Sid Meyer's Beyond Earth...is no-one playing?

Started by JudgeDredd, October 21, 2014, 01:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2014, 04:15:36 AM
Speaking of starsector, did you notice that version 0.65 was FINALLY released. Only took 9 months to get an update. Development of this game is brutally slow.

Yes, I played it a bit last night hence it was fresh in my memory :)

That's the thing with one-man projects, they don't really have deadlines :) And there's a huge single point of failure there: if the only person doing the development has a very demanding day job that only allows for "short bursts" of activity, or his or her life gets complicated for whatever reason, it can't be very fast.

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Nefaro on October 22, 2014, 05:50:10 AM
I owned two different versions of MegaTraveller, IIRC.  A boxed one and a later softback. 

The boxed version was awesome.  Loved the starmap in that thing, it was nerdtastic.

Twilight:2000 was also a lesser known favorite.  I picked up a later big revision in softback form, and I thought they had streamlined some stuff that was needed (1-to-1 bullet ratio, yay!) but it also changed some things that I liked since the original boxed version (tank penetration damage with a list of equipment/crew that are possibly hit depending on angle).  The few gaming sessions I had running the original were quite enjoyable all around and most everyone got into the post-WW3-apoc setting very easily.  I think someone still publishes a version but I don't really P&P RPG anymore (never did a whole lot anyway).

Ah, that boxed version of MegaTraveller was awesome. I saw it in a local bookshop in Barcelona last June while visiting the family, and they were asking for it a King's ransom. I haven't been playing P&P for like 14 or 13 years... so that wouldn't have been a rational purchase, would it? I got a lot of the TLI reboot on e-book format back in the day, when I dreamt of one day doing a crossover with Star Control 2 mechanics in the Traveller universe. Didn't happen  :)

Never got into Twilight 2000 - it is indeed a very suggesting setting. What I got into was its Space Opera follow-up, 2300AD and the later conversion into T20, 2320AD. Great setting, by the way. I have never seen any of the fresh themes and ideas there picked up on a computer game.

Barthheart

Back on track, I just read this over at CivFanatics:

QuoteIt was revealed on today's Reddit AMA with Beyond Earth co-lead designers Will Miller & Dave McDonough that there will be a turn-locked demo available to play on release day (October 24). Thus far there are no details as to how many turns you will be able to play, but one indicator might be the Civ5 demo, which allows users to play for 100 turns.

So it looks like you fence sitter can give the game a try before you buy.  O0

Steelgrave

It's also available for pre-loading as of now.

steve58

Quote from: Barthheart on October 22, 2014, 07:43:40 AM
Back on track, I just read this over at CivFanatics:

QuoteIt was revealed on today's Reddit AMA with Beyond Earth co-lead designers Will Miller & Dave McDonough that there will be a turn-locked demo available to play on release day (October 24). Thus far there are no details as to how many turns you will be able to play, but one indicator might be the Civ5 demo, which allows users to play for 100 turns.

So it looks like you fence sitter can give the game a try before you buy.  O0

Excellent.  Hopefully the demo can hold me over until I can afford to pick it up....
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

undercovergeek

yeah, good plan, i think ill give the demo a bash

BanzaiCat

Nefaro

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 22, 2014, 06:35:41 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 22, 2014, 04:15:36 AM
Speaking of starsector, did you notice that version 0.65 was FINALLY released. Only took 9 months to get an update. Development of this game is brutally slow.

Yes, I played it a bit last night hence it was fresh in my memory :)

That's the thing with one-man projects, they don't really have deadlines :) And there's a huge single point of failure there: if the only person doing the development has a very demanding day job that only allows for "short bursts" of activity, or his or her life gets complicated for whatever reason, it can't be very fast.

The development of that game slowed down so much, I only check the patch notes once every 6 to 9 months.   :-\  Will be great if it ever gets feature complete and polished up.

vyshka

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 21, 2014, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 21, 2014, 09:09:58 PM
Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on October 21, 2014, 08:08:16 PM
Thanks for the link, brings back some memories.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the PC indie resurgence will deliver some exceptional gaming experiences.

No worries - to be honest, I am not comfortable writing down fully your forum handle - DR :)

There's some hope on that. But I do see EFS and Fading Suns to be a rather obscure footnote in the history of both strategy and P&P role-playing games. Even less obscure stuff like Traveller (and the MegaTraveller RPGs, do you remember those?) haven't received much attention or a decent treatment - there's some elements of Traveller (and Starflight) in the Post-Virus setting in StarSector (formerly Starfarer), and there's also some dashes of the MegaTraveller gameplay in upcoming indie titles like The Mandate.
Don't recall Traveller, but how I loved Starflight!  Good times finding a shield for my away rover and capturing a Brass Harpooner!  I will keep my eyes on StarSector and The Mandate.   Interesting times we live in:  on one hand you have Oculus Rift and the transformations it promises, on the other, indie sandboxes.  If only I had as much free time now as when I was a youngster!

I would love to see Starflight revived. There are many awesome things about it, but probably my favorite is the fact that they programmed it in Forth. Hi, my name is Jerry and I'm a geek.

On the fence at the moment, but I imagine I will break down Friday and buy BE, because I have no willpower.

BanzaiCat

Wow, Starflight...I played that on my Sega Genesis. I know it came out before that but, damn.

bbmike

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on October 21, 2014, 06:06:00 PM
That's ONE HECK of a reference right there. Based on one of my favourite pen & paper RPGs ever, to top it off.
I'm afraid that nobody is interested in doing games like that any more.
For those who don't remember or didn't have the chance to play it back in the day, this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPWFZw7Yec
does a good job discussing what made it great, bugs and all.

Thanks for the video link. If they ever reboot Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure that dude must play Ted.
I loved Starflight and Starflight 2 (didn't finish that one)! And I must play Fading Suns one day.

I also never played Starflight The Lost Colony but probably should try it too.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: bbmike on October 22, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
Thanks for the video link. If they ever reboot Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure that dude must play Ted.

LOL that was funny!

But I'm afraid that any such remake will feature Colin Farrell and Shia LaBeouf, which would be a Total Bummer.

JudgeDredd

Actually Shia LaBeof's character in Fury was pretty good.
Alba gu' brath