Started by Jarhead0331, October 29, 2020, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Looks great.  I like that you can use old notebooks/tablets as command panels. O0
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

hellfish6

I get the sense that everything is a mockup at this point. We're years away from even beta, I think.

Old TImer

This looks really good.  Hope they can get it done.

Toonces

'Sup fellas.
I just came across this on Subsim.com (searching out some mods for Silent Hunter 4).  There is a team making a new modern submarine sim - a 'spiritual successor to Dangerous Waters - called Modern Naval Warfare.

From what I can gather, it's aiming to be a modern sub sim, initially focusing on the Virginia Class submarine and a South China Sea campaign.  Additional platforms and campaigns will be DLC.  Multiplayer and multi-crew is intended in addition to single player.

I read that they're currently searching out a publisher.  I wouldn't be surprised if The Admiral is all over this with his ties at Microprose.

Anyway, it looks pretty good to me.  Speaking strictly for myself, I would have preferred sticking to an older sub, maybe an early LA-class and more Cold War goodness, but I tend to be in the minority with these things. 

I've been fortunate to check out a Virginia Class sub, and it's pretty amazing how accurate this control room looks from what I remember.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

There are a few more vids out there on YouTube...

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

rustyshackleford

O0 A fellow subsimmer, nice!

This game looks amazing, thanks for the heads up. Reminds me of Jane's 688i or Dangerous Waters - man did I spend a ton of time on those ones!

I'm currently playing SH4 as well - which mods are you running? I am looking at the TMO mod but not sure yet.

I've also been juggling U-Boat and Wolfpack. It's a great time to be a subsimmer!

Fette Beute \m/

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

Doh.

Maybe you could use your super mod-powers to merge the threads? 

Yskonyn

Let me try my hand at me newfound mod powers... if I break the forum, please accept my apologies beforehand...

3... 2... 1...
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 28, 2021, 04:28:28 AM
Let me try my hand at me newfound mod powers... if I break the forum, please accept my apologies beforehand...

3... 2... 1...

You did it!  :clap:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Sorry, Rusty, I just saw your questions.  I just installed the Fall of the Rising Sun mod.  I have Trigger Maru installed, but disabled at the moment.

I'm pretty novice at SH4, so I don't really notice what the mods bring to the table.  I put shockingly little time into stock SH4.  I like the idea of WW2 sub simming, but somehow I just never seem to click with it.  I strongly prefer modern sub simming.  Cold Waters really resonated with me because it strips away the minutiae and allows the player to focus on the high-level Commander decisions.  With just a little more depth it would have been my go-to sim.  What breaks it, for me, is that there really is no opportunity to use CZ or off-hull cueing to maneuver your sub into a good tactical position.  Every mission starts with your sub in front of the enemy, and you have to guess whether to go right or left to get on the enemy's flank.  I still play it alot  because it is fun, but it could have been great with just a few changes.

I've been using the Ultimate Mod, which brings some realism changes to weapons and sensors, enables a lot more submarines, and so forth.

What I really liked about the trailer for Modern Naval Warfare is that the emphasis seems to be on putting the player in the role of Commander, with the AI working all of the stations (although it sounds like the player can jump into them if she chooses).  That's really the way I prefer to play a sub sim.  I just wish it was an LA-Class or maybe even an older boat rather than a VACL.  Can you imagine maybe a Trafalgar class sub in a 70's GIUK Gap campaign?  You know, something that hasn't been done.  A Virginia in the SCS really doesn't interest me...but I'll be playing regardless.

So I'm hopeful this will bring that extra depth that is missing from Cold Waters, keeping the focus on the high-level decision making and letting the AI work the details.

rustyshackleford

Quote from: Toonces on January 29, 2021, 02:27:39 PM
Sorry, Rusty, I just saw your questions.  I just installed the Fall of the Rising Sun mod.  I have Trigger Maru installed, but disabled at the moment.

I'm pretty novice at SH4, so I don't really notice what the mods bring to the table.  I put shockingly little time into stock SH4.  I like the idea of WW2 sub simming, but somehow I just never seem to click with it.  I strongly prefer modern sub simming.  Cold Waters really resonated with me because it strips away the minutiae and allows the player to focus on the high-level Commander decisions.  With just a little more depth it would have been my go-to sim.  What breaks it, for me, is that there really is no opportunity to use CZ or off-hull cueing to maneuver your sub into a good tactical position.  Every mission starts with your sub in front of the enemy, and you have to guess whether to go right or left to get on the enemy's flank.  I still play it alot  because it is fun, but it could have been great with just a few changes.

I've been using the Ultimate Mod, which brings some realism changes to weapons and sensors, enables a lot more submarines, and so forth.

What I really liked about the trailer for Modern Naval Warfare is that the emphasis seems to be on putting the player in the role of Commander, with the AI working all of the stations (although it sounds like the player can jump into them if she chooses).  That's really the way I prefer to play a sub sim.  I just wish it was an LA-Class or maybe even an older boat rather than a VACL.  Can you imagine maybe a Trafalgar class sub in a 70's GIUK Gap campaign?  You know, something that hasn't been done.  A Virginia in the SCS really doesn't interest me...but I'll be playing regardless.

So I'm hopeful this will bring that extra depth that is missing from Cold Waters, keeping the focus on the high-level decision making and letting the AI work the details.

No worries, man! I cut my teeth on Aces of the Deep and the early Silent Hunters, so for a while driving WW2 boats was all I knew about subs. They hold a special place in my heart but it does get old chasing convoys for hours only to have all 4 torps of your spread be duds...then the endless cycle of depth charging commences. I picked up a copy of Jane's 668i sometime in the early 2000s and it just blew my mind - the game felt completely different and the tactics are a lot more cerebral in my opinion.

I'm like you though, I don't like doing the nitty-gritty stuff and prefer having the AI work the stations while I step back and oversee the bigger picture as commander; that's why I loved Cold Waters - No waterfall to mess with, no fire controls to mess with; I just give the order and my trained crew carries it out like they would IRL.

I really hope Modern Naval Warfare has good AI. Cold Waters (vanilla) fell a little short in my opinion. There was a tactic I loved doing in 688i if I needed to quickly close a very large distance between me and a target and get in close: I'd drive deep and launch a torp straight down the bearing toward the target and put it into active, then I'd go flank and "ride" right behind the torpedo to use its pings and motor to mask my own movements. This 99% of the time scared the SHIT out of whatever it was I was trying to get close to. Once I was close enough, I'd cut engines and use my momentum to drift on a different heading just in case a torpedo was coming my way on the reciprocal bearing. This worked the majority of the time, and the targets often thought I was still waaaaay back where I first launched my torp, completely unaware I was within a mile or so of them.

I tried it in Cold Waters and the AI seems to be all knowing since they'd never take the bait and would always know exactly where I was.