Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Started by GDS_Starfury, May 06, 2022, 06:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Perhaps - I'm thinking that strong, young women characters are kinda written in a similar way, and this goes for TV in general and not just Sci-Fi stuff specifically.

But, I dig Drummer, so I'm cool if this is an unintended nod to her character.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

FlickJax

Love it myself, this is true trek in my eyes.... and I prefer it to all the star wars spinoffs too :)

RedArgo

I liked SNW for the most part, it had some cringy moments, but probably less that TOS and way less than any of the Disney SW stuff.

I especially liked the tie back to the TOS series Romulans in the last episode.

Are Discovery and Picard worth keeping Paramount+ for (plus NFL, since I don't have cable and antenna won't work where I live)?

GDS_Starfury

we only keep it when the series are running.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

give me more!  the best sci fi on tv.

SirAndrewD

I can't wait for the live action Lower Decks cameo. 

And hooray!  Proper Klingons!
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

GDS_Starfury

yes!  the Klingons are back to normal.

SirAndrewD

Well, Picard S3 did sort of beat SNW to the punch with Worf looking, well, like Worf.  But it's nice to see SNW starting to leave more of the Disco look behind. 

Now, the visual continuity question for me is this.  Since we've seen SNW style AND TOS style Constitution classes now in Picard, I wonder if the Enterprise is going to get busted up and have a refit before the end of the season.   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

So this is a prequel to the original Star Trek but the Klingons are like in the movies, not like in the TV show, correct? Or did they just do the alternate universe thing as in the Chris Pine version of the franchise?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 19, 2023, 10:21:20 PMSo this is a prequel to the original Star Trek but the Klingons are like in the movies, not like in the TV show, correct? Or did they just do the alternate universe thing as in the Chris Pine version of the franchise?

It's a prequel to TOS, set a bit less than 10 years before by this point.  It's not set in the "Kelvin" timeline of JJ Abrams-verse. 

However, you might not know that because, when Bryan Fuller made Discovery he decided to keep the show in canon but not visual continuity.  He wanted an updated visual reboot with no concern for the relatively stable visual canon of the original 1969-2005 era.

Among those Star Trek fans who were visual continuity nerds and demanded every update to SFX and makeup be explained, this almost entire abandonment of the look of the Trek they'd been used to was controversial to say the least.  Even internally, CBS wasn't fond of the direction and Fuller was let go before the first episode of Discovery even aired.  It was a mess.

There were also, by rumors, some visual rights issue because at that time Viacom had dissolved and some of the visual rights were split between Paramount and CBS that had split the TV/Movie rights between them in the (now temporary) divorce.  This, again by rumor, led to a rule that any ship/uniform/alien had to be about 25% different from what appeared in the old unified rights.  This is no longer an issue as CBS and Paramount remerged a couple of years ago.

Everyone that's been asked on record has denied that the 25% rule was ever a thing, but it's an awful coincidence that once Viacom reformed that Star Trek started to slowly, and sometimes awkwardly, return to the 69-05 continuity.  All except Discovery which has been put into a corner 1000 years in the Star Trek future and is now, thankfully, ending.

So, essentially you have two lineages of visuals now coexisting in the "Prime" universe of Star Trek

Discovery --> Strange New Worlds S1 --> Picard S1 and S2

Star Trek 69-05 --> Lower Decks --> Prodigy --> Picard S3

Strange New Worlds did start a trend towards bringing back updated TOS visuals and just didn't show Klingons at all, but it was still a visual reboot just a softer on then Discovery.

Picard is unique in that it's abysmal first and second seasons had largely a continuity that connected to Discovery.  We see an image of the original NCC-1701 and it looks like it did in Discovery and Strange New Worlds in Season 2.  However in the more TNG like Season 3 we see a Constitution class in a museum that is 100% the original TOS design.  We also see the Enterprise NCC-1701-A in the same museum that is exactly as she looked in the movies.

It now seems they're trying to merge all the visuals together and explain them largely in story as coexisting.  One thing I love is they finally reconciled the difference between the ridgeless TOS/Movie Romulans and ridged TNG Romulans.  The ridges are just an old Vulcanoid racial trait.  It's rare on Vulcan, but dominant on Romulas.  Romulans from the northern and southern regions have different physical traits the way Caucasians differ from Asians visually. 

Looks like they're doing the same with the Klingons now.  Enterprise established there are smooth headed TOS Klingons coexisting with ridged Klingons.  While I think it's best they probably just ignore Disco-Klingons we can assume they exist, but they were just a particularly weird racial subset we never saw much of later. 

Wow, that was a post worth of Jason Pratt.  And yes, I know some people flatly don't care about the changes, and actually prefer that they be creative with their effects and looks.  More power to them, but I was a kid that grew up slaving over my Enterprise AMT model kit to make it look just like she did on screen and these things always bug me.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Thank you SirAndrew. All that actually makes some sense to me now and I find very interesting. It seems, 'resistance is futile' to the inevitable confluence of the series.  :halfrobot:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 20, 2023, 11:13:59 AMThank you SirAndrew. All that actually makes some sense to me now and I find very interesting. It seems, 'resistance is futile' to the inevitable confluence of the series.  :halfrobot:

Yeah, I kind of look at this as the "We're Sorry" phase of modern Star Trek.  Discovery and Picard S1-2 were really deeply disappointing, not just because of the visuals but the tone, characters, stories.  Discovery's highest points were when the Enterprise showed up, and when she left I felt like I wanted to go with her.  Fortunately Strange New Worlds solved that. 

It all came down to the fact that by the time they saw what Fuller was doing on Discovery and they fired him, there was simply too much of the show done too much money spent for them to just backtrack.  It took years to untangle the mess that was made by him and their decision to double down on keeping it a prequel to TOS. 

They have done a really good job of righting the ship.  Strange New Worlds returned to the heart and soul of Star Trek if not the pure visuals.  Lower Decks nailed it all.  Picard Season 3 is the show we wanted all along, and it's finally the glorious last ride of the TNG Crew and...well..won't spoil the rest. 

This isn't the first time it's happened.  Enterprise suffered from the same issues back in the early 2000's when the studio demanded that a show set 200 years before TOS look like TNG.  They also did a "We're Sorry" phase with Enterprise where they tried really hard to retcon themselves out of their holes in its final season when they fired Brandon Braga and brought in the TOS Nerd Manny Coto.  It was too little too late then and the cancel order had come down already.  Fortunately that's not the case this time.

Looking forward to the Picard finale tonight, words I didn't think I'd be saying after Season 2.