[roguelike] The Ground Gives Way

Started by spelk, August 24, 2015, 04:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

If you're intrigued by Roguelikes, but are intimidated by the complexity and/or bland ASCII front-ends, then try this one out. It has a nice interface, and a gentle paced easy to understand tutorial, guiding you into a fantasy world of adventure through the use of your considered skills and imagination. It's not that heavy going, a bit of a coffeebreak RL.

The Ground Gives Way

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/

Nefaro

It's still ASCII.  :-\

I've been playing a fair dose of Caves Of Qud in the past month, since being added to Steam.  And some more Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.  And the ADOM beta.  Thank the roguelike gods for graphical tile sets.  :)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Nefaro on August 24, 2015, 01:11:54 PM
It's still ASCII.  :-\

I've been playing a fair dose of Caves Of Qud in the past month, since being added to Steam.  And some more Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.  And the ADOM beta.  Thank the roguelike gods for graphical tile sets.  :)

All of these are great. The ADOM releases are usually a lot of fun and the graphics sets are great. I really like Caverns of QUD, and I look forward to how it progresses.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

spelk

Since reading the Dungeon Hacks book recently released, which charts the people and the games from the early days of roguelikes, I've been hankering after some ASCII action - so I've been playing TGGW and Sil recently.

I guess because I'm old, I can stomach ASCII roguelikes - theres something clean about it all, something that allows me to imagine the action - obviously not as thrilling as say Sword of the Stars the Pit, but the excitement is still there with ASCII. I'm a bit tired of cutesy retro pixellated stuff actually.

Give me the bare-arsed "At" symbol anyday! :)

son_of_montfort

My friend used to make fun of me in college, when I would stop playing Dark Age of Camelot or Starcraft to play Hack. He would say "Are you playing that At-symbol game again!?"
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

spelk

Speaking of Sword of the Stars The Pit, the Gold edition is currently cheap on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233700/?snr=1_4_4__43

Well worth the effort IMHO

Nefaro

Quote from: spelk on August 24, 2015, 03:05:46 PM
Speaking of Sword of the Stars The Pit, the Gold edition is currently cheap on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233700/?snr=1_4_4__43

Well worth the effort IMHO

I have much of the SotS: The Pit stuff.  But it's been a rather mixed bag for me.  Maybe it's the small & simple map layouts or something, but it's not drawn me in for very long at a stretch.  Lacking variety in some areas, perhaps?  I think the new DLC classes helped some.