The Uber Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon Thread!

Started by Lord Zimoa, November 06, 2014, 11:28:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Quotenot as exciting as an RTS

:idiot2:

Armchair General review... :uglystupid2:
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

Man, Jim Cobb (of all people) must have been on some severe allergy medicine when he wrote that review. Dystopian =/= bizarre.  ::) :P

"Defeat in a mission makes the player re-start the campaign from the beginning." -- not at all, just replay the mission like any other PG. Restarting the whole campaign would be indeed ironman hardcore but ridiculous.

The not as exciting quote: "No turn-based game can create the excitement of good RTS games like Relic's Warhammer 40,000 series." He still heavily recommends the game. But Jim of all people? Seriously, no one loves the Relic/THQ Dawn of War series more than I (except maybe hardcore modders), but even with the problems in the game (which he barely mentions) a Panzer General game, or any other TBS, is still exciting for those of us who like such things.

I feel like he must have been trying to say that obviously there's less stuff moving around on screen at any given moment. Excitement in a physics or chemistry sense. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

It doesn't matter who is writing a review for AG, or on what game, these snippets called reviews are never a good reason to buy a game...or to not buy a game.  :crazy2:
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Cyrano

I obviously disagree with Jim's review and regard for the game, but that's courses for horses...

This, however, is something different:

"No gamer can do much wrong by getting this game. In fact, they will be harming themselves if they don't get it."

The first sentence is merely on odd construction.  That second sentence is so weird that it puts one in mind of the words given to hostages to read when made the subject of videos for their captors.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

amandachen