Your Go-To WWI FlightSim of the moment

Started by sandman2575, August 07, 2014, 03:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

Really don't care the reason...when the dev calls that out, I'll go with a more optimized program.  I do suspect that the CFS3 engine can't handle it well.  DOes CFS3 use multi-cores?  Is there a memory limit in CFS3...IOW, can it take advantage of a 64b system?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: TacticalWargames on August 08, 2014, 01:42:46 AM
Quote from: RyanE on August 07, 2014, 07:37:22 PM
I was interested in WOFF until I saw the requirements and the laptop disclaimer around them.  ROF runs fairly well on my mid-level laptop at medium settings and looks great.  I see no point in buying a game that has such severe requirements.  That's including needing CFS3 to run.

Loads more going on at the same time than in ROF. Also may have something to do wih CFS3 aswell...

Yeah.  As I said, WOFF is a very CPU intensive game when you're flying campaign missions.  Because there are a lot of units and stuff going on across a very large stretch of front.  There is no little "player bubble" where stuff just spawns near you.  There are many flights going about their mission all over the place, along with ground troops/tanks (I couldn't find some of the screenshots I took of them awhile back - sorry).   Since WOFF is based on that old sim engine, it isn't multi-threaded so you don't want to run it on a slow processor, no matter how many cores it has, because it will only use the first one. 

If anyone picks it up, I suggest at least getting the AnKor's DirectX9 mod that adds more self-shadowing and helps off-load a bit of the CPU burden to your graphics card.  Also get ArisFuser's Cloud Mod, as it makes the clouds look better.  They're easy to install, and in the case of the Dx9 mod, it just drops into your main folder without even overwriting anything IIRC (and has a JSGME version too). 

I also use the the News Mod for more historical detailed additions to the daily Newspaper in the campaign.   These mods are hosted on the game's site:  http://www.overflandersfields.com/User.html

Nefaro

Also note that it requires a 64-bit OS due to the amount of memory it needs.

QuoteWOFF is designed for 64 bit memory access.  If you wish to try your WOFF on a 32 bit Operating System it may be possible, customers are running on this but we do not officially support it.

sandman2575

Gusington

That will be...epic. A while back I thought I saw a thread here about an actual Zeppelin sim, but I can't find it now. IIRC it was in development, not released. Don't know how interesting it was to pilot a Zeppelin but the idea on paper is intriguing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on August 08, 2014, 01:25:58 PM
Don't know how interesting it was to pilot a Zeppelin but the idea on paper is intriguing.

I expect it to be like watching hair grow out of your own ears.  But people want to see it.  :idiot2:

I'll be happy to be able to shoot at them.  O0

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on August 08, 2014, 01:25:58 PM
Don't know how interesting it was to pilot a Zeppelin but the idea on paper is intriguing.

probably nowhere near as interesting as shooting one down.   8)

edit -- ninja'd!

Gusington

Maybe a steampunk sort of.Zeppelin based craft that would include naval type guns would be more gooder. Like a naval sim, set in the air.

Too much?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

There was a Zeppelin company management sim from Microprose back in the earlies that was kinda fun.  Well, kinda fun for me as my chief goal was to cause as many catastrophic blimp fires in major cities as I could.  Burnt down Prague once...

Loved the gothic font and the sepia tone style.

Gusington

Holy crap, I vaguely remember that game too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Wow -- that is definitely old-school. 

GOG should nab this   ;)

Staggerwing

I have that game. It's basically Zeppelin Tycoon with no actual flight sim aspects.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys