Main Menu

Warlock Released

Started by LongBlade, May 08, 2012, 02:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Paradox has announced that Warlock: Master of the Arcane has been released.

They've also shared the release notes on the patch that will be going out with it:

QuoteInteractive and aggressive AI. Lots of tweaks and improvements including but not limited such as: AI do not afraid to wage war on two fronts; AI faction can now declare non-aggression pacts and alliances; AI pays attention on units in its territory and units gathering near borders of its territory.
Tactical AI – improved unit selection for battle tasks (e.g. for capturing a city).
Tactical AI – improved the usage of transport ships. Now AI tries to get its units on a shore as fast as it is needed.
Temple units were improved – unique perks for all temple units was added that give more flavour  of correspondent gods (e.g. Krolm gives to his followers a perk that makes them immune to curses and increases protection from elemental magic).
Summoned units were re-balanced: fixed the exploit that makes summoned imps more powerful than many damage spells.
Fixes in economics for patch 1.1: e.g. the population income in "alien" cities was lowered, unit spawn in neutral cities was decreased.
New global news types: Another faction has started to cast Unity spell; enemy Great mage has counter your spell; a temple was build; a portal to other world was found.
New sounds: Voice of Adviser for news and voices of Great Mages, generic news sounds.
Regeneration aura was made: Totem of Koatles now heals nearby friendly units each turn.
Bugfix: AI won't attack naval units by land melee units.
Bugfix: Rare bug with units resting.
Bugfix: hint will now work correctly during scrolling of a list by mouse wheel.
Fixed the bug that causes AI to research spell too fast on high difficulty levels.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Marty Ward

What are the system requirements? I couldn't find them on the website.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

LongBlade

Quote from: Marty Ward on May 08, 2012, 02:35:39 PM

As of yesterday they weren't posted (I was checking). I have a fairly robust quad-core laptop so I'm not the best gauge for that.

Gusington

^Do you have a review coming?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 08, 2012, 02:51:49 PM
^Do you have a review coming?

Yes but it may be a few days yet.

Gusington

No rush. And no pressure. Just know that my purchase of Warlock hinges on your review :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

I went against my better judgement and shelled out 5$ for it (I already had ~15$ worth of BC on Gamersgate).
Seems really underwhelming so far.

*Still really hard to get any awesome spells or summons, not to mention units.
*Monsters just keep coming and coming and coming endlessly being a huge nuisance.
*Only 3 races to choose from (Humans, Orcs, Undead) and little in the way of "Wizard" customization.
*No Multiplayer at all and no Hotseat mode.
*No Teaming-Up with A.I.
*In theory there are supposed to be Gods to interact with, so far I have yet to see any such interaction.
*"Quests" you are given are idiotic, make little sense most of the time (such as build a 5th harbor in a city :P ) and give petty rewards.
*Research is mostly pointless as rushing up spells really isn't that useful.
*Mana is way too important, especially since a lot of stuff has mana upkeep (all summons, all troops for the Undead at least, etc...).

Huw the Poo

Christ, that's disappointing.  I had half an eye on this one.  Let's have some more impressions from any other guinea pigs there may be!

steve58

Quote from: Marty Ward on May 08, 2012, 02:35:39 PM

They just posted a FAQ that has the reqs

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?606758-**-Warlock-Master-of-the-Arcane-FAQ-and-System-Requirements-**

Runs great on my rig, but its closer to the recommended specs....
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Huw the Poo

Wow, my PC only just meets minimum specs.  It's depressing when it gets to that time of the cycle.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on May 08, 2012, 03:02:56 PM
I went against my better judgement and shelled out 5$ for it (I already had ~15$ worth of BC on Gamersgate).

