Author Topic: Ships!  (Read 345337 times)

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
  • ringmaster at circus amateur night
Re: Ships!
« Reply #2910 on: December 24, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2911 on: December 26, 2019, 07:17:12 AM »
Bomb impacts on Enterprise, August 1942

https://imgur.com/GUrPZOA
“Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don’t find out until too late that he’s been playing with two queens all along”.  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2912 on: December 27, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »
Battleships steaming in column off the California coast during the 1920s. The three leading ships are (in no particular order) USS Colorado (BB-45), USS Maryland (BB-46), and USS West Virginia (BB-48), followed by USS Tennessee (BB-43) and three older battleships.

Photograph taken from USS California (BB-44).

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2913 on: December 30, 2019, 06:21:46 AM »
Economic reality is putting the brakes on Chinese carrier expansion.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htnavai/20191229.aspx

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2914 on: January 01, 2020, 07:23:04 PM »
HMS Liverpool after crossing the Atlantic, passing through the  Panama Canal and heading up to California with a temporary bow to reach  the Mare Island Naval Shipyard for repairs. Her bow was badly damaged  when an Italian SM.79 Sparviero torpedo bomber found its mark on 14  October 1940 as the ship made for Alexandria, Egypt - 30 killed, 35 more  wounded.
Taken under tow from the stern a fuel fire had further  compromised the structural integrity of the bow. The subsequent  combination of drag and turbulence removed it completely on the first  day of a two day reverse journey to Alexandria. Once there she was given  a temporary bow fix and sent on her way to California, where she was  photographed above and made anew. The ship survived another torpedo hit  from the same type of aircraft in June 1942.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2916 on: January 04, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »
Nice group.

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2917 on: January 04, 2020, 07:33:25 PM »

"With your eyes closed?"

Offline besilarius

• Landsknecht
« Reply #2918 on: February 02, 2020, 04:33:33 PM »
Navy film on 1988 ASW.

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/TrackingThreat.html

Toonces, is this representative of what is presently sent out on weather track?

"With your eyes closed?"