SSI Gold Box Games

Started by tgb, August 20, 2015, 08:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

smittyohio

Quote from: airboy on August 27, 2015, 08:50:19 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 27, 2015, 02:49:13 PM
dunno if this was already posted here or not

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-gog-rescued-13-forgotten-realms-games-from-licensing-hell/

too lazy to check :)

Very interesting.  Thanks!

These games seem pretty old school / hardcore for me, but damn if this article doesn't make me want to buy them just to rewards GOG.

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

I'm not sure why Brant hasn't bought the games yet.  They work fantastic on macs.

Rayfer

Quote from: smittyohio on August 27, 2015, 09:10:50 PM
Quote from: airboy on August 27, 2015, 08:50:19 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 27, 2015, 02:49:13 PM
dunno if this was already posted here or not

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-gog-rescued-13-forgotten-realms-games-from-licensing-hell/

too lazy to check :)

Very interesting.  Thanks!

These games seem pretty old school / hardcore for me, but damn if this article doesn't make me want to buy them just to rewards GOG.

Yes, they are very old school and hardcore, at least the Gold Box ones are. I am once again finding myself bitten by the nostalgia bug, only to find the games frustratingly difficult and with ui's that are antiquated and hard to utilize (i.e. no mouse support). At some point I have to stop buying these old games and just accept I enjoy the newer ones much more. I've spent 10 hours or so on the Gold Box games only to find myself returning to Pillars of Eternity.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on August 28, 2015, 07:21:59 AM
I'm not sure why Brant hasn't bought the games yet.  They work fantastic on macs.

I owned them back when they were first released, and the graphics looked a lot better on the Macs back then, too.

That said, Brant isn't buying anything right now, because Brant is still recovering from the Summer-of-No-Jobâ„¢ and has a stack of bills to pay off once the teaching checks start coming in.  While I was busy scraping by on one part-time teaching check, and dumping a lot of old clothes/toys at the kids consignment place, my kids were busy racking up hundred-dollar dr's bills for broken collarbones, and burning a lot gas doubling the number of trips for the youngest in preschool.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Real life blows sometimes.

Toonces

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 28, 2015, 08:12:44 AM

That said, Brant isn't buying anything write now,

No way...did you really right that?   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Rayfer

Quote from: Toonces on August 28, 2015, 08:50:28 AM

LOL...very clever Toonces. Well done!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on August 28, 2015, 08:50:28 AM

f'n voice recognition...  fixing.  ugh.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sir Slash

Funny you said that Rayfer. I've done the same thing-- Gold Box frustration leading to return to POE. But I plan on trudging through Pools of Darkness to finish what I never could 25 years ago.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 28, 2015, 09:50:19 AM
Funny you said that Rayfer. I've done the same thing-- Gold Box frustration leading to return to POE. But I plan on trudging through Pools of Darkness to finish what I never could 25 years ago.

I gave up on the Gold Box games....not because of their depth, story or battles, I just couldn't take the user interface any longer. It was a chore for me just to play the game...my biggest battle was against the UI.