War in the West inquiry

Started by LoganismyHERO, August 07, 2020, 08:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganismyHERO

For the experts here. Would this game even on easy mode be too much to bite off for someone who hasn't much experience in games of this scale? I get frustrated LESS as I age, but my attention span is also LESS as I age  :D 

SirAndrewD

My rule for the Grigsby titles is to play the smaller campaigns almost exclusively. 

I don't think there's any scenario where I'm going to be able to complete a grand campaign on any of his games.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

LoganismyHERO

I've watched a couple of Pewpewchewchew's video tutorials and I think if I just take things slow I'd be ok.

-budd-

Believing is half the battle O0

Like SirAndrew, i've played a bunch of hours, especially WITE and i've never played the main campaign. With these games you have to enjoy the details, i do, but just don't have the stamina for the campaign. Get the DLC also if you can, which gives you more smaller scenarios.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: -budd- on August 07, 2020, 09:01:45 PM
Get the DLC also if you can, which gives you more smaller scenarios.

+1

WitW Operation Torch DLC has some Tunisia scenarios that are very playable without having to take a deep dive into the system. The 19 turn Battle for Tunisia 43 scenario is good fun and a quick play; a great way to learn the game IMHO.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

nelmsm

Start with the smaller scenarios and work your way up to the grand one.  Each will give you a chance to learn a bit more as you go.

Father Ted

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on August 07, 2020, 08:25:46 PM
I've watched a couple of Pewpewchewchew's video tutorials and I think if I just take things slow I'd be ok.

You'd be ok whatever.  You're playing against the computer in your own time.  There's no judgement.  If things go "wrong", you can just start again.  I would definitely say go for it - for me the experience of getting into the mechanics of the game was part of the package.  Playing a scenario just added to that enjoyment.  Having said that, it's an expensive game just to have a look at.  Pick it up on a Stem sale and refund if it's not for you.