!MECHAGODZILLA VS COSTA RICA! (Kaiju-a-go-go comes to Steam)

Started by JasonPratt, April 26, 2015, 11:04:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

http://store.steampowered.com/app/333210/

Look. I am not a proud man. All I need is a giant robot dinosaur and a campaign of terror and destruction across the whole earth. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?

No. It is too little to ask. For there shall be other kaiju coming. Buying in now gets the next two creature chassis for free (though they only cost a dollar extra each if waiting until their release dates later in the summer). And other planned kaiju are on the way as normal DLC later.

It is entirely possible that I shall start composing songs to this game.

(Note: Costa Rica not included.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

This looks pretty good.  Keeping my eye on this game. 

Now if only they'd remake Godzilla War of the Monsters I'd be in heaven.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Boggit

It looks pretty, but it's had some mixed reviews. Have you actually got it? If so, what is your opinion of it?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

W8, I have no idea what happened to Pipeworks 4th Godzilla 3D fighting game, Godzilla VS, but originally it was supposed to be released last autumn. Haven't heard anything from it since. I didn't get the 3rd one because I heard its Playstation version was pretty terrible (and I wasn't impressed with the revised monster lineup), but I love the 2nd one Godzilla: Save the Earth so much I bought a spare PS2 to play it once my old PS2-compatible PS3 bit the dust. (And I haven't even bothered to hook the new PS2 up! NEVER MIND I CAN PLAY MY GODZILLA GAME WHENEVER I WANT!11! ;) )

I guess they didn't earn enough money from their soul-sucking phone-burning pay-to-win 3-match Godzilla mobile game last year.  :'(

It is also possible that they decided to hold off production on it until the next Godzilla film which is slated to be a sort-of remake of Ghidora the Three-headed monster.

Boggit, yes I actually got it last night. The UI is a bit clunky, and there are a few bugs remaining but they aren't gamebreaking. (e.g. my advanced training facility needed 150K money which I had but the resource list still showed it red as though I didn't have enough. But the game recognized I could buy it anyway. If you read about a tank-tread sound playing on the world map after leaving a city, while Gino is on the way back to Island X, that's still there. Note that in the game itself the robot dinosaur is nicknamed Gino, as in Godzilla In Name Only.  :smitten: Notably, there doesn't seem to be a biological Godzilloid chassis planned yet.  :'( )

Someone complained that the meta-game doesn't proceed fast, and that's true. But that's also partly due to a subtlety of the gameplay mechanics (of which there are many), where it's (usually) more efficient to go raiding a city BRIEFLY for cash, food, energy, etc., and then leave before taking much damage (and planning rampages properly at the map's edges in order to minimize counterattacks and maximize escape time), than to continue pressing a city until the monster is forced to flee or be destroyed. It can take several days for the monster to heal from that back at home base, whereas the other way after only a few game-hours (easily sped up) your monster is ready to raid again.

Someone in the Steam reviews complained that it's a mobile game made for the PC, and that's arguably true. But it's pretty petty complaint! -- we used to call such game "indies". ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Boggit

Interesting. What would you give it out of 10?

I'm being picky, as I really have too many games (how is that possible I ask myself... ;) :2funny:), as do the kids, but it looks like it could be fun.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

8 out of 10 easily. (-2 being for some rule obscurities and the UI being a bit clunky. Once the rules are sussed out better, and the UI adjusted for, you could deduct another 1 for only having one monster yet.)

Unfortunately, there isn't a demo.  :'(

Arctic Blast

Yeah, I'll second pretty much everything that Jason has said. It's a fun little game. They took the time to personalize the cities, too. Lots of local landmarks to smash into dust.

One other glitch which I've encountered is occasionally the defense forces never actually showing up. The Defcon keeps accelerating, but not a single tank or helicopter ever arrives to stop the carnage.

Lack of any sort of documentation is really annoying, though.

tgb

Turn-based?

What we need is a true updating of Crush, Crumble, & Chomp

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 26, 2015, 01:01:58 PM
W8, I have no idea what happened to Pipeworks 4th Godzilla 3D fighting game, Godzilla VS, but originally it was supposed to be released last autumn. Haven't heard anything from it since. I didn't get the 3rd one because I heard its Playstation version was pretty terrible (and I wasn't impressed with the revised monster lineup), but I love the 2nd one Godzilla: Save the Earth so much I bought a spare PS2 to play it once my old PS2-compatible PS3 bit the dust. (And I haven't even bothered to hook the new PS2 up! NEVER MIND I CAN PLAY MY GODZILLA GAME WHENEVER I WANT!11! ;) )

I guess they didn't earn enough money from their soul-sucking phone-burning pay-to-win 3-match Godzilla mobile game last year.  :'(

It is also possible that they decided to hold off production on it until the next Godzilla film which is slated to be a sort-of remake of Ghidora the Three-headed monster.

I'll have to google Godzilla Save the Earth.  My PS2 is still functioning but stored away somewhere.   ;)

And did you say they're going to come out with a sort of remake of Monster Zero?   :coolsmiley:

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

spelk

spelk

Stomping robot Godzilla, I HAD to have it!

Damn you, Mr Pratt!

It's an amusing ditty, with a base building, special power unlocking mechanic, mech repairing, resource gathering stomp fest.

I like the way the majority of your stompiness revolves around figuring out a path of most destruction to key landmarks and explosive sites, and a route to exit when the resistance gets a little too much.

You can stomp, or swipe buildings, vomit green radioactive goo or (once researched) use your laser eye beams to wreak havoc over a city. Zapping military personnel, or treading on jeeps and tanks and zapping enemy copters buzzing at your head.

If you take a lot of damage, you have to head back, and time back at the base island takes longer to repair, using the resources collected. Each building knocked down, throws resource types up, and these are collected and used to enhance your evil base, and your mechastomper.

Obviously things start to ramp up a bit when you visit a place a few times, and their defcons go up - more hardware comes at you sooner. So I guess theres a time pressure here over the long haul to get in and out with the most resources and less damage.

Its an amusing novelty, not sure how involving it will be in the long run, but there is something delicious about wanton destruction on this scale. I always look for the oil tanks and gas (petrol) stations, and the key infrastructure of a city to hit the morale hard and fast.

Now I need jetpacks or jets in my feet to do long jumps and stomps.

Other chapters coming soon, with other monster types - carnivorous plants and what not.

JasonPratt

On updates: I noted that the game seemed a bit clunkier after the most recent one though I couldn't put my finger on why. The update comes... uh... through Steam somehow (there's a Steam window) but not through the normal Steam update sequence, if that makes any sense. It's a separate window.

On things not showing up when the Defcon rises. (This is a game mechanic where visiting a city repeatedly causes its individual threat level to rise, resulting in stronger things showing up sooner.) I haven't seen this happen yet, but I have often seen land units get stuck on road systems trying to figure out how to get to the monster. It's a bug, but kind of a feature-bug, in that it could simulate panic and miscommunication in a crisis plus lack of training in moving heavier equipment through urban areas.

JasonPratt

The two craziest glitches I've seen so far are both naval related, though. And if I recall correctly, both occur on the same map. (At any rate, I've never seen the glitches happen on other maps than where I've seen them.)

1.) Sometimes a destroyer (large surface vessel compared to patrol boats) will start spinning on its center action like caught in a tornado, going nowhere. I've only seen this happen once, maybe twice; but I've so far avoided almost every city that has destroyers parked outside.

2.) In one city (I think Panama?) the patrol boats will blithely cruise right up onto land and through buildings, treating the terrain completely like unobstructed water. They otherwise behave just like patrol boats regularly, and can be fought and destroyed the same way. Or more accurately perhaps, they behave like recon choppers. This effect is completely surreal.  :))

JasonPratt

In one of the game's many, many touches, nations will start parking roving naval or land fleets (or corps) on the rough path your monster takes to the city. They can only be avoided inbound through a workaround by canceling and redirecting the monster back to the island (I think -- I accidentally almost did this once which is the way I discovered it), but the odds of interception are extremely low because despite the little radar/sonar detection graphic around the interceptors you have to meet them exactly (practically to the pixel) to trigger. This is slightly more problematic when leaving the city, because then there's no way to avoid a collision (if one is going to happen, which again is very rare); but can be much more problematic when leaving a city because often the monster's health has been heavily whittled down.

What happens then (as I discovered last night) is that ALL THE MILITARY TECH LAUNCHES ON YOU!! Your creature has to run a gauntlet to the exit side of the map. And it's a gauntlet of freaking death.

Fortunately, monster destruction in this game carries only a time penalty (8 days to rebuild, as the core always survives and escapes) and the loss of all resources gathered in the raid. That resource loss can be painful though.

JasonPratt

W8, I was going to say no they're remaking (sort of) the movie before that (the one that also has Mothra); but then I remembered seeing words to the effect that they'll also be referencing Destroy All Monsters which was itself a loose remake of the same plot as Monster Zero (ditto Final Wars, the last Toho film per se).

So yeah, they're probably remaking Monster Zero. But with Mothra added in.