你好!我十月搬台灣住。

Started by MarkShot, May 07, 2012, 04:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

No, it's not another Chinese spammer.  It's me MarkShot (from before there was an Internet).

Someone sent me an invitation to join up.  So, I just did.

Subject says:  Hello!  I am relocating to Taiwan in October.

You may recall that I was giving away my games last year for a relocation to New Mexico.  So, we decided to just go a little further like 13,000 miles to China.

I've been very busy.  Hardly any time for games.  Busy with relocation.  I already speak Cantonese and I am now busy brushing up on my Mandarin and working for the first time on becoming literate in Chinese.

Take care, all.

BTW, "that who won WII" activation question was discriminatory.  How do you expect to sign up younger wargamers when you ask such challenging questions.  Definitely a case of reverse age discrimination.  :)

Staggerwing

Hey Mark! Good to hear from you. They do have the Internet in Taiwan so please don't be a stranger when you get settled in over there. ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Herman Hum

Good to see you busy.  We'll play an ROC v. PRC scenario next time in your honour.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Silent Disapproval Robot

Keep an eye out for those new "stamina" pills.

MarkShot

Herman,

I hope you'll do something to balance the scenario.  Like consider it an ROC win if Taiwan manages to hold out for two weeks!  :)

son_of_montfort

MARKSHOT!

Occasionally I would ask myself, "I wonder if MarkShot is ok." Since I didn't know, I could never answer myself.  ;)

Glad to see you again!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Cantonese? Then your Mandarin shouldn't be too bad. Best of luck on the move!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MarkShot

If I want to sound like I just got off the plane from Hong Kong!

Here is the amazing thing.  In two weeks, I have gone from total illiteracy to writing Chinese emails back and forth with my wife's friends and family members.  Now, I am not using Google Translate, but taking advantage of Cantonese I know already and with PC based technology tools I am bridging the gap of illiteracy.  But while I am doing this, I am actually beginning to recognize a lot of written characters and vastly speed up my Chinese keyboard input and becoming literate.  I would have never thought this possible.

MarkShot

Professor SoM,

As a "latte drinking" intellectual aren't you sorry you weren't in Marseilles to witness France's swing left?  :)

LongBlade

Good for you, Mark. I've always wanted to learn Cantonese but never had the need. I heard with 13 tones it's far more complex than Mandarin, and that if you can master Cantonese, Mandarin is simple in comparison.

I spent a few weeks in Hong Kong years ago, and my Cantonese is restricted to a few phrases all of which are dirty, most of which are double entendres that draw dirty looks (in a bad way) when I visit Chinese restaurants in the US...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

MarkShot

The truth is that you can get by in Chinese without tones.  If I say or hear one word, it would be unclear.  But things are always clear in context, since there is always a lot of redundancy in human languages.

If I say to you, "I have two blue book."  Yes, it sounds a little awkward, since I failed to form the plural properly.  But still you fully understood what I said.  Chinese can be handled just like that if you cannot manage tones.  Of course, you'll have an accent.

My mother-in-law says my Cantonese sounds like those White actors you always see on Hong Kong soap operas portraying evil British Opium dealers.  :)  On the other hand, she is always happy to talk to me.

Bison

Tiawan?  Wow.  I think I would suffer from serious culture shock from the sure number of people.

MarkShot

We were originally going to Macau which has one of the highest population densities in Asia.  Also, the area Macau we had selected was one of the most congested sections.

But reason prevailed.  Taiwan's cost of living is 1/3 to 1/2 of Macau.  And Taiwan has a very good National Health care system (includes dental); less than $100 USD/month for two people.  (I am sick of the situation in the USA.  Paying for health insurance and health care is going to bankrupt us, and not having health insurance will bankrupt us.)  Now, I can stop worrying if this will ever get fixed and I can put this huge chunk of money towards living a better life!

Also, I worked for the military in Taiwan over thirty years ago.  I went weeks without any real English dialogue.  There was only one real English language bookstore in Taipei.  But the World is now a very different place, the USA and it's culture is now just click away.

MarkShot

Well.  I got to run.  I just wanted to say it was great to run into all of you again!

I still love wargames.  I've squeezed a few games of CMBB/CMAK when I get a chance.  An occasional game of chess on my iPad when I find the time.  I still prefer the sense of noise, confusion, and battle to the mechanical precision of chess.  But I am always amazed endlessly deep chess is, and I know it is one AI that I will never be able to wipe the floor with.  Every war gamer needs such an electronic friend to get through those hours from dusk to dawn.   :)

PS:  Many you will recall for three years I was a stock trading nut with 1830-PC.  BTW, I did the stock trading thing for real for a good part of 2011.  But that's a story for another post.