Author Topic: Grand Tactician, American Civil War  (Read 13933 times)

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
  • Aboard the Praetor's Pride
Re: Grand Tactician, American Civil War
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2020, 07:40:17 AM »
Ok so I fired up the game over the weekend in response to the new patch that some YouTubers are saying have changed the game drastically since early release. 

I played for about 3 hours or so in addition the 8 I had put in a few months ago.  I've come to the conclusion that while this is a good game it is nothing more than building up armies in a strategic layer and then watching them duke it out on a tactical layer.  While the economy and industry are very deep in this game there really isn't much the player needs to do to affect them.  Simply spend money and build up your armies then send them out and watch the fights begin. 

I'm bored.  Next game please...
Forgive me my old friend.  But I must use all my experience...to get home.

Offline Rayfer

• Condottieri
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2020, 08:11:47 AM »
Ok so I fired up the game over the weekend in response to the new patch that some YouTubers are saying have changed the game drastically since early release. 

I played for about 3 hours or so in addition the 8 I had put in a few months ago.  I've come to the conclusion that while this is a good game it is nothing more than building up armies in a strategic layer and then watching them duke it out on a tactical layer.  While the economy and industry are very deep in this game there really isn't much the player needs to do to affect them.  Simply spend money and build up your armies then send them out and watch the fights begin. 

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  Deleted it yesterday after playing a few hours with the newest update.  But I'll definitely go back at some future time when there is more to it than what you posted.

Offline Sir Slash

• Arquebusier
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2020, 10:13:54 AM »
Sad to hear.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »

Unfortunately, I have to agree.  Deleted it yesterday after playing a few hours with the newest update.  But I'll definitely go back at some future time when there is more to it than what you posted.

Yeah I think I'll delete it off my drive as well.  I will like you say keep my eyes out for when the finished product is completed.  I still support these guys but I'm done for now.

Sad to hear.  :'(

Yeah.  If you haven't done so already save your money on this one.   

Offline berto

• Velites
  • have war gamed for 55+ years
    • PIKT
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2020, 03:15:59 PM »
Doesn't GTACW have stand-alone historical battles, apart from the strategic layer?  If the strategic layer is a bust and/or the interfacing of the strategic layer with the dynamic battle layer is a bust, is the historical battle layer by itself still worthwhile?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:01:08 PM by berto »
Campaign Series Legion, http://cslegion.com
Campaign Series: Middle East Lead Coder, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Battles Lead Coder, http://johntillersoftware.com/PanzerBattles.html
Civil War Battles Lead Coder, http://johntillersoftware.com/CivilWarBattles.html

Offline W8taminute

• Landsknecht
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2020, 04:41:16 PM »
I haven't tried the stand alone historic battles so I can't really comment but I will say this.  I enjoy the tactical battle system of this game in campaign mode.  So I would think the historical battles would be enjoyable.