Monitors 144hz what do you like?

Started by demjansk1942, October 26, 2020, 04:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

demjansk1942

I am thinking of getting a new monitor for some of my battles on Battlefield 5.  I use a LG 34" flat screen tv monitor now, however, I think it's time for a new one sine I have a decent setup. 

Just curious about what other gamers like. 

Thanks

Gusington

I have had Acer monitors for the last 10 years and they have been excellent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

BF 5 is a resource hog.
I am unable to get it to 144 fps stable on my rig which exceeds recommended specs. A few mates with even beefier systems have the same problem.

I run at 80 to 105 fps on 2160x1440 with most settings at medium on a GTX1080

However, I do feel a 144hz Free/Gsync monitor is worth it if you play shooters regularly even if you cannot reach max refreshrate.
The absence of tearing and the very low latency is absolutely noticable!

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FarAway Sooner

As is so often the case with a monitor, graphics cards play a key role in driving up frame rates and resolution to acceptable levels.  I recently picked up a 34" Dell D3220-SGF and love it, powered by an RX-580 GPU (the GPU is a mid-range power-hog by current standards), but I think I got more enjoyment out of the QHD resolution than I did the boost in frame rates.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-32-led-curved-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-hdr/6375331.p?skuId=6375331

demjansk1942

Thanks guys for the responses, I have a Super 2070, super fast Ram and a i7 9700k, 3.60 cpu

I like the way the games look now but refresh rate is 60hz.  I think if I had a gaming monitor it would probably be looking better.  The only bad thing, is not being able to see it in person.

Do you guys think a few sales will be coming up or any sites that have solid information?

Thanks
Dem

Yskonyn

It will not look better per say.

Resolution and pixeldensity play a factor here as does panel quality.

For example, a 40" 1080p (full HD) monitor has less pixeldensity than a 40" 4K monitor and so the former will look a little blurry in comparison.
That's why, for gaming, you usually find that people recommend certain resolutions only up to a given screensize.

So high resolution on a smaller screen makes things sharper (but also makes text smaller). Finding a good compromise is key and very personal.

Then you also have the screen panels to take into account.
TN / VA or IPS panels; the latter offers much richer colours and better colour calibration, but in general are slower (have higher latencies), but we are seeing improvements this last year with IPS panels having gamerproof latencies and refreshrates, but they are more pricey (of course).

Going less expensive will mean sacrificing one or more of the above elements.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I'm buying an entirely new rig with monitor on Black Friday, the day after American Thanksgiving. Not sure where you are located.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: demjansk1942 on October 26, 2020, 02:48:48 PM
Thanks guys for the responses, I have a Super 2070, super fast Ram and a i7 9700k, 3.60 cpu

I like the way the games look now but refresh rate is 60hz.  I think if I had a gaming monitor it would probably be looking better.  The only bad thing, is not being able to see it in person.

Do you guys think a few sales will be coming up or any sites that have solid information?

Thanks
Dem

Sounds like you've got plenty of horsepower, Dem, but I'm not sure how well you'll do on BF5.  The best overview of all these topics I've found is at Tom's Harware! 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/monitor-buying-guide,5699.html

Yskonyn

I don't think there exists a system yet that run BF5 on a stable 144 fps.

demjansk1942

Thanks for the Toms link on buying guides. I thought the 144hz is good for the game experience, I was looking at going to a 27" LG or Asus and looking at a 1ms plus G-Sync.  I have everything now running on a 315 LG but it's at 60hz.  I need to get over to Bestbuy and see the difference between 27 and 32.

Do you think most monitors will go on sale in the next month or are new models coming out?

You can spend hours looking at these monitors online.  Unbelievable with all the specifications, refresh rates, pixels etc.  makes you go crazy and not sure if something is better around the corner.

JasonPratt

Keep in mind, you might get a better deal on a television which will serve you just as well as a 'monitor' (the same is theoretically true in reverse of course -- just depends what your local market is like). I've used a Vizio for many years, with a slight upgrade to size but I have a strong physical limit on what my corner-desk can hold, about 38" diagonal with a thin border.

Even aside from being able to tuck a monitor into that corner, my glasses (nearsightedness) also factors a practical limit. Even if my eyesight was 20/20, any screen large enough I have to turn my head to see different portions, is too large (or I'm sitting too close); but with my glasses, there's natural distortion toward all edges of the lenses so I'm limited to the center half-area in the middle of the lenses.

What really counts most in my experience is finding a good checklist (including a proper blue gel to look through) for dialing in your screen's basic balances using a color bar signal: brightness, contrast, color, tint, and sharpness (and maybe gamma). These aren't always set optimally from the factory, or by the store (complicated by the video source sometimes having its own settings.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

solops

"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

demjansk1942

Sorry guys about not explaining battlefield 5.  I play fairly well but I sit about 30" from the screen.  Just the number of models is crazy.  I have it down to Asus and lg.  Going to sit on it for a while.  I need to go look at the screen sizes.  Thanks for helping out and let me know if you have anything else.  I appreciate it