Main Menu

Started by eyebiter, September 18, 2014, 06:40:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

I don't think there's a mystery to it's success:

1. The game worked really well on release and was playable. 

2. It's fun to play. The original was fun too. They kept everything good that was in the original and improved it, not swept it away because of some 'new vision of the game'.

3. It has a savegame Delete Button.

steve58

Quote from: bbmike on September 18, 2014, 08:01:32 PM
Quote from: jomni on September 18, 2014, 07:41:47 PM
...and  i don't play it. It just sits in my hard drive.  Wonder how many of the 1000000 is like me.

Add me to that list.

Me as well.  I fire it up every so often, but never get very far.  Maybe its time for me to go through UCG's CK2 AAR.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

sandman2575

Quote from: Ian C on September 19, 2014, 05:15:57 AM
I don't think there's a mystery to it's success:

1. The game worked really well on release and was playable. 

2. It's fun to play. The original was fun too. They kept everything good that was in the original and improved it, not swept it away because of some 'new vision of the game'.

3. It has a savegame Delete Button.

Add to that the fact that CKII is visually gorgeous, even more than EUIV. It's just a pleasure to look at the different map modes with all the different crests of kingdoms, duchies, etc. And the UI is pretty darn great when you consider how complex the game is from an organizational standpoint (dynasty lineages, succession lines, 'de jure' territories, and so on).

Really I can't praise CKII enough -- it's a masterpiece.

But I do get why some folks have trouble getting into it. There's an element of "OK, now what?" with all Pdox games I think, given how open-ended they are. There can be a lot of waiting around for something to happen.

Staggerwing

How do you guys play CKII? Do you sit down for 15 minutes here and there, pausing (or not, letting it run)? Do you stay in front of your comps for 4-5 hours at a time 2-3 times a week?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

Quote from: Staggerwing on September 19, 2014, 11:34:58 AM
How do you guys play CKII? Do you sit down for 15 minutes here and there, pausing (or not, letting it run)? Do you stay in front of your comps for 4-5 hours at a time 2-3 times a week?

youve got to give it a decent run otherwise theres no immerssion - like reading a book for an hour before bed or for 5 mins a time while sat on the toilet - bed time reading gives the book a better chance to grab you

sandman2575

I don't think CKII can be very satisfying if you're only dipping into it for 15-20 minutes every few days.  Esp. if you do an early start, like 11th century (or, really hardcore, 9th century), the game evolves over a long span, and not much is going to happen in 15 minutes of real-time play. When I sit down with it I probably play for about 2 hours or so -- it definitely draws me in, and as you're waiting for one of your schemes to pan out, it very much has that "one more turn" feel (it's not TBS, but you know what I mean)...

RooksBailey

As the others have said, you can't really get into a game like Ck2 with a short commitment.  I generally play for an hour at a time.  It takes the game some time to start generating all the fascinating permutations that occur when royal families start bumping into each other.  The key to CK2 is to understand that it runs like a real sim at times in that the player doesn't always have something to do.  Instead, you often find yourself just sitting back and watching history unfold one small event at a time.  The fun comes in later - when you get to see how all those small pebbles eventually trigger an avalanche that sweeps the player along with it.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Toonces

Broken record here, but I also play 1-2 hours at a time. 

And I wasn't kidding.  This is one of those games where drinking while you're playing enhances the experience.  I like to stay thematic: Scotch when playing Scotland, Jamesons for Ireland, beer for Germany (HRE), wine for Spain, and so on.    O:-)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Moreb

Never really was captivated by CKII. Maybe it's the lack of empathy for the virtual characters, but I just never cared enough.

It sits gathering dust with about 40% of my purchases.
When dongles fly? - mirth

sandman2575

I'm feeling an urge to fire up a CK2 Scottish campaign in honor of all those Scots who voted "Yes" on the referendum and were disappointed today...  Cue obligatory Braveheart "They can take our land, but they can never take our Freedom!!!" clip here.

Do you have a single-malt of choice, Toonces?  Too many good ones to choose from, although I'm quite keen on Springbank at the moment.  Check it out if you haven't before, great stuff.

Toonces

I'm pretty flexible when it comes to Scotch.

I had one called Speyburn that I liked a lot. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Wolfe1759

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 08:39:54 PM
Broken record here, but I also play 1-2 hours at a time. 

And I wasn't kidding.  This is one of those games where drinking while you're playing enhances the experience.  I like to stay thematic: Scotch when playing Scotland, Jamesons for Ireland, beer for Germany (HRE), wine for Spain, and so on.    O:-)

Cunning plan, whiskey DLC  could be the way to go though I'd suggest Bushmills (White, Black or preferably Green) for Ireland  :)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Toonces

Wolfe1759

Last man standing slumped snoring over his keyboard  :)

P.S. Toonces and Sandman if you are Laphroigh types and want more peat have a look at The Peat Monster ("says what it does on the tin" to quote an ad) though to be honest I'm more of a lowland malt type myself when it come to whisky rather than whiskey.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

sandman2575

Quote from: Toonces on September 19, 2014, 08:55:46 PM
I'm pretty flexible when it comes to Scotch.

A policy I wholeheartedly endorse.  O0