Galactic Inheritors - Yet Another SF 4X Game. But Wait.....

Started by tgb, February 10, 2015, 06:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

No tactical combat?  I'll have to wait then before jumping in.  I want to see how combat plays out from an emperor's point of view. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

I've been following the steam forums for this game, and I must say I'm really surprised by some of the comments coming from the developer. The design philosophy seems really disjointed, some design decisions were guided by a macro philosophy while others seem to be guided by the micro. Also, so many things that you find in traditional 4x games are being left out and Chris openly states that the omissions are on purpose design decisions. No tactical combat. No combat options. No troops. No race customization. No leaders or special characters. The list just goes on. Its hard to believe this is a game from the same guy that made CKII and HOI3.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Yeah I've been following the discussions on the Steam forums as well and I'm so tempted to get the game but holding back.  I agree with your assessment in that I don't think these guys know what kind of game they're making.  Either that or he's not marketing and communicating clearly to the community what this game is supposed to be. 

From the let's play videos that are out there it just seems like a game where you build stuff and just hang out. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on February 12, 2015, 06:26:20 PM
Yeah I've been following the discussions on the Steam forums as well and I'm so tempted to get the game but holding back.  I agree with your assessment in that I don't think these guys know what kind of game they're making.  Either that or he's not marketing and communicating clearly to the community what this game is supposed to be. 

From the let's play videos that are out there it just seems like a game where you build stuff and just hang out.

That's one other thing I wanted to mention. There have also been a few posts by the developer where he states that one of the reasons they are doing early access is because they are not sure what direction they want to take so they are looking for player feedback. Its one thing to look for player feedback in order to improve, but to look for feedback in order to figure out what it is you want to make? That seems like a recipe for disaster to me.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Dread Rlyeh

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2015, 05:30:31 PM...
No tactical combat. No combat options. No troops. No race customization. No leaders or special characters. The list just goes on. Its hard to believe this is a game from the same guy that made CKII and HOI3.
Frankly, this sounds terrible, and like some onion parody of the "next big thing" in 4x.  Lets strip away everything that gives it flavor, and focus on the um... starmap?  I can only speculate, but it seems like a project that was (is?) about to go belly-up, and they just went for early access as a hail mary.  I find it difficult to believe that this was how they laid it out on the whiteboard.  Imagine trying to pitch this to the average 4x gamer, say nothing about a grog.   /critic_voice "It Stinks!"

solops

Got it and played 40 minutes. Skipped the tutorial but had no trouble playing. I'll have to go back and do the tutorial, though, because documentation is thin right now and I am hoping some for some explanations. The UI is easier than some finished games, but still needs work. In-game data is lacking. There is still a lot of work to do, but the game functions. I did not get far enough to check it out thoroughly, but it looks like it MIGHT have some legs. It all depends on what the developers do now. So far, they have a decent framework, but there is a lot left to do. They seem to be well aware of some of their shortcomings.

I will add this caveat, while I might miss tactical combat, I can enjoy a game without it. I loved the original Reach for the Stars! on an Apple IIe. RFTS had neither tactical combat or ground troops and it was still a blast to play. For some reason I hated the Windows re-make that came out later. Anyway, this game is very, very reminiscent of the original RFTS. It might be quite good.

I am sitting here looking at shortcuts for Galactic Inheritors, SotS-I, SotS-2, AI War, X3, Star Ruler 2, SoaSE Rebellion, Horizon, Distant Worlds Universe, MOO3 and Gratuitous Space Battles 2 wondering what to play. A dozen others are on my backup storage drive.  If I could just get the right stuff squeezed out of a couple of them and combine it....

Meantime I guess I'll go back and play TWR-2 or Victoria 2 or Darkest Hour or TOAW III or WWIIe or Command or Flashpoint Red Storm or...jeeze...to heck with it. This is absurd! I am retired and I don't have enough time to PLAY! Think I'll read a book or go hunting.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

jomni

Quote from: bbmike on February 10, 2015, 11:19:37 AM
I still wonder why we are flooded with so many space and fantasy turn-based 4x games but no one wants to take a crack at a historical, Civilization-type one? Does Sid have ways of making his competition disappear?  :D

Because in space, there are no rivet counting grognards and Glantz scholars.

W8taminute

Thanks for sharing your experience with us solops.  One of the video reviews I saw on Steam mentioned many of the points you bring up.  I'm still keeping my eye on this one but will wait to see if the game develops a bit further than it's current state.

solops

The first patch to the beta is up and the notes look promising with regards to the UI and in-game documentation. Won't be able to try it for a day, packing to hunt hoggies.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

kassdhal

My experience with this game has been double. The retro graphics made me hesitant at first but after playing for 50/60 turns it became really engaging and addictive with interesting mechanics especially on the media and the levelling of the shipyards... I ended up playing for almost the whole night. The dev need to improve in game feedback and the UI but from their post it looks like that's indeed their priority. Frankly, as a bi fan of Master of Orion, I like it a lot

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

republic

I really like the idea of the military industrial complex.  Thats actually one of my 'perfect game' components.  The defense industry defines so much of our military capability, it seems silly not to include it.  I imagine in the future when corporations have more money than entire planets, it would be even more so.

"Due to a political connection all future designs are made with quantum turbine engines which provide great speed and power but drastically increased fuel usage....now go fight a war with these limitations."

To me that would be the next step on the procedural generation of the universe.

Martok

I'm wary of this one.  Jarhead's already enumerated pretty well as to why. 

It does appear to have some interesting concepts, but it lacks so many other features (that I feel are and/or have become) central to the 4x genre that I'm automatically cautious at this point.  It does still look interesting, but I'll be holding back for now. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces