NWS- Rule the Waves 2 bad service - Fixed+ by NWS!

Started by solops, October 23, 2020, 12:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Has anyone had to deal with an NWS problem lately? I am trying to set up RTW2 on my laptop while I am traveling away from my desktop. The process is unclear and arcane. I sent in a request for help and have gotten back nothing but automated replies that ignore the issue and the particulars I detailed in my request. It also instructs me to do things that make no sense, like creating a new account when I (obviously) already have one. NWS has always been tops with customer service in the past. Christopher has been a joy to deal with for years, but this....this is a nightmare, an automated help system from Hell.  What happened!?!?!!?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

LoganismyHERO

I order miniatures from him and he's gotten a lot slower to re-stock and ship.

Grim.Reaper

solops

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 24, 2020, 12:19:38 AM
have you seen this...seems pretty reasonable instructions

http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/How_To_Transfer_RTW2.pdf

No, I have not seen this. It is not in the e-mails I got when I bought the game nor is it in any of the stuff/links the robotic "help" has sent me. Nor is it in the "Issues with Activation" thread on their forums...or anywhere else on the NWS forums that I can find. If it is there, it is not jumping out at me. It does look promising and I will try it out. Thank you.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

I see now buried in one of the activation screens a link to transferring the game, which is not really what I want to do. If I have to "transfer" the game every time I switch PCs that is going to be a royal pain. I won't be buying any more games that require that. We shall see. I need to check this out.

solops

Apparently, you have to be sitting in front of both PCs at the same time and the "transfer" involves deactivating the game on one of the PCs. Since my desktop is 110 miles away, that is a non-starter for me. And having to go through this every time just to switch PCs is ridiculous. This whole thing reminds me of what Norm Koger did to Distant Guns, a game I liked, and Jutland. It killed that game company. I am just not going to go there. This whole thing is silly and too much of a pain to go through. I will NOT be buying anything else from NWS if it uses this scheme.

And I have still not heard anything helpful from NWS on the problem. Grim Reaper is the only useful help I have gotten.

planetbrain

I updated the BIOS on my desktop & that apparently totally killed the activation on that machine. Rather annoying but totally & quickly fixed after contacting NWS.
De-activating on one machine to install on another really isn't that hard & you do not need both machines to be at hand or to do it in one hit.
Plus you do get two activations per purchase. As mentioned earlier, just follow these instructions:
http://www.navalwarfare.net/files/SAI/How_To_Transfer_RTW2.pdf
I can agree it's all a pain but well worth it (& not that difficult) IMO. RTW2 is one very good game!
I am surprised to hear the lack of response from NWS. My experience has always been very positive.
Mostly harmless

planetbrain

I guess though that the biggest problem with this form of activation is that, if your PC dies while activated, you  can't transfer it. That's a loss unless you can convince NWS to assist (as happened when I updated the BIOS).
Mostly harmless

Warship NWS

To Solops,

Not sure who you are by your user name on these forums.. drop me an email at warshipfc@yahoo.com that includes your user name here so I can tie the two together.

If a transfer of licence is not working out I can set you up with 2 PC codes so you can run RTW2 on 2 PCs for your own personal use. I just need the Site/Mid codes for each PC so I can reply back with 2 sets of serial/activation codes.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store
http://www.nwswargaming.net

Warship NWS

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on October 23, 2020, 03:47:36 PM
I order miniatures from him and he's gotten a lot slower to re-stock and ship.

Depends on the publisher. Note many UK miniatures publishers/production facilities got fouled up by the COVID lock downs .. lately most have recovered but not all.

Let me know if that helps..

Thanks

Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store

Warship NWS

Quote from: planetbrain on October 24, 2020, 06:09:48 PM
I guess though that the biggest problem with this form of activation is that, if your PC dies while activated, you  can't transfer it. That's a loss unless you can convince NWS to assist (as happened when I updated the BIOS).

That is when you contact me and I can help you work it out.. not a hard problem to solve on my end.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store

Warship NWS

an automated help system from Hell.

No automated system here.. I have a set of instructions that covers most all bases, plus we have our PDF information.. if that does not solve the problem let me know and I can take it from there.

No different then referring customers to an FAQ.. will it cover 100% of everything? No, but if it cuts down on even 75% of the same repeated questions then its worth giving it a shot and gives us more time to work on the store and productions.

Again.. if that does not work, then get back to me and we can go from there.

Overall the activation system is pretty simple.. send your site/mid codes per PC and get back serial/activation codes.. copy and paste all the way and done. If you need updated codes I can work that out so long as it all lines up to only 2 PCs per purchase. The transfer can take a few steps but if that is not a workable solution I can work out a set of codes for each, up to, 2 active PCs.

Let me know if that helps..

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store

Warship NWS

To solops,

I believe I figured out which email you sent on my help desk.. replied yesterday and again just now. Let me know if you received the replies, note they might have landed in your spam box.

I also found a 2nd activation request from 10/23 which I replied to with the activation codes.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store

DennisS

I had nearly the identical situation. I purchased a new one, and forgot to transfer over the game.

A year later, I went..OH CRAP...and tried many different things. I had saved the activation code, and all of my correspondence.

Finally..I sent Chris Dean a personal email, and asked for his help. It was immediate, and successful.

Frankly, it helps that I have purchased many board wargames through his store. His prices are as good as anyones.

Warship NWS

To DennisS

Thanks for the support friend :)

Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store