Psst. Elemental 2015

Started by Greybriar, July 25, 2014, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

From Brad Wardell's post on the Stardock forums:

"Before I tell them to set this up I wanted to make a post and gauge interest in this:

There's going to be a new fantasy strategy game from Stardock in the Elemental universe. It's NOT a sequel to Fallen Enchantress. 

I'm looking to ask the team to set up a founder's program for people who are interested in getting a sneak peak at what we're doing and getting early access to it this Fall. The founder's edition would be $20.

Here is, broadly, what the game is like:

1. Completely new art style
    2. Asymmetrical 4X (it's not you vs. other similar empires, it's you vs. a single bad guy with everyone else as pawns between the two of you and you both play by your own set of rules)
    3. No unit design and no tech tree, instead you gain access to things based on what you've built in your city
    4. Sovereign is not a unit in the game, you instead choose the spell books your sovereign has, their specialization and their ability and use that across the world
    5. Shards provide magic which is divided between mana, lore (spell research) and skill (for upgrading your sovereign's specialization tree)
    6. Much more quest focused (spells written by Cracked.com's Chris Bucholz, they're awesome)
    7. Champions acquired via completing quests
    8. Crafting (players find ingredients and recipes through the course of the game)
    9. Multiple continents, islands, ship travel
    10. Tactical battles heavily focused on what spells and abilities you have and how you use them, feels a bit like Hearthstone but the battles are still elemental style except with more units - instead of 9 ala LH you'd have up to 15)
    11. All units have special abilities
    12. Plot takes place centuries after the events of LH - suffice to say, bad things have happened
    13. Player *starts out* with the Forge of the Overlord - the player is very tough, has all the techs from LH from the start which is to say the bad guy is just that much tougher

Now, as you can see, because it's so different we're updating, enhancing LH on its own dev path with its own meaningful updates.

Anyway, who would be interested in joining a Founder's Program if we put it up in June?

UPDATE: The URL for the $20 early Founder's edition is live: https://store.stardock.com/cart/add/ESD-SDE-W062

UPDATE 2: The E2015 Founder's Vault is live: http://e2015.stardock.com/"

So if you have $20 that is burning a hole in your pocket, send it Stardock's way.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tpek

RooksBailey

Quote from: Greybriar on July 25, 2014, 05:02:42 PM
From Brad Wardell's post on the Stardock forums:

"Before I tell them to set this up I wanted to make a post and gauge interest in this:

There's going to be a new fantasy strategy game from Stardock in the Elemental universe. It's NOT a sequel to Fallen Enchantress. 

I'm looking to ask the team to set up a founder's program for people who are interested in getting a sneak peak at what we're doing and getting early access to it this Fall. The founder's edition would be $20.

Here is, broadly, what the game is like:

1. Completely new art style
    2. Asymmetrical 4X (it's not you vs. other similar empires, it's you vs. a single bad guy with everyone else as pawns between the two of you and you both play by your own set of rules)
    3. No unit design and no tech tree, instead you gain access to things based on what you've built in your city
    4. Sovereign is not a unit in the game, you instead choose the spell books your sovereign has, their specialization and their ability and use that across the world
    5. Shards provide magic which is divided between mana, lore (spell research) and skill (for upgrading your sovereign's specialization tree)
    6. Much more quest focused (spells written by Cracked.com's Chris Bucholz, they're awesome)
    7. Champions acquired via completing quests
    8. Crafting (players find ingredients and recipes through the course of the game)
    9. Multiple continents, islands, ship travel
    10. Tactical battles heavily focused on what spells and abilities you have and how you use them, feels a bit like Hearthstone but the battles are still elemental style except with more units - instead of 9 ala LH you'd have up to 15)
    11. All units have special abilities
    12. Plot takes place centuries after the events of LH - suffice to say, bad things have happened
    13. Player *starts out* with the Forge of the Overlord - the player is very tough, has all the techs from LH from the start which is to say the bad guy is just that much tougher

Now, as you can see, because it's so different we're updating, enhancing LH on its own dev path with its own meaningful updates.

Anyway, who would be interested in joining a Founder's Program if we put it up in June?

UPDATE: The URL for the $20 early Founder's edition is live: https://store.stardock.com/cart/add/ESD-SDE-W062

UPDATE 2: The E2015 Founder's Vault is live: http://e2015.stardock.com/"

So if you have $20 that is burning a hole in your pocket, send it Stardock's way.

Wow, I completely missed this.  With the release of the latest patch for LH, I was wondering what SD has been working on behind the scenes for the next installment.  This sounds very interesting.

BTW:  I have been playing Hearthstone and I have to say that Blizzard has done a great job with that game.  I can see why Wardell wants to incorporate the feeling of those magical battles. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway