Il2 Battle of Stalingrad on Steam

Started by sandman2575, August 15, 2014, 12:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Think I found one of my answers in an official FAQ about internet connection...

"Internet Connection Required for Registration, Career Mode, Multiplayer and Statistics Tracking. 256 Kb/s for single-player and 1 Mb/s for multiplayer"

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 16, 2014, 09:24:56 AM

"Internet Connection Required for Registration, Career Mode, Multiplayer and Statistics Tracking. 256 Kb/s for single-player and 1 Mb/s for multiplayer"

How old is that information?  I didn't even think they were planning a 'Career Mode' as of this year. 

Or perhaps it will just be a series of canned missions called that?

JudgeDredd

CLoD was going to have a career (yeah - I know it had something!...but I thought they meant a proper one)
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on August 16, 2014, 09:54:09 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 16, 2014, 09:24:56 AM

How old is that information?  I didn't even think they were planning a 'Career Mode' as of this year. 

Or perhaps it will just be a series of canned missions called that?

No idea...it was a sticky in the official forums...just assumed it was correct info, but maybe it is outdated....not sure.

SirAndrewD

No career mode on this will make it a no buy for me. 

I'm sorta tired of all these flight sims with beautiful graphics and fantastic engines, but no attempt at an immersive dynamic campaign.

Oh for the days when developers actually put effort into the career side of the sim.  The old Dynamix sims and games like Pacific and European Air War don't seem to have many challengers in the modern era.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 16, 2014, 11:40:26 AM

I'm sorta tired of all these flight sims with beautiful graphics and fantastic engines, but no attempt at an immersive dynamic campaign.

Oh for the days when developers actually put effort into the career side of the sim.  The old Dynamix sims and games like Pacific and European Air War don't seem to have many challengers in the modern era.
Amen brother
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

I found a little bit of info about the campaign that's attached in a recent dev diary. 

Looks like it'll be a series of canned missions, telling the story of the Battle of Stalingrad over six chapters.  Supposedly cinematics and voice acting will be included. 

Not what I was hoping for, but pretty much what I've come to expect from modern sims. 

You can read the dev diary discussing the campaign here: http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/7631-developer-diary-part-71/
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Staggerwing

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 16, 2014, 11:40:26 AM

I played the Hel out of those Dynamix Aces sims back in the 90's. I distinctly recall flying missions and then using the 'replay' feature to observe planes from all angles as well as watch bomb and gun hits frame by frame. Great fun!

If someone updated the graphics a little and sold them for under $10 on GOG I'd be all over them.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I'm not in for another soulless game. CLoD was some canned missions to...and broken they were. I've had my fill.

Any flight sim dev that wants to through a dynamic campaign into the mix (or even a semi dynamic) then I'll pass my money on. Until then, I'll keep it.
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have to wonder if they're regretting putting the game up on Steam.  They're getting absolutely ripped apart in the forums despite Jason's feverish attempts to lock or delete any derogatory threads.

Seems a lot of people are mistakenly thinking it's the same dev team that made CLOD and they're understandably gun-shy.  Others are coming in from the War Thunder camp and are horrified at the base price and even more-so when they see the $20/plane cost for the La-5 and the FW-190.  They see this as gouging for DLC that they think should be in the base game and/or pay2win for premium planes.  The dev team have been trying to explain that this game is not a War Thunder MMO title and that there aren't going to be tiered MP battles and stats tracking, but the community's having none of it.

JudgeDredd

I'm confused. I thought they were the same dev team. From what I recall, CLoD was dropped with no more patches, left in a pretty bad state and the excuse was, they needed to move on and get working on BoS...so is that not the case?
Alba gu' brath

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nope.  The CLOD team was dissolved and some moved over to work on DCS stuff while others were hired by 777 Studios, the Rise of Flight guys.  777 Studios are the ones making BOS.  I think they were originally brought in to work on the planned CLOD sequel, Battle for Moscow but when that fell through, they may have got the rights to the IL2 brand name and decided to go ahead with a new title.  (that's probably all wrong as I'm going from hazy memory of what I gleaned from various forums in the lulls between flame wars.  I could go and verify it or something, but I'm lazy and whatnot.)

Grim.Reaper

I have to admit, I am interested in purchasing, but I fear the controls will be too complex for me.  Since my original post, I do see they have a bunch of realism options but reading some forums still appeared novices had a tough time controlling the aircraft.  If I was confident I wouldn't be frustrated by the controls and I don't have to worry about all the little things, likely would have jumped in by now.

At this point, I am treating this game as being different from CLOD and any other sim, just trying to base my decision based on it alone.  I have come to expect that there aren't many (if any) sims nowadays that has a fully dynamic campaign and that is just something I have to live with.

One question, besides the quick mission builder, is their a full blown mission builder where modders can create and share missions?  Will there be canned single missions alongside the campaign?

Silent Disapproval Robot

They haven't yet released the full mission builder but have said that it may well be available come September.  It's basically the same one as in ROF so it's a bit of a beast to learn. 

There were some canned missions in the early stages of the pre-release but they pulled them all except for one in favour of the quick mission builder.   

The guys who host the SYNDICATE server have said they've already got a bunch of missions pre-designed and are just waiting for the release of the FMB so one can assume the community will be churning out missions.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 16, 2014, 03:51:20 PM
They haven't yet released the full mission builder but have said that it may well be available come September.  It's basically the same one as in ROF so it's a bit of a beast to learn. 

There were some canned missions in the early stages of the pre-release but they pulled them all except for one in favour of the quick mission builder.   

The guys who host the SYNDICATE server have said they've already got a bunch of missions pre-designed and are just waiting for the release of the FMB so one can assume the community will be churning out missions.

Thanks, sounds promising....