Possible new Autoduel\Car Wars game

Started by TacticalWargames, October 31, 2015, 06:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacticalWargames

Seems InXile have got the Autoduel IP. Fingers crossed and it is either WEGO or turn\initiative based. If it goes realtime I'm out.

Maybe they are looking for a duel release along side Car Wars 6th edition.

Tpek

Quote from: TacticalWargames on October 31, 2015, 06:26:49 AM
Maybe they are looking for a duel release along side Car Wars 6th edition.

I see what you did there  ;D

Skoop

Played the c64 game in the 80s as a kid.  Surprised they haven't redone it as a open world sandbox, it kind of seems well suited to that.

Dammit Carl!

Cannot express how many hours I spent with Car Wars in my youth - most notably dying in horrific ways.  Hope to see the old girl back in action!

DennisS

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 31, 2015, 03:28:44 PM
Cannot express how many hours I spent with Car Wars in my youth - most notably dying in horrific ways.  Hope to see the old girl back in action!

Like you, I loved me some Car Wars.

I was in a tournament..and took a shot at an opponents wheel, at 60 mph. I rolled boxcars, and we spend the next ten minutes watching him roll over. And over. And over, until all four sides, and his driver, was pretty much road paste. GREAT fun. I spent hours and hours designing the perfect vehicles. My favorites were those that had grease/oil canisters in the back. Nothing more fun than to watch the panic of a driver trying to make a control check on a turn, at speed.

TacticalWargames

The above shows why we need a Car Wars game..with detailed car designer aspect. One where you can experiment.

BanzaiCat

I still have all of my Car Wars box and the Uncle Albert shopping catalogs. I loved those Uncle Albert catalogs.  :smitten:

Bardolph

SJG recently released a boxed copy that appears to be pretty much a straight up reissue of the original game, except with nice solid counters this time.

My friend discovered Car Wars when it came out, and called me up and said he had a game we would play the ink off of. And we pretty much did. Had many great battles with the three original games, Car Wars, Sunday Driver and Truckstop. Favorite memories include driving the big black limo looking car through the halls of Midville Hospital chasing pedestrians, and my buddy designing a car with all the armor on the front and one side, which he then backed up against a building corner to protect the other two sides. It took an imaginative GM, and a bold pedestrian armed with a gas can and a rope to rappel on to his roof and burn him out.

As they added more and more stuff to the game we ran into more and more problems making everything work and after a near fisticuffs argument over flaming oil slicks and solid tires ( I think) we put the game to rest. Feature bloat killed more than a few games, StarFleet Battles comes to mind, along with Starfire. I'd love to have the original ziplock versions of both of those again, though I doubt anyone would play em with me lol.

Always wondered why there hasn't been a decent computer version outside of Interstate '76. I've tried a few car fighting games but never found one I liked. Seems like such a natural topic.

TacticalWargames

I recently bough the CW re issue.

As for other PC games the only one I think is worth checking out is Darklands. The movement feature is superb. Sadly it needs for me anyway an offline single player mode. If it had that I'd be all over it.

The movement mechanic would also be amazing if a Z axis was added and a WW1 air warfare game made.

Dammit Carl!

My stuff generally revolved around bikes, trikes and kami bomb laden cars as I wanted to go big very quickly and then get killed off fast.  Proto Warboys if you will.  Repeating the Night Rider's monologue from the original Mad Max film was a must at the start.

We tried a game involving cars, boats and planes on the board at the same time and boy howdy was that a ponderous attempt. 

DennisS

Quote from: TacticalWargames on October 31, 2015, 08:30:27 PM
I recently bough the CW re issue.

As for other PC games the only one I think is worth checking out is Darklands. The movement feature is superb. Sadly it needs for me anyway an offline single player mode. If it had that I'd be all over it.

The movement mechanic would also be amazing if a Z axis was added and a WW1 air warfare game made.

I played Darkwinds..which I assume you are referring to, and it was decent. Physics based movement seemed very intuitive to me. I won every game I played, about a half dozen or so. Graphics are terrible, but the gameplay was fun.

BanzaiCat

I used to do the same thing...sit and build cars for hours on end (school kid + free time = plenty of missed opportunities to study physics or otherwise make myself a better person).

This was a great game to play solo, and if I remember right there were several solitaire games too in this universe. Dammit, now I have to go dig up my books and see what I have.

Dammit Carl!

Did anyone do the GURPS rpg tie-in with their games?  Seemed too meta for me and my short-lifespaned drivers, but I could see some really neato stuff happening there.

BanzaiCat

^ I own it...somewhere. Also had a couple of the US sourcebooks too.

Dammit Carl!

Lol..I bet I do as well - put my GURPS 3rd edition stuff in a bin years ago (needed the shelf space and meant to sell a large portion of my rpg collection off so at least I got to where it was all boxed up nice and neat before not carrying through with the actual "selling," part of that plan) and I had tons of GURPS books.  Will need to look when I get home.