*Still really hard to get any awesome spells or summons, not to mention units.
*Monsters just keep coming and coming and coming endlessly being a huge nuisance.
*Only 3 races to choose from (Humans, Orcs, Undead) and little in the way of "Wizard" customization.
*No Multiplayer at all and no Hotseat mode.
*No Teaming-Up with A.I.
*In theory there are supposed to be Gods to interact with, so far I have yet to see any such interaction.
*"Quests" you are given are idiotic, make little sense most of the time (such as build a 5th harbor in a city :P ) and give petty rewards.
*Research is mostly pointless as rushing up spells really isn't that useful.
*Mana is way too important, especially since a lot of stuff has mana upkeep (all summons, all troops for the Undead at least, etc...).

I love it when praise for a game is practically unanimous pre-release and then the truth starts to seep out within hours of the retail hitting the streets.  This happened with Elemental and many other recent releases.  Annoying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Tpek on May 08, 2012, 03:02:56 PM

Sorry you don't like it. I'll give my own thoughts based on yours.

Quote*Still really hard to get any awesome spells or summons, not to mention units.

The game is intended to be enormous. I've had one game going for over 20 hours and 190 turns. There are awesome spells, but you'll be playing a while before you uncover them.

Quote*Monsters just keep coming and coming and coming endlessly being a huge nuisance.

The AI isn't the brightest. Once you clear out monsters the game will allow you to focus on building your city. Generally speaking the AI players left me to my own, but he AI does seem to know if you're over-extended and will try to attack you if it thinks you're weak.

Quote*Only 3 races to choose from (Humans, Orcs, Undead) and little in the way of "Wizard" customization.

There are a number of perks and spells you get to start with. As for the three races, yes, but from those you can add more. Humanoids eventually unlock elves and dwarves. Undead can unlock the draco-lich, ghosts, and skeletons. The rat-folk unlock trolls and a couple others that escape me at the moment.

Quote*No Multiplayer at all and no Hotseat mode.

Agreed. I am very disappointed about this.

Quote*No Teaming-Up with A.I.

Yup, AI isn't bright.

Quote*In theory there are supposed to be Gods to interact with, so far I have yet to see any such interaction.

Me too. Later in the game you'll get some odd quests such as "Build a shrine to XYZ" but I didn't find any clear path to do so. Seems pretty random.

Quote*"Quests" you are given are idiotic, make little sense most of the time (such as build a 5th harbor in a city :P ) and give petty rewards.

These are part of the tutorial to encourage you to build. I haven't seen "build a 5th harbor." Generally it's "build a harbor) when you don't have one in that city.

Quote*Research is mostly pointless as rushing up spells really isn't that useful.

The game has a good tutorial, but I didn't see a manual. Some later buildings need research and others give it. I found as a general rule that it's best to create buildings that give you a little of everything, then worry about specializing later on.

Quote*Mana is way too important, especially since a lot of stuff has mana upkeep (all summons, all troops for the Undead at least, etc...).

Yes, Mana is important. The Penultimate spell, Unify, which I think wins the game, takes 5000 mana to cast. I'm still working on it and have about half of that saved up.

Nefaro

James gave it a 6/8, and that being a pre-release review copy with my impression being the biggest complaint was about the economy & diplo being too easy/simple.  And notably that spamming extra cities has no restrictions, extra costs, or penalties.

If it has some punishing upkeep costs, then I'd probably consider that a good thing.

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 08, 2012, 03:57:41 PM
I love it when praise for a game is practically unanimous pre-release and then the truth starts to seep out within hours of the retail hitting the streets.  This happened with Elemental and many other recent releases.  Annoying.

Well, I like the game. It isn't without its flaws, but with 25 hours plowed into the game, I can say that there's something good there. I typically don't play games that long.

Bison

I got a weird mouse bug where is was not responding to clicks.  It'd move around screen, but would not cause it to scroll or or activate windows.  However, I restarted the game and it worked fine.  Strange little bug that I'm sure will be squashed.  Clearly I've not put enough time in yet to nit-pick the details, but I've personally liked what I've seen so far.  I foresee a late night tonight.