Main Menu

Piling on Paradox

Started by Bismarck, February 02, 2012, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

Look, I like Paradox and their games. I'll wait patiently for patches; I've been doing that with almost every publisher for 30 years. However, things are getting screwy.

I read the SotS2 thread and what Paradox did was bad. Now, get this:

People who d/l the Vicky 2 expansion A House Divided are having problems like I did. We get a message saying we're missing a dll and another saying we should roll back our C+++ version.  Support gives us the final insult: "user error and turn off AV". I did this and no joy.

Finally, I uninstalled and re-installed the base Vicky 2 and patched up.  AHD then installed, although I had to ignore the C+++ message. It's one thing to have buggy code but an incomplete, misleading installer?  C'mon!!!

Before you ask, the 5 hours I spent installing prevented me from playing the game and giving first impressions.
Jim Cobb

Slick Wilhelm

Wow, that's not good. Sounds like you might have had a corrupt .dll file in your base Victoria II install tree, if the new DLC couldn't find it.

IMO, that Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error should never happen. At worse, they should give you an option to repair it.

Unfortunately, in the software biz it's usually(but not always) a fact that the people with the least knowledge of the software are the first point of contact for the customer(tech support line). They're usually just reading off a script or cue cards for common possible solutions.

son_of_montfort

While no longer Paradox, I have been unable to download from Gamersgate for the past two weeks or more. I've been in touch with support but, so far, no dice and I haven't heard from them in the past 3 days or so. I've asked for a refund on my Crusader Kings II pre-order, so I can get it on Steam or Amazon.com and not have to worry about the DL, but the support guy has been unwilling to comply.

I am super frustrated! I have about 40 or so titles on there and no way to access them!   >:(
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 02, 2012, 05:02:23 PM
While no longer Paradox, I have been unable to download from Gamersgate for the past two weeks or more. I've been in touch with support but, so far, no dice and I haven't heard from them in the past 3 days or so. I've asked for a refund on my Crusader Kings II pre-order, so I can get it on Steam or Amazon.com and not have to worry about the DL, but the support guy has been unwilling to comply.

I am super frustrated! I have about 40 or so titles on there and no way to access them!   >:(

Just curious, what anti virus do you use?  For the longest time I was able to download from GG, couple months back all of a sudden I couldn't any longer.  In order to get it working again, I had to go back into my Norton AV and mark the downloader as an accepted program.  After that, no issues.  No idea why it just started to happen, but after that I was fine.

jomni

While I am able to download from GG,  my downloads are painstakingly slow and it times out after a few minutes then starts again.  Takes days to download.   The last game I bought was Steel Armor took me two days.  Just happened in the past few months.

I swear not to buy from GG again.

Bismarck

I use Norman and SandboxIE. I've never had this much trouble.  I think Slick Wilhelm nailed my problem but other people on the Paradox forum did what I did with no success.
Jim Cobb

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 02, 2012, 07:09:16 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 02, 2012, 05:02:23 PM

Just curious, what anti virus do you use?  For the longest time I was able to download from GG, couple months back all of a sudden I couldn't any longer.  In order to get it working again, I had to go back into my Norton AV and mark the downloader as an accepted program.  After that, no issues.  No idea why it just started to happen, but after that I was fine.

I use Norton 360. Can you tell me exactly what you did to fix this?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on February 02, 2012, 07:45:48 PM
While I am able to download from GG,  my downloads are painstakingly slow and it times out after a few minutes then starts again.  Takes days to download.   The last game I bought was Steel Armor took me two days.  Just happened in the past few months.

I swear not to buy from GG again.

I've told people this many times - don't use Norton.  It's an annoying PoS.

But people don't like change.  :-\

spelk

I've had issues with Avira Anti-virus and Gamersgate's downloaders, basically I have to disable the Web Scanner to get any decent download rate. Otherwise it usually crawls at about 50k/s - I've not got a brilliant connection but with Avira's web scanner disabled, I get 250+k/s.

Bismarck

I don't think downloading was my problem.  I think it was a screwed up installer.
Jim Cobb

son_of_montfort

Quote from: spelk on February 03, 2012, 07:25:03 AM
I've had issues with Avira Anti-virus and Gamersgate's downloaders, basically I have to disable the Web Scanner to get any decent download rate. Otherwise it usually crawls at about 50k/s - I've not got a brilliant connection but with Avira's web scanner disabled, I get 250+k/s.

I'm 90% sure it is my Norton 360 Intrusion Protection program, which - despite my best efforts to disable it - appears to re-enable itself without my permission.

QuoteI don't think downloading was my problem.  I think it was a screwed up installer.

Was it a common problem? If it was a messed up installer, one would think that most users would have encountered it. I would report... but I'm afraid to purchase the expansion without being able to DL it!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

When i get home I will provide exact steps

Slick Wilhelm

That's just stupid on the part of the developers. I don't understand why some developers don't make their installers search for the path to the game that's already installed. Making the end user browse to the install home is a recipe for mistakes to happen.

Another stupid thing I've seen is when a game asks you where to install, and gives this as a default location:

C:\Program Files\ACME Software\Awesome Game

Because I don't want my games installed into C:\Program Files, I change it to say C:\ACME Software\Awesome Game.

So now, when it's done I'm expecting to find the game installed in C:\ACME Software\Awesome Game, right?

WRONG!

The idiot programmers have it append ACME Software\Awesome Game to whatever you changed Program Files to be.

So now, the game is installed into C:\ACME Software\Awesome Game\ACME Software\Awesome Game

I really hate it when that happens.   >:(

Bismarck

Whit I do there is click either on "browse" or "advanced" and change the path. I can think of only two times in 30 years an installer dign't give me a choice - even then I may have missed the option.  I wasn't always the super-geek I am now.  ;D
Jim Cobb