finally start East Front topical modules, and they've picked a great set of battles to start with: literally what Stalin and the Politburo regarded as the start of the Second World War! (...or anyway they regarded WW2 to have started the day before this operation kicked off.)

From the dev's Steam news article (whom I would name but his name doesn't appear to be included, so which Panther Games rep this is I don't know):

QuoteIt has been a while since we have posted a devblog about the East Front DLC. So now its probably a time to give you some status update, as well as to entertain you a bit in a historical sense.

This particular devblog will be about the development status, and the next one will be about the history.

DLC Development Status

So far we have playtested four scenarios (out of total nine). These are:

Azuma's Last Ride (May 28-29th, 1939)
Charge of the Light Brigade (July 2-3rd, 1939)
Smoking Pyres of Yawata Steelworks (July 3-4th, 1939)
Slaughterhouse at Bain-Tsagan (July 2-4th, 1939)

The remaining five scenarios are dedicated to mid-June Japanese attacks and, of course, the Soviet major August offensive.

These scenarios vary in size from brigade-sized to corps-sized. Despite being relatively short (2-3 days only), they offer a decent mix of infantry and combined arms warfare, so I have decided to play through these four extensively before venturing forth into the rest of the DLC.

We have concluded about 50-60 fully automated (AI vs AI) sessions so far, as well as about 20-30 manual (human vs AI) sessions. These playtests offered us some good overview of where we are with the DLC and what our major problems are. Unfortunately, aside of some minor things that were found and fixed, the following new major features were deemed as necessary for new DLC to be released:

bridge weight limits;
more predictable, more aggressive and focused enemy AI.

Several more features were considered as optional (nice to have) as well, but they are not that much important as these two.

Therefore we had to spend some time implementing these features first, before resuming playtests or creating new scenarios. As we have now some good progress with these features (one is complete and another mostly done) I hope we could resume the playtest soon.

The Future of East Front

Speaking of resuming the playtests, I need to start preparing for the next EF DLC. Normally it takes me between few months and a year to get all the literature, archival documents (if these are available), historical maps etc. Remote working in archives is neither cheap nor quick, so I need some time to prepare.

As we are hopefully amidst of the second half of the Khalkhyn-Gol DLC development now, I'd like to start collecting the data for the next EF one.

I have several candidate battles identified so far, for which I have already collected some preliminary literature, archival documents and maps. I can't tell you who these candidates are, because this would ruin the surprise and also reveal you many potential EF DLCs.

But if you'd like to promote your favourite campaign or even battle, you may let me know in comments. If you happen to name one of my candidates, this would definitely increase their chances to become the next one.

Please also note that I consider Fall Weiß and Winter War to be a part of "East Front" brand, too. Furthermore, some of my "candidate battles" have happened exactly in September 1939 and in Winter 39/40. So please don't limit your suggestions purely to the Soviet-German war.

That's all about the development status, now to the entertainment part.

First Nomonhan Incident

In just four days, it will be another anniversary of First Nomonhan Incident.
May 28th, 1939, starting what seemed to be just another border clash, neither Soviets nor Japanese could imagine it will develop into a full-scale border war in few weeks, where thousands of people will perish, hundreds of tanks and planes will be engaged and destroyed.

Eventually, even the course of Second World War may have been largely influenced by the outcome of that border war. Had Red Army not defeated IJA in Mongolia, the latter would more likely decide to invade Soviet Union in 1941, rather than bomb Pearl-Harbour.

Next devblog which I plan to release on May 27, 2020, will discuss the very first major border encounter between Japanese and Soviet-Mongolian troops happened May 28-29th, 1939. That encounter would eventually lead to the full-scale border war later known as Khalkhyn-Gol (Nomonhan) Border Conflict, while the encounter itself is better known as First Nomonhan Incident nowadays.

We will be using one of our DLC scenarios - "Azuma's Last Ride" - to illustrate this event. In the end, I'd like to give you an impression about this godforsaken theater in general, as well as about the terrain and opposing forces, how they are modeled in the DLC, what level of details and research we put into it etc. I hope this eventually will help you to make the right decision about buying this DLC (or not).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Interesting indeed.  I like this game but gave up expecting anything new from them. 

JasonPratt

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/521800/view/2219657655184

Another article on the introductory fight of the new module, the first Nomohan Incident (in 1938, though border skirmishes had been going for some time before then.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

MengJiao

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 27, 2020, 04:50:52 PM
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/521800/view/2219657655184

Another article on the introductory fight of the new module, the first Nomohan Incident (in 1938, though border skirmishes had been going for some time before then.)

Right.  I'm back in the tutorial.  I played this game long ago and maybe my interests have changed.  I'm inclined to get a new headset and play more HLL

-budd-

Rise thread, rissssseeeeeeee...... After about i think around 3 years of work the long awaited patch is due soon. There's a beta patch on Steam to try out, only on Steam. If all goes well after a couple of weeks Bradley At Bay should be released. Dave will be releasing the patch notes in a day or two.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Quote from: -budd- on November 07, 2020, 02:25:52 PM
Rise thread, rissssseeeeeeee...... After about i think around 3 years of work the long awaited patch is due soon. There's a beta patch on Steam to try out, only on Steam. If all goes well after a couple of weeks Bradley At Bay should be released. Dave will be releasing the patch notes in a day or two.

WOW....I had kind of given up on anything new.  Great game.  Look forward to getting back into it.

JasonPratt

I hope it fixes some AI problems. Two or three years ago, I started what I thought would be an interesting ongoing epic historical campaign of Britain (and their immediate allies like Greece) defending Greece and North Africa and then following them on through all their available ComOps 2 operations...

...and then as I was playing my first mission, I decided there was something seriously broken about the game engine somewhere, in more than one place. I'd have to go back and check on why; I kept videos and I was making notes.

That first mission, btw, is the alternate prequel-side-mission to the Axis invasion of Greece, where historically Greece parries Italy's attempts to invade by themselves (from Montenegro and Albania, if I recall correctly.) So I'm playing as the Greeks on defense, off to the side of Italy's main invasion at first, trying to keep Italy from winning the main battle (which would follow after this and runs mostly parallel) by stopping an early end-around by the Italians hoping to flank the main battle area and blitz (sort of) into the Greek backfield.

Hm, had to reinstall -- the game didn't want to go on my data drive (D) either, had to put it on my system drive (C). If you want to play the mission, it's in "Foothills of the Gods" (as you might expect), named "Charge of the Centaurs". It kicks off 15 minutes earlier than then next chronological historical scenario, "Prodos Historical Campaign", which tracks the main invasion and defensive line; both otherwise run for the same 8 days and 17 hours.

Grim.Reaper

Although I appreciate it seems like it is close, seems to have been the case many times in the past.....its a shame, was interested in this game years ago but just seems like too slow progress for me.  Hope it actually does come out....

JasonPratt

I remember back when Patton's Charge was going to be released soon...  :-\

Edited to add: Oh, "Bradley at Bay" is "Patton's Charge"! I wonder why they changed the name? Copyright maybe?

What's worse is that I MYSELF IN STARTING THIS THREAD LONG AGO noted the change of name.  :crazy2:

Yskonyn

I don't remember why I stopped, but I do recall having lots of fun with the written tutorial.
I really need to restart this some day.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 08, 2020, 04:39:02 AM
I don't remember why I stopped, but I do recall having lots of fun with the written tutorial.
I really need to restart this some day.
Me too. It is a really interesting game system.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat