CMBN licensing issues for 2.12

Started by RyanE, July 06, 2014, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

If you make few changes to your machine(s), you might never have a problem.  My PC environment is pretty dynamic.  I have a new laptop about every 6-12 months.  I also am always adding and changing things on it.

That is where the time wasting happens.

WallysWorld

I got an update with my support ticket and they have found the bug in the 2.12 patch. They should have a new 2.12 patch very soon.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Nefaro

RyanE

It appears that they found the issue is a bug in 2.12.  I am wondering how this happened.  I installed 2.12 before with no issues on the same machine on three months before.  Someone changed something without telling anyone.  That is a little worrisome on the version control side of things.

Ubercat

Especially if they really told Wallysworld that they're going to replace the old 2.12 with a new 2.12! I'm hoping that was just a mistype on his part.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

SgtRock

Quote from: RyanE on July 09, 2014, 05:14:00 AM
It appears that they found the issue is a bug in 2.12.  I am wondering how this happened.  I installed 2.12 before with no issues on the same machine on three months before.  Someone changed something without telling anyone.  That is a little worrisome on the version control side of things.

They don't have control over their DRM, it's third party software, if it changes who knows what it will do with their software!!! Who knows what version of DRM in is which product?

undercovergeek

we're all dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed  ::)

Nefaro

Quote from: RyanE on July 09, 2014, 05:14:00 AM

Probably just used up one of your available installs. 

I suppose at some point we may have to start contacting them and ask for permission every time we install a BF game?  :buck2:

Elvis

I started seeing tickets about this last week. Not a lot (I counted before posting and there are 4 that I have specially flagged with this) but certainly more than normal, for the same complaint. The symptoms were exactly what we see when someone's anti-virus software is giving a false positive. That is how I tried to "treat" it. When that didn't work, in my opinion, the next logical step was to look at the license state. "Knee jerk" reaction? I don't know, when you handle these things everyday (and I mean everyday....anyone who has heard from me on July 4th..or Christmas or Thanksgiving knows what I'm talking about) you see patterns with problems. And the quickest way to help someone is to try the option with the highest percentage chance of working. For instance, if someone has Norton anti-virus and all of a sudden their Commonwealth module disappears, 99 out of 100 times it is because Norton has quarantined it. Is it a "knee jerk" reaction to provide support along those lines or is it just the quickest way to get someone back in the game? Is it better to carry on a series of emails until your are 100% sure of the correct course of action (and to be candid, there is never a way to be 100% sure unless you're sitting in front of their computer) or to provide the quickest route for getting someone back on track?

Then, in the last day or two, I received word that a variation of the 2.12 patch had been uploaded by us in the last couple of weeks and this patch was causing the problem. I have no idea of why a new one was put up and it didn't occur to me to even ask.  My understanding is that the problem lies in the installer and has nothing to do with the DRM. Regardless of the why, it is a bummer and a new version of the patch will be up soon. The tickets that I have, I have marked so that as soon as I get word that the new version is released I can let you know. Heck, as I'm typing this it occurs to me that I have the older 2.12 patch download. If anyone wants to drop me a PM, I'd be happy to set up a Dropbox and give you the file.

Regarding resetting of licenses. I have never ever ever never ever ever seen someone ask or a reset/additional license and have them been told "no". It can take a day or two (longer if there's a holiday weekend involved) but they will always get you going again. Always.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Elvis

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 09, 2014, 11:04:53 AM
^ shouldn't have to ask tbh

I get that. But deciding which anti-piracy method is used is above my pay grade.

I just wanted to make sure there were no misunderstandings about not being able to ever play a game again because you've run out of actions, as a poster earlier mentioned. That's bad intel.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Elvis on July 09, 2014, 11:10:11 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 09, 2014, 11:04:53 AM
^ shouldn't have to ask tbh

I get that. But deciding which anti-piracy method is used is above my pay grade.

I just wanted to make sure there were no misunderstandings about not being able to ever play a game again because you've run out of actions, as a poster earlier mentioned. That's bad intel.
Fair point
Alba gu' brath

RyanE

So when do we get our activations back and how do we know how many we have?

Ubercat

Elvis, Norton has been having problems with Combat Mission games since at least CMBN. Have you guys ever tried contacting them to verify the legitimacy of your products?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

DennisS

Quote from: Elvis on July 09, 2014, 10:56:41 AM
I started seeing tickets about this last week. Not a lot (I counted before posting and there are 4 that I have specially flagged with this) but certainly more than normal, for the same complaint. The symptoms were exactly what we see when someone's anti-virus software is giving a false positive. That is how I tried to "treat" it. When that didn't work, in my opinion, the next logical step was to look at the license state. "Knee jerk" reaction? I don't know, when you handle these things everyday (and I mean everyday....anyone who has heard from me on July 4th..or Christmas or Thanksgiving knows what I'm talking about) you see patterns with problems. And the quickest way to help someone is to try the option with the highest percentage chance of working. For instance, if someone has Norton anti-virus and all of a sudden their Commonwealth module disappears, 99 out of 100 times it is because Norton has quarantined it. Is it a "knee jerk" reaction to provide support along those lines or is it just the quickest way to get someone back in the game? Is it better to carry on a series of emails until your are 100% sure of the correct course of action (and to be candid, there is never a way to be 100% sure unless you're sitting in front of their computer) or to provide the quickest route for getting someone back on track?

Then, in the last day or two, I received word that a variation of the 2.12 patch had been uploaded by us in the last couple of weeks and this patch was causing the problem. I have no idea of why a new one was put up and it didn't occur to me to even ask.  My understanding is that the problem lies in the installer and has nothing to do with the DRM. Regardless of the why, it is a bummer and a new version of the patch will be up soon. The tickets that I have, I have marked so that as soon as I get word that the new version is released I can let you know. Heck, as I'm typing this it occurs to me that I have the older 2.12 patch download. If anyone wants to drop me a PM, I'd be happy to set up a Dropbox and give you the file.

Regarding resetting of licenses. I have never ever ever never ever ever seen someone ask or a reset/additional license and have them been told "no". It can take a day or two (longer if there's a holiday weekend involved) but they will always get you going again. Always.

Here's your problem:

QuoteThen, in the last day or two, I received word that a variation of the 2.12 patch had been uploaded by us in the last couple of weeks and this patch was causing the problem.

A "variation" of a patch becomes the next patch in line. Patch 2.12 becomes 2.13, etc. Why is this such a problem for your company?

You guys need to get your shit together here, and put out a new patch, under a new number, that fixes the problem.

If you have different files flying around, not compatible with each other, or the game system, AND named the same, then you have Harpoon 3, with Herman Hun driving the ship onto the rocks.