Grand Ages Medieval

Started by AchillesLastStand, July 15, 2015, 12:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: Greybriar on September 07, 2015, 06:38:18 PM
Amazon is charging $39.99 for pre-ordering the retail boxed version of Grand Ages Medieval which includes the two DLCs Camelot & Ancient Wonders, and a Tech Tree Poster. The release date on Amazon is 29 September 2015.

Steam is charging $33.99 for pre-ordering Grand Ages Medieval which includes the two DLCs Camelot & Ancient Wonders, and  the Digital Soundtrack. The release date on Steam is 25 September 2015.

I've read that a Kalypso account is required on the Steam version and assume it is also required on the retail boxed version of the game. Is that correct? Also, is there any other form of DRM?

Seeing that it is also available for the PS4 I wonder how well the mouse and keyboard will function on the PC version of the game.

I want so much to jump on the bandwagon and pre-order Grand Ages Medieval but I am concerned about the issues mentioned above.

There are several youtube video series on this one. I have watched about 20 hours' worth of videos...certainly enough of them to gain sufficient perspective and knowledge to base a purchase decision on.

Greybriar

No way I'm watching 20 hours of videos to try to find the answers to my queries about DRM, mouse, and keyboard. Isn't that what gaming forums are for?  ???
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Anguille

Quote from: Greybriar on September 07, 2015, 08:51:23 PM
No way I'm watching 20 hours of videos to try to find the answers to my queries about DRM, mouse, and keyboard. Isn't that what gaming forums are for?  ???
Didn't realise they still use their launcher. I think i have one game that requires it but it's not a big issue...useless but not a problem.

Mouse and keyboard shouldn't be a problem (according to what i've heard and seen in LPs). Gamesmind's team has been working on PC games only so far and i think they play on that first. Not worried.

Greybriar

Thanks, Anguille.

I just noticed on the game's Steam store page: "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Kalypso Launcher (Account registration optional)"

Now I wonder if the boxed version requires Steam to play. No mention of Steam is on its Amazon store page.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Grim.Reaper

I asked the question on the Steam forums and said box version uses the launcher.  Here was their response.

The "retail box" of Grand Ages: Medieval will install the Kalypso launcher-version of the game.
Except that, there is no difference between both versions. Even the retail pre-purchase will include both exclusive DLCs and the digital soundtrack.

Also on Amazon when Steam is required, the requirements section typically lists a Steam account is required to play and it currently does not show that.  So I am assuming Steam is not required based on that unless the info is bad.  Pretty sure the Tropico 5 box version worked the same way.

Anguille

Quote from: Greybriar on September 08, 2015, 03:26:41 AM
Thanks, Anguille.

I just noticed on the game's Steam store page: "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Kalypso Launcher (Account registration optional)"

Now I wonder if the boxed version requires Steam to play. No mention of Steam is on its Amazon store page.

Could well be that it's only the Kalypso launcher. If i see a boxed version i'll check it.

Grim.Reaper

Developer further confirmed the retail box...

The "boxed" version does not require Steam.
But the Kalypso Launcher is required and not optional like in the Steam version.

Greybriar

Greybriar

GOG.com is now offering Grand Ages: Medieval for 15% off, the same as Steam.

Freyland

With or without the DRM launcher, one wonders.

Anguille

Quote from: Greybriar on September 15, 2015, 10:47:09 AM
GOG.com is now offering Grand Ages: Medieval for 15% off, the same as Steam.

Aouch....didn't expected this...would have rather bought that version..... >:(

Rayfer

The gameplay videos of this one look great but I just don't have the $$ to buy it now at near-full price. I'll await the upcoming end of year holiday sales hoping for a bargain.

Gusington

I really like the look of it but I'm not sure I will be so effective at the economics of the game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Quote from: Gusington on September 15, 2015, 05:23:00 PM
I really like the look of it but I'm not sure I will be so effective at the economics of the game.

I just watched Kailvan's series of videos on the game.

This game is FAR larger than I thought it would be. The one I am watching, the player has about 15% of Europe, after 372 years of gameplay. This is about 20 hours of real life. There are many hundreds of cities, and his empire is next to last in size.

City spam, and the attendent micro'ing is orders of magnitude greater than any Civ game I have seen. I like 4x strategy sims, but this borders on the insane.

Grim.Reaper

Still on the fence with this one....but my resolve is becoming weak...