Main Menu

Game Project

Started by WW2 tactics, May 25, 2020, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW2 tactics

Hello Grogheads,

This is my first post on the subject, I have been looking for that perfect game, I have been for years and I have not been able to find it. I have been close and enjoyed a few along the way, I know that there can be improvements. The concept for the game is to create the most realistic WW2 title attainable. A game by name but really a simulation.

I am building a community of skilled and talented people who are on the same path that can provide a unique  skill set. The reward: The most realistic WW2 experience through gaming we can achieve.

Feel free to comment ask questions and provide your feedback positive or negative but what I am looking for is to gauge an interest in such a project/game and to sense the talent pool available in such a dedicated community.

SirAndrewD

I think we need a bit more detail to have an informed discussion. 

Simulation is a broad topic.  Is it air, ground, sea, all three?   Are you talking first person, third, top down?  A realistic shooter ala Arma?  A squad based tactical game? 

I love realistic simulations so I'm intrigued as you can see that's a broad topic.   You could make a game about logistics and running a fuel dump and call it the most realistic simulation on WW2 ever made as long as you fill it with reams and reams of paperwork.   ;)
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Do you have a programming background or something similar that you plan to contribute to the project?  I think giving a bit of background on yourself would help the people you're looking for to make an informed decision.

I don't mean to come across as snarky, but with any software development project the answer will NEVER be:

QuoteIf the community rallies together we can do it in no time at all

...no matter how many cooks you add to the kitchen.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

WW2 tactics

Those are all good questions. First let me answer the hard ones, no I do not have any programming background so I cannot contribute in that regard initially and it's best to be honest about that upfront. I do have project management experience and I am essentially making the project go forward which is what alot of want but can't or won't do. I have experience with military matters and I will leave at that in a public forum. The reality of it is that I cannot do this alone so the vision is to get a snowball going and by getting a small group going getting proof of concept we can request funds etc and attract more talent. Once the proof of concept is there and I have a small team the next step would be to fund legal counsel as this would essentially be a community project that has its own challenges. So to provide all the details at this stage is impossible.

To answer the fun stuff which is why we all are here and commented I assume is the interest in the genre.

To simplify the idea is bringing title such as Graviteam Tactics, Close Combat TBF, Combat Mission BN into the "modern" world and to build on those titles to add to what works and change what doesn't.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WW2 tactics on May 25, 2020, 05:24:39 PM
I have experience with military matters and I will leave at that in a public forum.

That sounds like some Tier 1, super elite commando stuff. Sign me up.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

WW2 tactics

Hey I said negative comments welcome freedom of speech is free just don't make it cheap please :2funny:

Let me know what you would like to see in games if the genre if you'd like to contribute to the conversation.

One thing the genre is missing is persistent units and following their movements. As in having a base camp that Able Company returns to after the mission and refits while baker company continues the assault or similar unit persistence. Focusing solely on one campaign in detail as opposed to multiple so you can work out logistics etc a persistent map. Recovery vehicles, counter assaults and time limits on setting up defensive positions and fatigue etc. some of these are implemented but not together or not in enough detail.
Pet peeves are zig zag roads or non destructinle buildings with walk through walls.

WW2 tactics

Here is a link to the newly created group if you are interested and would like to discuss further.

https://discord.gg/jpTzSu

More info
Game engine: Unreal Engine
C++

Post any more questions, comments or gripes, in the discord server.

Your support is highly requested as well.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: WW2 tactics on May 25, 2020, 05:48:59 PM
Hey I said negative comments welcome freedom of speech is free just don't make it cheap please :2funny:

Let me know what you would like to see in games if the genre if you'd like to contribute to the conversation.

One thing the genre is missing is persistent units and following their movements. As in having a base camp that Able Company returns to after the mission and refits while baker company continues the assault or similar unit persistence. Focusing solely on one campaign in detail as opposed to multiple so you can work out logistics etc a persistent map. Recovery vehicles, counter assaults and time limits on setting up defensive positions and fatigue etc. some of these are implemented but not together or not in enough detail.
Pet peeves are zig zag roads or non destructinle buildings with walk through walls.

You have to have a bit of a thick skin here sometimes.  If you've been lurking it's par for the course.  Trust me, if you actually show us something that moistens the loins we'll be all in.  Ask the Admiral and his game Task Force Admiral.   We're also friendly to people that are upfront. 

And that does bring me to my concern.  If you have no programming experience doing something like this is a hard road to follow.  Very hard.   I'm in publishing, and our project manager that does our operations side has very little hands on work on day to day materials, but she did a lot of time in the trenches before she became a project manager, actually writing, editing, putting books together. 

To be a project manager means you need to understand what the people under you are facing as challenges.  You're way better at that if you've done the job yourself.  I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying that in a business as difficult as software, it absolutely helps if you have experience before you do it. 

Your basic idea sounds nice.  My dream WW2 game would be an armor sim where you partly control the armor, and partly control a semi-dynamic campaign where there's crew and deployment management.  Essentially an upgrade of sims like M1 Tank Platoon and Panzer Elite.  But, that's a hard thing to make.  I myself know that I could never make it even though I also have a lot of experience as a corporate executive.   Such a thing is out of my wheel house. 

But, I wish you luck.  I think you might underestimate the difficulty of what you propose.  But hey, who knows.  I'm always rooting for someone that has a good idea and wants to make it real.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

WW2 tactics

Thanks for the feedback SirAndrew, this is still a project in it's infancy and the purpose of the post is to get feelers For interest in such a project. As a whole the project is not digestible yet, I will work on some bite size pieces and update here.

