Main Menu

Port Royal 4

Started by Jarhead0331, September 25, 2020, 03:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I had no idea this was in the works...much less out for release today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1024650/Port_Royale_4/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Old TImer

I'd be interested, but it sounds like the naval battles suck.  Now why you would make a pirates
game and have the naval battles suck is beyond my comprehension.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: gregb41352 on September 25, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
I'd be interested, but it sounds like the naval battles suck.  Now why you would make a pirates
game and have the naval battles suck is beyond my comprehension.

Well, its not really a "pirates game" nor has combat ever been the focus. Its more of an economic strategy game with combat as a secondary component. I agree though, the combat in the trailer looked less than satisfying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I always go into games like this or Patrician with high hopes and they always kick my ass.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

They seemed to have turned things upside down with a real-time strategy layer and turn-based tactical battles.  I've never played any of the previous Port Royale games but have played a couple of the Patrician ones. 

edit: so I just looked and of course I own Port Royale 2 on GOG but have never played it!

Gusington

Well now is the time then, eh?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

I'll take a shot at this game at some point, but $50 a little too steep for what I likely would get out of it....

glen55

I played the heck out of PR 3. It's an island-management economic RTS like Tropico with the twist that the point of your economy is to support a pirate ship/fleet that goes out on cruises and brings back goodies that correlate to how well you fitted it out. I kind of wore out on that genre, but a well-done PR 4 could get me back in.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on September 25, 2020, 04:21:12 PM
I always go into games like this or Patrician with high hopes and they always kick my ass.

Sadly, I know the feeling as well. 

Anguille

I've been following it for a while now. I already Port Royal back then. The problem i see, is that it's still the same game. I think i'll take a look at it when it's on sale. Port Royale 3 is good enough for me right now. And i still have to play Rise of Venise and Patrician IV first.

Gusington

I am shocked you have not played Rise of Venice!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on September 26, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
I am shocked you have not played Rise of Venice!
I have it but didn't have the time to play it yet. You liked it?

Gusington

Haven't played it 😎

But you have very specific, old school gaming tastes and I would think you would be all over it!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: Gusington on September 27, 2020, 02:18:21 PM
Haven't played it 😎

But you have very specific, old school gaming tastes and I would think you would be all over it!

Ah ah, you're right....but i am also a very slow player....still have a lot of games that i have yet to play ;)

Gusington

Me too, I know the pain :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd