Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords  (Read 366 times)

Offline Myrmidon

• Equites
Wizards and Warlords
« on: November 19, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
https://store.steampowered.com/app/567080/Wizards_and_Warlords/

Anyone playing this yet?  I just picked it up, somewhat recklessly, but based on the reviews and what I've seen, I think there's a gem here, but I'm still diving in.  The documentation is virtually non-existent, but there are some guides out there. 

The intended audience appears to be those looking for the vaunted successor to Master of Magic, and who enjoy deeper strategic classics ala Dominions or Conquest of Elysium.  The worlds are proceduraly generated, and there seems to be a variety of different "Wizards" or "Warlords" one can play. 

Anyways, I'm in the middle of staring and clicking around right now.  Wanted to share, and see if there was any recommendations from anyone one how to go about learning this beast.

Offline CJReich46

• Viking
  • His Mind Is NOT for Rent
Re: Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 07:24:30 PM »
I know Nookrium on his You Tube channel played a bit of it, and so did Das Tactic. Try there.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all.  - James Graham 1st Marquess of Montrose

Offline al_infierno

• Viking
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 07:44:33 PM »
Looks very interesting, thanks for sharing
If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
- Cormac McCarthy

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

Blessed are the dead that the rain falls on.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline FarAway Sooner

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 11:33:42 AM »
This one's been on my Wishlist for a little while.  It looks intriguing.  I'd love some first impressions after you've played it for a little while.  I'd love it if you could give me your impressions on two questions:

1) Am I the only one who finds the map textures not-so-appealing?  If not, did you get over it after a little while?  I hate to be so superficial, but it feels awfully... pastel to me.

2) What does this do differently than other Fantasy 4x games that we've seen in the last 20 years?  (the "Cultures" piece looks very intriguing)

Offline Myrmidon

• Equites
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:23:56 PM »
Just had a fairly long review that I had typed out... and after accidentally hitting <TAB> and <Backspace>, lost it all.  Pretty pissed.  When I cool down,  I'll re-type it later. 

Offline FarAway Sooner

• Man-at-Arms
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
Thanks, man.  Been there, done that.  Take your time.  We'll still be here!   :hug: