Oriental Empires -- 4x historical strategy

Started by Martok, April 16, 2015, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlickJax

bugger - must buy here too. I think i have bought all his games over the years

W8taminute

registering interest in this game hence my post here to keep this thread on my radar.  It looks like the setting is pre Han dynasty so no Cao Cao or Liu Bei.  I'm going to have to learn some new historical Chinese names now.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

jomni

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Freyland

Logging in because I like to buy nice shineys with money I shouldn't spend and then complain about not having time to play them.  Medieval would have been more my preference, in part due to my cultural ignorance, but I suppose this keeps them from getting some lame copyright suit from CA. 

Sir Slash

Right. They could call it, "Not Medieval Total War". Or, "Medieval Chinese Not Totally At War". Or they could just change the setting to Middle-Earth and call it anything they want. :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Philippe

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Toonces

Hey Total War had a chance to do China and they did Rome again.  I say let the new guys have their chance!

Looks pretty tasty to me.   :P
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

I won't be able to resist early accessing this one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

This Chinese take-out will last longer than 20 min. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Just a heads-up:  The battles are *not* manually-controlled.  Here's what Smith (the lead developer) had to say about the game's combat system on Explorminate's forums: 

Quote from: NeutronHello everyone
Thanks for your interest in the game, I'm one of the developers, and I'd like to explain a bit more about the battle system.

All the battles take place in real time right on the campaign map. You don't directly control them, but instead set up your formations and give basic orders during your turn, then at the end of the turn the computer moves all the troops and fights battles where forces collide. The battles take 1 - 2 minutes of real time to resolve, but you can fast forward too. This system has a number of advantages

• All the visual excitement of a big TW style battle, without all the tedious clicking and loading screens.
  • Puts the emphasis on force composition, position and tactics
  • Makes the game play faster,
  • No need to choose whether to fight a boring one sided battle, or take unnecessary losses in auto-resolve.
  • Battles work the same way for single and mutliplayer

Personally, I'm just fine with this, as I've never been a big fan of Armada's combat model, and it's on the strategic side of the game where Smith's design abilities really shine anyway.  But I wanted to mention it for those who like to fight their battles manually. 

Quote from: Gusington on April 17, 2015, 07:43:18 AM
I won't be able to resist early accessing this one.
Same here, man.  I'll be grabbing this one the first day it's available.  O:-) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Anguille

Interesting...

It's fine for me...planning is always one of the best part (and it was crucial in games like Spartan).

@Martok: where did you get this information from? EDIT: found it.  O0

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)