If you have any more advice comments on a project of this size keep the convo going.

IICptMillerII

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but frankly WWII has been done to death 1000 times over. We have grand strategy WWII games, we have operational level WWII games, we have tactical level WWII games, we have tank and airplane sims, and many of these games/sims have some form of persistence across campaigns. I mean, between Paradox titles such as Darkest Hour, John Tiller titles such as the Panzer Campaign series, and Combat Mission and Graviteam titles such as Battle for Normandy and Mius Front, you already have sim/sim-lite games that cover all three levels of warfare in WWII, and all the games mentioned have persistence in some form.

Same goes for aircraft and tank sims. There are a plethora of WWII flight sims, and while there aren't quite as many modern WWII tank sims, they are still out there and well regarded. There are plenty of naval sims out there too, Silent Hunter series being one prominent one.

Its a nice idea, combining the best of all these games into one mega-sim, like a WWII Virtual Battle Simulator (VBS), but to do that would likely be a mammoth undertaking that would not be self sustainable under its own power.

Besides, there are so many other eras of warfare just in the 20th century that have been either under represented or flat out ignored. What about the Arab-Israeli wars? 40 years of conflict, spanning nearly the entire Cold War, and all the technology improvements and hardware that came with it? Or the Cold War itself? Heck, there is an entire genre of fiction books that sold quite well that was born of speculation about the Cold War and its potential for conflict and warfare. There are endless possibilities to simulate conflict during the 1980's alone, between NATO and Warsaw Pact, or between various peripheral wars/battles like the Angolan Bush War, or Lebanon, or Libya, the list goes on. Hell, a simple Tu-22 Backfire sim would be a welcome change of pace and extremely interesting.

I don't mean to detract from anyone's passion or ideas. I just wish the wargaming community as a whole wasn't so fixated on WWII that they miss all the other time periods of conflict with tons of potential.

WW2 tactics

You are right that WW2 has been overdone but it's mainly been a handful of battles. Think operation overlord (mickey mouse). Battle of the bulge, barbarosa etc

I want to build a self sustainable world that will begin with operation Compass this is prior Tunisia. brits and indian forces against italians. Then canadians joined and finally the Germans with the arrival of The desert fox Rommel.

The desert scenario lends itself to a supply system and base capture.

Things that I am working on developing.

Map to tactical map seamless switch such as grand tactician the civil war.

A cover system for city fighting that scales with veterancy.

Role play campaign with a non descript commander of a company that supports battalion manuevers then promotes through the campaign to lead battalion level attacks. Choose from what type of company you want to lead such as a tank company or such. This way the historical aspect of the campaign remains but you are still able to "win" regardless of the side you choose.

Orders given to subordinates via a radio system as opposed to a point and click UI.

I know it's very ambitious but the mod communities in ARMA and such games add to these features so why not invite them early on in production.

I am also interested in Vietnam but Tunisia area was chosen due to the future mechanics.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm the opposite.  If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

IICptMillerII

QuoteYou are right that WW2 has been overdone but it's mainly been a handful of battles. Think operation overlord (mickey mouse). Battle of the bulge, barbarosa etc

This is absolutely true, and is probably part of my overall burnout on WWII.

Again I'm not trying to distract from what you're doing or your passions at all, just voicing my opinion on the matter.

In a more constructive light, have you seen the new capabilities of VBS4? I know its basically an industry sim, but its entire world generating technology and all of the complex systems it simulates such as logistics, amphibious and air operations (many of them non combat) it might make for a good foundation. I have no idea how you would go about actually getting access to VBS4, but it might take care of a massive amount of programming and development. All you would have to do would be to develop the WWII assets and integrate them into the system. Everything else would basically be taken care of. I think you can even import map data from 1940s era maps to help build your terrain. Might be worth looking into.

WW2 tactics

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on May 27, 2020, 02:16:12 PM
I'm the opposite.  If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I think for me it's the balance of power that was present in ww2, similar to a chess game or a football(soccer) match that could go either way based on overstretching your lines underestimating your opponent and sometimes just pure luck. The outcome depended more on tactics although sometimes on equipment but not like in most modern conflicts.

WW2 tactics

Quote from: IICptMillerII on May 27, 2020, 02:34:41 PM
QuoteYou are right that WW2 has been overdone but it's mainly been a handful of battles. Think operation overlord (mickey mouse). Battle of the bulge, barbarosa etc

This is absolutely true, and is probably part of my overall burnout on WWII.

Again I'm not trying to distract from what you're doing or your passions at all, just voicing my opinion on the matter.

In a more constructive light, have you seen the new capabilities of VBS4? I know its basically an industry sim, but its entire world generating technology and all of the complex systems it simulates such as logistics, amphibious and air operations (many of them non combat) it might make for a good foundation. I have no idea how you would go about actually getting access to VBS4, but it might take care of a massive amount of programming and development. All you would have to do would be to develop the WWII assets and integrate them into the system. Everything else would basically be taken care of. I think you can even import map data from 1940s era maps to help build your terrain. Might be worth looking into.

VBS3 and I am assuming 4 are great systems I have been looking at Altis(not vbs but bohemia as im sure you know) for inspiration for map creation. Although it would be awesome to have a ready made sandbox, I would still need to change alot as I never liked the feel of the vehicles, they lack weight and a bunch of other minor things that I would like to solve as I go but to be fair like you said I wouldn't even know how to get my hands on it anyway without a heavy premium. I am really doing this as a passion for the genre and enjoying
it so far.

For now just focusing on animations. Then I will work on terrain thinking of going with world creator and quixel but I am not sure how they would optimize for an RTS type game. Will find out ;D