Order of Battle: Pacific has now an official release date

Started by Boggit, April 12, 2015, 09:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Quote from: airboy on August 12, 2019, 10:13:38 AM
I'm probably being slow.  Had a sleep deficit over the last two weeks when my wife went suddenly deaf in one ear.  About 99% likely her hearing in that ear is gone forever.  She had horrible vertigo initially - but her body has been learning to compensate for having only one functioning balance mechanism.  Cause is unknown.  Rare problem (about 5 in 100,000 get it), but with her symptoms it is almost always permanent, total hearing loss.  Had to take her to a lot of doctor appointments and she is on a massive steroid dose which gives her roid rage and hot flashes.

That's awful news, airboy. I wish her well!

On a lighter note I first read it as 'road rage and hot flashes', which put a completely different picture in my head for a second! :D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FarAway Sooner

Dang, Airboy, I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you and your wife are both holding up well due to this change in circumstances.

Thoughts, prayers, and good karma all going your guys' way!!

airboy

It has been two weeks and she went back to the doctor yesterday.  He said the hearing is gone and nothing can be done.  They are weaning her off the Prednizone (steroid) which has had all sorts of bad side effects.  She got an MRI this morning on the very, very low probability chance she has a tumor or growth in her head.  They have to check for it, but it is almost certainly not what happened.

She has balance issues which are improving as her body learns to cope.  She will never be able to tell the direction of sound again and her balance will never be what it was when she could hear out of both ears.  Her ability to hear when multiple people talk at once or when there is a lot of background noise is gone.

Nothing can be done.  It is a mystery to medicine why it happens and uncommon (about 5 in 100,000 people over 50 get it).  She did what she could, did it quickly, and the doctors gave her the standard treatment.

This is just one of those "it is what it is" parts of life that you have to learn to deal with.  She is depressed and somewhat angry - but she also realizes this is not cancer or something else really horrific.

BanzaiCat

I feel for her and you, airboy. My Bell's Palsy came back about a month ago and now my face is worse than it ever was. It's extremely annoying as it affects my pronunciation of 'p' and 'f' tremendously - it's extremely depressing to deal with, but all you can do is keep on keepin' on. :(

airboy

BanzaiCat

Your statement that it's a mystery to medicine is much the same here, so I feel your pain. Hope your wife is feeling better quickly. You just never know, it could get better by turning on a dime.

GroggyGrognard

@airboy, so sorry to hear about your wife's condition. I hope she finds a way to successfully manage it on a daily basis to where her comfort, health, and happiness aren't compromised.

Quote from: airboy on August 13, 2019, 11:19:39 AM
They are weaning her off the Prednizone (steroid) which has had all sorts of bad side effects.

That's good they are weaning her off. I perform bone densitometry exams (DEXA scans) on patients at the hospital I work at. Prednisone can have adverse effects on bone mass and be a contributor to bone loss.

Best of luck to her.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

FarAway Sooner

Dang, Cat, you too?  Tough health week here on the Grogheads forum...

One thing's for sure:  Getting older ain't for sissies.

Sir Slash

You speak the truth Sooner.  :notworthy:   Aristotle told me the very same thing.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Glad to see threads are still easily derailed 'round here ( :2funny: ).

Airboy, are you going to do another AAR for this new expansion?

airboy

1] I'm 3/4ths the way through the second playthrough.  Making screenshots for a review.

2] I'm going to finish my US Pacific AAR first - then make a decision on what to do next.  Only 2 scenarios left there: Okinawa and Tokyo.

BanzaiCat