Screenshots for upcoming Scourge of War - Waterloo game

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 10, 2015, 03:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: panzerde on January 11, 2015, 11:47:52 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 11, 2015, 02:09:49 AM
My only disappointment about the game is the fact they have now abandoned the American Civil War...hoping at some point they return to it...would be nice if they could keep both series going. 

On their forums the devs have made several statements that they've not abandoned ACW and will be returning to it. They just don't have a dev team large enough to be turning out two games at once. They've also released a few free battles like Lynchburg that can be downloaded from their site.

Taking a quick look at my game, in addition to the purchased modules of Gettysburg, Antietam (which includes South Mountain), Pipe Creek, Chancellorsville and Brandy Station, I have:

• Lynchburg
  • Prairie Creek
  • Pea Ridge
  • Secessionville
  • Red River Campaign (four battles)

So, while I'd certainly love to see Shiloh, Chickamauga, and other battles, I certainly have enough stuff to keep me occupied for awhile. TBH, I've yet to touch Pipe Creek or Brandy Station, let alone most of the free stuff Norbsoft released.

Releasing Waterloo this year is mainly being driven by the 200th anniversary of the battle. Like the raft of WWI games we saw last August, NSD needs to get this out while there's a window of interest.

My use of abandoned probably a little too strong, but "on break" at least for the foreseeable future.....

Glad you mentioned those other free battles released, never saw them in their mod sections until you mentioned them (except Lynchburg, I knew about that one).

fabius

I tried the Demo for Gettysburg and just couldn't get past the UI and controls.

But will most likely work through that to get into Waterloo. I'm very pleased that they're doing it because I couldn't get into HistWar either.

Son down the line, after Waterloo I'll know they game and likely pick up an ACW title.

panzerde

Quote from: fabius on January 11, 2015, 04:26:11 PM
I tried the Demo for Gettysburg and just couldn't get past the UI and controls.

But will most likely work through that to get into Waterloo. I'm very pleased that they're doing it because I couldn't get into HistWar either.

Son down the line, after Waterloo I'll know they game and likely pick up an ACW title.

Keep in mind that SOW is a very different sort of game. Its focused on 18th century command. As such, unlike pretty much any other period game, your troops and commanders do not always do what you want when you want them to. Even more confusing, different commanders will react to the same order differently - issue an order to attack to two different brigade leaders and one may charge all of his regiments and another may hang back, cautiously advancing a single regiment and then pull back when he meets determined resistance.

For a real treat try HITS or "headquarters in the saddle" where your view is looked to your actual commander's view and you have to send your orders to your units via courier. Either way, it isn't at all like more mainstream games where you have godlike control over all of your troops and they do what you tell them to, all of the time. That frustrate some people no end who really want complete control, but it's great fun if you're interested in a more realistic experience.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Cyrano

It's a brilliant system...the only one that's been able to wean my UK Kriegsspiel friends from their red and blue lead blocks.

They also care more about frontage than just about any other game on the period out there...it -- and about 1,000 other smaller things -- is what finally made me perma-delete N:TW.

And it's funny, I love the system so much that I played ACW games, but am pleased beyond reason that they've drifted into Napoleonics.

As for Histwar, I've been a cheerleader since the game belonged to Matrix and JMM, for all his trying, has never quite been able to get the UI, the AI, and the game as a whole to "click". Pity.

Do we have a dev. note on whether there will be a full-battle scenario?  I want to see it, but, even though I'm pretty facile with the engine, I can't imagine actually doing it...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Anguille

Had forgotten about this game....

One of the few games i am going to get this year (at least this is what i am telling to myself ::) )

fabius

Quote from: panzerde on January 11, 2015, 06:10:07 PM

Keep in mind that SOW is a very different sort of game. Its focused on 18th century command. As such, unlike pretty much any other period game, your troops and commanders do not always do what you want when you want them to. Even more confusing, different commanders will react to the same order differently - issue an order to attack to two different brigade leaders and one may charge all of his regiments and another may hang back, cautiously advancing a single regiment and then pull back when he meets determined resistance.

Hey, I love it when that stuff is simulated. Hmm... may give it another go.

Nefaro

Quote from: fabius on January 18, 2015, 04:14:18 PM
Quote from: panzerde on January 11, 2015, 06:10:07 PM

Hey, I love it when that stuff is simulated. Hmm... may give it another go.

Even the tutorials are fun.   :)

Grim.Reaper

On their Facebook page they quietly announced release candidate one is complete....still no announcement as to when the game will be officially released but certainly looking in good shape to be out before the battle's anniversary.  Nothing mentioned at matrix in a long time so release probably a little ways off to increase hype.....I just hope they don't hold back the release to specifically be on or near the anniversary, release it now:)

https://www.facebook.com/sowgb

Rayfer

Grim.Reaper

Originally I wasn't looking forward to it and wished they continued to put primary focus on American Civil War, but after really thinking about it, I am actually looking forward to battles that I don't have a lot of knowledge on where I can learn something new.  First day purchase for sure.

ArizonaTank

This is looking really good. 

I tried hard to be a Histwar fanboy (I even began to like the interface), but in the end, the AI's inability to be dynamic broke Histwar for me.  So hopefully this game will go where no game has gone before.

Of course I will sorely miss Histwar's editor.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

spelk