ARMA Reforger - Released to Early Access

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 17, 2022, 12:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

This looks kind of cool, might have to pull the trigger on it.  Just trying to find out how much single player content is in it first.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1874880/Arma_Reforger/

Powered by the new Enfusion engine, Arma Reforger lets you fight for supremacy over 51 km2 of incredible island terrain in an authentic Cold War setting, or create unique scenarios in real-time with the Game Master curation mode. Return to Everon, the war-driven microstate from the hit game that started it all, Arma: Cold War Assault.

Arma Reforger is the first step towards Arma 4 and a versatile, creative, fully-moddable platform for the future, offering a glimpse of things to come.

Jarhead0331

The best part of this is that it acknowledges and confirms that ARMA4 is real and that it is already under development.

At 1:42...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Yep...and I already broke down and bought this.

Bardolph

Downloading now. I just want to drive around Everon, wish they did Maldon too. I still have flashbacks...those faces... "oh no!  One... is down...", "Four... where are...you?"

Grim.Reaper

Not sure what to make of it yet.....seems more like a paid technical demo and an option for ARMA4 modders to get a head start.  Thought I saw somewhere mentioned the game would only be supported for about a year before they fully move on to ARMA4.  The main single player content is just the tutorial so far and some people have mentioned being able to do some kind o multiplayer bot mode, but I haven't figured that out yet.  I really don't care if they ever add a campaign or too many single player missions as lond as the community ends up publishing some of that.  Depending on how things pan out over the next week or so, I may consider refunding it and try later when more flushed out.....although based on my history, that isn't likely.

Skoop

I don't see the point in this, they should released it free to play. 30.00 bucks for this is pretty lame to me.  I'm just going to wait for arma4, plus there's already a ton of Cold War content for arma3.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on May 18, 2022, 05:38:23 AM
I don't see the point in this, they should released it free to play. 30.00 bucks for this is pretty lame to me.  I'm just going to wait for arma4, plus there's already a ton of Cold War content for arma3.

I think for the average or casual player, $29.99 will not make sense. I think it is overpriced for the content that it presently has. I also think it is overpriced if it is only going to be supported for a year, although I have trouble believing this developer would simply abandon anything seeing how they have supported the other arma titles for years. Still, I got this to support development of arma4...no other reason. I'm not sure when I'll even get around to playing it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

A lot of people seem to be claiming reforger is over simplified for consoles?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on May 18, 2022, 08:00:33 AM
A lot of people seem to be claiming reforger is over simplified for consoles?

I think that is a silly claim. This is very early access. I think part of the whole point of Reforger is that it lets serious players get into the new engine and help shape development, just like Bohemia did with the development branch of ARMA3. This way players can make requests and suggestions for features. Otherwise, the handling of infantry, if anything, is more flexible than it was in ARMA3...pacing, posture and crouching, jumping and vaulting, etc. It is all much more advanced.

People just need to chill. This is the first brush stroke on a new canvas.

Arma4 is coming and I have no doubt Reforger will help make it epic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

I might feel better about paying $30 for the first stroke of a brush on canvas, if there was strong promise of that being a downpayment on the price of the eventual painting.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 18, 2022, 11:57:22 AM
I might feel better about paying $30 for the first stroke of a brush on canvas, if there was strong promise of that being a downpayment on the price of the eventual painting.  ::)

I'll never understand this kind of an attitude. If supporting development is not your thing, fine. I can dig it. But there is literally nothing else out there that even comes close to this combat sandbox and the support that Bohemia has devoted to the last title in the series that is now almost over TEN YEARS old has been second to none. No other developer that I am aware of supports games with patches and fresh content like Bohemia has. To this day, they still support the game and release updates and content.

Its $30 for Christ's sake. It's not like you're talking about a down payment on a house. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Yeah, I am not losing too much sleep over this.....I suspect we will see some of the content I am looking for in single player stuff by mods at some point, enough to keep me busy.  From my short time with it, "feels" better to me, smoother than in the past.  As for console comments, not sure what that is based on.  Granted I have gotten far, but seems very typical ARMA to me so far.  I actually like the fact it seems more friendly to controllers as I much prefer that over mouse/keyboard.

My only question/concern about this version and the future ARMA 4 version is how much of the content will be dedicated to single player.  Just hope it shares focus with the single player experience.  Time will tell.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 18, 2022, 12:46:03 PM

My only question/concern about this version and the future ARMA 4 version is how much of the content will be dedicated to single player.  Just hope it shares focus with the single player experience.  Time will tell.

Agreed 100%. Arma 3, particularly with its later DLC content set a pretty bad precedent for this. But, yes, there is a tremendous amount of modded content out there for solo players like us, including campaigns and dynamic scenarios.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Just kinda sad that Arma 3 will be heading to the great beyond sooner or later.  Still, onwards and upwards!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 18, 2022, 01:28:12 PM
Just kinda sad that Arma 3 will be heading to the great beyond sooner or later.  Still, onwards and upwards!

It will always be a great game and will probably always have a spot on my HD...with mods, it has one heck of a foot print too.

Heck, sometimes I still think about re-installing Arma 2!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog