Sid Meyer's Beyond Earth...is no-one playing?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 21, 2014, 01:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelgrave

Yeah, it seems like you will have a lot of options in how your society evolves and in victory conditions. It seems less cookie-cutter in many ways....although I've always enjoyed the Civ cookies anyway   :coolsmiley:

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 21, 2014, 09:18:27 AM
so is it not Alpha Centauri redux?

Don't know for sure.... I hope not as I hated Alpha Centauri... another reason I almost skipped this.

Jarhead0331

What I want to see is a Civ game that lets you colonize multiple worlds. Now THAT would be Civ in space.  This is just Civ on the same planet with different color terrain.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 21, 2014, 09:23:39 AM
This is just Civ on the same planet with different color terrain.

I think that's my perception as well, until proven otherwise.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on October 21, 2014, 09:21:01 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 21, 2014, 09:18:27 AM
so is it not Alpha Centauri redux?

Don't know for sure.... I hope not as I hated Alpha Centauri... another reason I almost skipped this.

i blasted through it on release and finished it with a shrug - i was very surprised to find out its held aloft by quite a few as Civs greatest moment and its the pinnacle of TBS games

Gusington

There's no colonizing multiple worlds here? That is kinda crappy. They could have put in an additional strategic overlay like from Star Wars - Empire at War to make it possible, that would work.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2014, 11:29:11 AM
There's no colonizing multiple worlds here? That is kinda crappy. They could have put in an additional strategic overlay like from Star Wars - Empire at War to make it possible, that would work.
I would love to see some combination of CIV and Emperor of the Fading Suns.  Loved that game (the promise of it), but it was beyond buggy.

I might pick up BE after a price drop but I'm just not a fan of the CIV style of combat.  I would rather sink my money into Pandora DLCs or whatever they are working on, just as I prefer Xenonauts to the remade X-Coms.  I wish those projects had the equivalent Firaxis budgets. 

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 21, 2014, 12:03:32 PM
I would love to see some combination of CIV and Emperor of the Fading Suns.  Loved that game (the promise of it), but it was beyond buggy.

That's ONE HECK of a reference right there. Based on one of my favourite pen & paper RPGs ever, to top it off.

I'm afraid that nobody is interested in doing games like that any more.

For those who don't remember or didn't have the chance to play it back in the day, this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPWFZw7Yec

does a good job discussing what made it great, bugs and all.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 21, 2014, 06:06:00 PM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 21, 2014, 12:03:32 PM

That's ONE HECK of a reference right there. Based on one of my favourite pen & paper RPGs ever, to top it off.

I'm afraid that nobody is interested in doing games like that any more.

For those who don't remember or didn't have the chance to play it back in the day, this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPWFZw7Yec

does a good job discussing what made it great, bugs and all.
Thanks for the link, brings back some memories.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the PC indie resurgence will deliver some exceptional gaming experiences. 

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 21, 2014, 08:08:16 PM
Thanks for the link, brings back some memories.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the PC indie resurgence will deliver some exceptional gaming experiences.

No worries - to be honest, I am not comfortable writing down fully your forum handle - DR :)

There's some hope on that. But I do see EFS and Fading Suns to be a rather obscure footnote in the history of both strategy and P&P role-playing games. Even less obscure stuff like Traveller (and the MegaTraveller RPGs, do you remember those?) haven't received much attention or a decent treatment - there's some elements of Traveller (and Starflight) in the Post-Virus setting in StarSector (formerly Starfarer), and there's also some dashes of the MegaTraveller gameplay in upcoming indie titles like The Mandate.

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 21, 2014, 09:09:58 PM

No worries - to be honest, I am not comfortable writing down fully your forum handle - DR :)

There's some hope on that. But I do see EFS and Fading Suns to be a rather obscure footnote in the history of both strategy and P&P role-playing games. Even less obscure stuff like Traveller (and the MegaTraveller RPGs, do you remember those?) haven't received much attention or a decent treatment - there's some elements of Traveller (and Starflight) in the Post-Virus setting in StarSector (formerly Starfarer), and there's also some dashes of the MegaTraveller gameplay in upcoming indie titles like The Mandate.
Don't recall Traveller, but how I loved Starflight!  Good times finding a shield for my away rover and capturing a Brass Harpooner!  I will keep my eyes on StarSector and The Mandate.   Interesting times we live in:  on one hand you have Oculus Rift and the transformations it promises, on the other, indie sandboxes.  If only I had as much free time now as when I was a youngster!

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 21, 2014, 09:29:40 PM
Don't recall Traveller, but how I loved Starflight!  Good times finding a shield for my away rover and capturing a Brass Harpooner!  I will keep my eyes on StarSector and The Mandate.   Interesting times we live in:  on one hand you have Oculus Rift and the transformations it promises, on the other, indie sandboxes.  If only I had as much free time now as when I was a youngster!

Funny thing is that there are a few indie sandbox projects that are betting a lot on Oculus. We might - at some point in the future - be able to eat the proverbial cake and have it :)

That's one of the big ironies of adulthood, DR. Sometimes, you eventually get the $$$ to afford most of the entertainment your heart desires, but earning that $$$ leaves you with no time to enjoy those possibilities of entertainment. I'm looking forward to a comfortable retirement, fingers crossed that then when I have both the $$$ and the time, I will also have the physical capability! Argh!

Jarhead0331

Speaking of starsector, did you notice that version 0.65 was FINALLY released. Only took 9 months to get an update. Development of this game is brutally slow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

I owned two different versions of MegaTraveller, IIRC.  A boxed one and a later softback. 

The boxed version was awesome.  Loved the starmap in that thing, it was nerdtastic.

Twilight:2000 was also a lesser known favorite.  I picked up a later big revision in softback form, and I thought they had streamlined some stuff that was needed (1-to-1 bullet ratio, yay!) but it also changed some things that I liked since the original boxed version (tank penetration damage with a list of equipment/crew that are possibly hit depending on angle).  The few gaming sessions I had running the original were quite enjoyable all around and most everyone got into the post-WW3-apoc setting very easily.  I think someone still publishes a version but I don't really P&P RPG anymore (never did a whole lot anyway).

BanzaiCat

A Civ mod in the Firefly 'verse would be awesome. Say, pre-Firefly, leaving the "earth that was" and colonizing the star system they eventually settled in. Multiple planets and moons, lots of possibilities.

Reavers could be Barbarians!

EDIT:
Apparently, someone else already thought of this. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/882961586917409487/