CMBN licensing issues for 2.12

Started by RyanE, July 06, 2014, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

Has anyone else had the 2.12 patch break the activation on MG module?  I had to do a reinstall after a HW issue and applied the 2.12 patch.  My MG activation went away.  Went back and reinstalled but applied 2.11 and no issues.  2.12 breaks it again.

I saw on the BFC forums that some other people have noticed the issue starting a few weeks ago.  BFC initially responded that they were looking into it.  That was almost a week ago.  I would have thought it would be a fairly high priority.

I had today as a free full day of gaming and planned on going H2H with a friend from Liverpool and he is on 2.12.  Just curious if any knows the compatibility issues on 2.12 vs 2.11?

panzerde

I've been running 2.12 for quite some time without any issues. The only Combat Mission game I've had to do the re-activation game with has been CBFI, and then only once.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

RyanE

I think something broke recently with the activation system.  A few people on BFC have been complaining about it recently.  I bet if you went to do a reinstall, MG would get borked.

WallysWorld

It happened to me and with my Battlefront support ticket, we've tried numerous things to try to fix it. The support person seems to think it has to do with my anti-virus (Avast) or my firewall, but I've shut both off during the patch install and licensing activation and still no go on MG.

2.11 works fine, but as soon as I install 2.12, MG doesn't show up in CMBN even though the license says it's been activated.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

RyanE

It might end up being AV, but I use Windows Defender and have the issue.  They love throwing AV companies under the bus for activation issues.  Something on their end changed recently.  2.12 worked three months ago when I installed on this laptop.  Had to do a new HD in it and now 2.12 does't work from a clean image of the drive on a twin of the hardware.

They aren't keeping people well informed of their progress on the issue.

RyanE

Just got the good old gsclean utility that wipes out the CMBN 2.0 activations.  Ran it and guess what...I have no activations left.  Even if it had worked, I had to go through some stupid procedure to manually activate the Market Garden module.  This is bordering on Graviteam patching process level of support incompetence.

Before the DRM mobs show up, I again will state that I don't mind competently run DRM.  I hate with a passion piss-poorly run DRM by small companies that don't have the resources to do it right.

I have now wasted my entire day f___ing around with BFC and this issue.  And still not resolved.  I started this cluster at 8AM this morning...14 hours and at least 4 or 5 complete reinstalls of CMBO later and not much closer.

btw, the reason I have run out of activations is because of adding RAM and a usb drive previously that killed activations.  I have had a HDD failure and a new laptop.  Now this gsclean utility will haunt me the rest of my life.  Any time I lose an activation, I will have to contact BFC and depend on them to reactivate CMBN for me.

GDS_Starfury

technically, you did spend the day with a game.

be careful what you wish for.  O0
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

RyanE

A day of game patching is usually reserved for Graviteam...BFC has been joining the club lately.

WallysWorld

The support person sent me the gsclean utility to see if wiping out the license activation would solve it and it didn't. Even tried turning off Windows DEP for the MG module to no avail. The support person has told me that this issue has them perplexed, but I'm willing to be patient.

But I'm glad I'm not the only sufferer with this because if I was the only one, that means the issue is with my computer.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

RyanE

The knee-jerk reaction is always to send out gsclean.  They don't seem to consider that it kills one of your four activations.  I have never had anyone from BFC offer to give my activation back to me.

btw, there are 5-6 separate people since mid-June that have had the issue.  I am sure there are more potential candidates out there that just haven't installed/reinstalled 2.12.

Apocalypse 31

Somewhere in the world there is a former computer of mine with a license for Shock Force Marines, which I  forgot to unlicense before uninstalling.

It would make to much sense to incorporate the unlicensing process with the uninstall process.  :2funny:

BF support will not reset my licenses either. Pretty awesome.

JudgeDredd

I've had a run in with their DRM before - only one - but when it hits, it hits hard. IIRC I was out of action for a couple of weeks. And this bollocks about your firewall/anti virus needing to be switched off or changed (yes - I was told that) is just ludicrous.

And I agree - why not unlicence when uninstalling. The different activation systems for their different games is also a HUGE pita - which I was caught out with when I built a new PC. I can't remember which way round I did it, but I read the licencing details and followed them - only to find out those instructions didn't apply to the other games. I can't remember whether it was CM:BfN I read or CM:SF - but whichever way it happened, it screwed up the other and I had to contact their support
Alba gu' brath

jomni

I'm usually tolerant to DRM but all this talk on Battlefront's make me want to avoid it.

JudgeDredd

Like most DRM's - when it works, few people care. But they often bite you in the arse eventually.

As I said, I've only had two issues with their DRM - one was it just wouldn't connect to their server and the other was mixed DRM unlicensing advice for their different games.

I don't have Market Garden so can't comment on that particular issue.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on July 06, 2014, 10:27:49 PM
Somewhere in the world there is a former computer of mine with a license for Shock Force Marines, which I  forgot to unlicense before uninstalling.

It would make to much sense to incorporate the unlicensing process with the uninstall process.  :2funny:

BF support will not reset my licenses either. Pretty awesome.

Why won't they reset your license? I'm having this problem too. I sent an email to BF support on Saturday afternoon and within 2 hours I received a response from John telling me no problem, he would reset my licenses. It has not been done yet, but I'm hopeful it will get sorted quickly now that the holiday weekend is over. I'm annoyed that I even have to ask for more licenses in the first place, but if all it takes is an email, I can live with that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18