Main Menu

Piling on Paradox

Started by Bismarck, February 02, 2012, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 03, 2012, 11:46:31 AM
Quote from: spelk on February 03, 2012, 07:25:03 AM
I've had issues with Avira Anti-virus and Gamersgate's downloaders, basically I have to disable the Web Scanner to get any decent download rate. Otherwise it usually crawls at about 50k/s - I've not got a brilliant connection but with Avira's web scanner disabled, I get 250+k/s.

I'm 90% sure it is my Norton 360 Intrusion Protection program, which - despite my best efforts to disable it - appears to re-enable itself without my permission.

QuoteI don't think downloading was my problem.  I think it was a screwed up installer.

Was it a common problem? If it was a messed up installer, one would think that most users would have encountered it. I would report... but I'm afraid to purchase the expansion without being able to DL it!

SOM, I agree, believe it is Norton since same thing happened to me.  It was starnge too since I even disabled my AV and the issue still persisted.  However, I then added the game installer from GG to the exclusion list for auto protect/sonar (under settings) and it all worked fine after that.  So in the end, either something changed about Norton back in November when I saw this or GG changed theire installer programs.  Either way I am fine now after this.

Bismarck

I just d/l'd the press version of CK 2.  Same C+++ nonsense and now an unhandled exception. I had the AV off and used the default path. What nonsense!!
Jim Cobb

Slick Wilhelm

Did you get an option to do anything with the C++ redistributable?

If you reboot the PC, do you still get an unhandled exception when trying to launch CK2?

If so, can you post a pic of what you get?

Bismarck

Tried all that. No joy. Pics attached
Jim Cobb

Slick Wilhelm

What file is it looking for? If you click the "Details" button, you should get a path to some file the game can't find.

Bismarck

I checked and got a long list of geek speak. I got the Steam per-order on my own dime. I've already spent too much time on this rubbish. All other games on GG install just fine. It's the new installer and Patchadox can fix it.  Too new a version of C+++; they can kiss my rosy red bum.
Jim Cobb

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bismarck on February 07, 2012, 05:34:31 PM
I checked and got a long list of geek speak. I got the Steam per-order on my own dime. I've already spent too much time on this rubbish. All other games on GG install just fine. It's the new installer and Patchadox can fix it.  Too new a version of C+++; they can kiss my rosy red bum.

Jim, I finally got the downloader to sort of work and DL'ed A House Divided. I did not have this problem, and I have the newest C++ AFAIK. Do you have any idea what the root cause of this problem might be? Are you on Windows 7? Did you make sure to run as Administrator?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bismarck

I got AHD installed last week; we're talking CK 2/ Windows XP SP2 and administrator.
Jim Cobb

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bismarck on February 07, 2012, 10:44:50 PM
I got AHD installed last week; we're talking CK 2/ Windows XP SP2 and administrator.

Different bug with the installer? I understood your post to say it was the same bug.

Hmm... and it has to do with C++? My install was smooth as silk (once I got the file downloaded).

I've had unhandled exceptions before with running games. Go to the CKII directory and see if there are two .exe files. Like a CK2game and a CK2_RD. Use the one that is NOT the CK2game one. See if that helps.

I'm running the Steam attached beta/RC version. Through forces unseen they messed with which one is the best .exe to get the game to work (and it won't launch through Steam anymore).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bismarck

That did it. Thanks.

OJ, this is weird. The other exe worked to when launched from the directory.  What is screwed up is the shortcut created by the installers and the launch directly from the installer.
Jim Cobb

Bismarck

They fixed the installer. I knew that was the problem. Now I can put it on the drive I wanted.
Jim Cobb

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bismarck on February 08, 2012, 09:50:37 AM
That did it. Thanks.

OJ, this is weird. The other exe worked to when launched from the directory.  What is screwed up is the shortcut created by the installers and the launch directly from the installer.

Yeah, the shortcut went to the wrong one for me as well. I had to create my own shortcut to the other .exe. IIRC the .exe that brought up the "splash screen" before running the game was the wonky one.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert